Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 6-Quart Programmable Searing Slow Cooker
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 29, 2013
My husband bought this for me for Christmas. It has quickly became our go-to slow cooker as it sits on our countertop it is used so much. We cook in it at least a couple of times every week. I love that it is timer programmable, has an automatic switch to warm feature, it is very well made and does not look or feel cheap. Best of all is that the actual crock portion is made of metal and not stoneware. I have cracked so many crocks since we moved out on our own, that this one feature was worth switching to the HB brand. I also like that you have the option of using the crock piece on your stovetop to brown meats and veggies, but you don't have to if you don't want. It does cook very hot, I love that! Some slow cookers don't cook very hot, this one I never have to doubt that our meals are ready after only 5 short hours on Low. The only thing that I don't care for is that the metal crock handles and the actual handles and crock itself get very hot while cooking. We have a toddler, so I make sure it is far back on the counter so his little fingers can't touch it. Other than that one aspect, it is great! I would buy it all over again if needed and highly recommend it.
on February 27, 2013
I bought this to replace a 8 year old Crock-pot brand slow cooker.
Pros: Stove top browning - really handy. Light weight - cast aluminum kettle heats nearly as evenly as ceramic. Non stick finish.
Cons: Non-insulated handles (lid is insulated) requires pot holders for any stirring or moving. I can understand maybe the inner kettle, but to not have the base unit with insulated handles is poor, corner cutting design.
So so: The timer. It just counts down. No delay start. It would be nice to set X hours on high, then X hours on medium or low.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2013
I've had a chance to use this a couple of times, and I think it's an excellent slow cooker. I haven't seared anything yet. The only complaint I have, mine doesn't seem to keep the food very warm when it switches to warm after the cooking time.

After less than one year of use, the nonstick coating has started to come off the bottom. I've been very careful with the pot, no metal utensils, etc. so I'd avoid this one!
on January 20, 2013
After breaking three stoneware inserts in less than two years, we knew we needed a slow cooker with a stainless steel insert. Being able to set the insert on a burner is a feature that we weren't expecting to use much, but it's actually been very helpful. The timer on this is a shut-off timer, not a startup timer. However, since the point of using this is to SLOW cook something, it's always been OK for us to turn it on when we leave, even if it's going to be hours before we're back.
on December 17, 2013
I actually went out of my way to find this slow cooker to replace the one I left at my mother's. She isn't well and lives 2 hours away, so I have been spending most weekends there, trying to keep her well nourished among other things. I found that cooking in larger batches and freezing portions has been most helpful and the slow cooker made this easy. My sister liked it so much that she asked me to leave it behind. After just 2 weeks, I found I couldn't live without it back home, but the local Costco no longer carried it, so I searched online. I love the fact that I can put it on the stovetop to brown meats first. In my opinion, searing meats is essential and this tool makes it simple. Also don't have to worry about breaking or cracking crockery. After living without a slow cooker for years, it has lately become an integral part of my kitchen.
on March 18, 2013
It broke down on the 30 day return mark, so I am not able to return it for a refund. I used it 7 times and on the 8th time the control panel would not light up and I was not able to turn it on. The display shows only one digit, but as I said, the cooker would not turn back on. It is very disappointing. I think this product is fine if you don't plan on using it often, but even then, breaking down after only 7 usages seems outrageous.
on March 22, 2013
Over the years I have used many different slow cookers; but. I really like this slow cooker a lot; lives up to my expectations and love the fact that I am able to brown meats without using another pan. My only problem is that the handles on both the insert and the pot itself get extremely hot when in use. I have not experienced this with other slow cookers - not a huge problem but does require that pot holders be within easy reach if you need to move, lift out insert, etc. As the outside of this cooker seems to get extremely hot, I'd advise that it be kept back on counter and out of reach of small hands.
on February 5, 2013
Good size, great to be able to brown the meat and veggies in it without dirtying another pan. I make meals for 10 people in it. It's great. It is the only non stick pan I own, so I had to buy all new cooking utensils for it so I didn't ruin the surface, but that was OK. It cooks well.
on August 29, 2015
(Edited to add: Speaking to Hamilton Beach about this problem, and I'm told the liner is NOT under warranty. My guess here is they know full well if something is going to fail soon, it will be the liner. So out to the trash it goes. And no other Hamilton Beach product will darken my door.)

So disappointed in this slow cooker.

My husband gave me this as a Christmas gift, and I was SO excited. I have been diagnosed with MS, and I tire very easily, so I've had to really cut back on my cooking. This slow cooker was intended to help me stay out of a hot kitchen, and it did that.

I use the cooker probably once a week, and am always very careful to not use metal tools and clean it carefully.

So in April, when I noticed some light spots on the interior, I didn't think "TEFLON breakdown."

Today (August), the interior is pitted all over. You can see and feel the areas where the non-stick coating has failed.

I've bought another slow cooker to replace this one, and I will contact Hamilton Beach about this, though I doubt they'll do anything about it.

I would not recommend this cooker. I don't know if there are other models from other companies that make a Teflon coated product, but I've made sure my next cooker is stoneware. I do not want a repeat of this failed coating.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2014
I received this slow cooker for Christmas and am so very happy with it. I do a lot of cooking, and sometimes I can't be home to do last minute cooking for dinner, but still want to serve my family a quality meal. This allows me to set how long I want my food to cook, and then will automatically set it to warm when it's done. I love the fact that the insert can be used on the stove. This allows me to saute onions or brown meat prior to the slow cook without using a separate pot. Cleanup is very easy as well. This is a wonderful appliance for any kitchen.