5.0 out of 5 stars Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 42 -- recommended
Published on October 9, 2008 by Amazon Customer

Published 19 months ago by R.C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 42 -- recommended, October 9, 2008
Amazon Customer (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hamilton Men's H70555533 Khaki Field Black Dial Watch (Watch)
A swiss-made timepiece, with observation back to show the ETA 2824 movement and an easy-to-read face. At 42mm, this is larger than the traditional Hamilton Khaki, but as it is not overly heavy, and lies flat on the wrist, you will not be reminded that you are wearing it. Hamilton provides probably the best cost to value ratio of automatic watches available, and this model shows off the traditional stylings, unlike some newer designs, which seem like they are attempting to show off by being unusual. I have also found that this watch looks good with any number of aftermarket straps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made unit, September 16, 2012
Did tons of research before purchase. Most all reviews were accurate. Fit, finish, presentation, accuracy have met expectations.

Regarding accuracy-----1st week met with +2 sec gains over 24 hr periods. After 10th day of ownership, inadvertently dropped it whole transiting airport. Seems to have altered accuracy to -3 sec losses over 24 hr period. Will run another month and then have regulated, if I even do that. Like most, would rather have gain than loss, but for an everyday wear watch, these gains/losses are totally acceptable. The shock of the drop did not otherwise affect timekeeping. Will admit, tho, I feared the worst as my only other automatic watch has been a Seiko diver (200 meter) and it stopped on me while digging a post hole for my mailbox.

Also, the hands line up exactly with the markers, and I mean, exactly......when the second hand sweeps "12," the minute hand is exactly on the relevant minute marker. This is amazing and impresses me greatly. Nothing worse than inaccuracy in this regard.

Regarding craftsmanship, I am really impressed with the overall design, display and finish. I did note a small anomaly at 11 o'clock where crystal
joins case. Specifically, the case has a depression as if the maker "over Dremeled" the fitting of the crystal to the case. Only caught it in the sunlight, but I thought it cool in the "one-of-a-kind" vs. "cookie-cutter" sense. The red tip of the second hand is a killer design feature, too. Adds panache to the simplicity of the face, but not overbearingly so. Just the makers expression and a thoughtful one, at that.

Initially, too, I thought this watch had a screw-down crown, and was dismayed when I saw upon opening that it was only a push-crown type. I fear eventual water seepage, of course, but have yet to subject to immersion or shower or truck washings. Am trusting the 10bar advertised resistance and will subject to water as soon as the newness wears off...(honestly, I probably would have already dunked it, if the leather band weren't so nice.).

Luminosity, frankly, is poor, but my previous watch was a Luminox. (Nothing glows like a Luminox, and never let anyone kid you about that)...still, if some ambient light touches this one, it does lume for 20 min or so, just not with the authority of tritium.

In sum, if you are looking for a quality auto with style, ruggedness (the drop was from my wrist to the linoleum floor) acceptable accuracy, presence and a wonderful sense of the WWII "military field" look, look no further.....Hamilton gets it right.....

Regards......

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch, short band, June 7, 2012
This watch is gorgeous. I have never paid this much for a watch before, and this is my first automatic watch. The watches I like are simple, easy to read, comfortable, and elegant without being too dressy. This watch has all that in spades. The second hand with the red tip is a wonderful detail. The luminescent numbers and hands are super bright. They shine while walking down a dimly lit hallway. The clear back with a view of the mechanism is a nice touch as well. In my opinion, the watch itself could only be made better by removing the words "Hamilton" and "Khaki Automatic" from the face, as that stuff is unnecessary.

Now, about the strap. I must first confess that I am 6'3" and 285 lbs. My left wrist is about 8". The strap that came with the watch I can barely clasp on the first or second hole. It is extremely stiff, but that would get broken in over time, if it were long enough. It was so uncomfortable I thought I might have to just return the watch. However, I have a $40 Invicta watch with a longer strap that fits this watch perfectly. I will probably look for a nicer long strap, but it is a little disappointing that I have to buy a strap for a $350 watch. So if you are a big guy, just be aware of that.

Also, I waffled for a bit about getting the 38mm or 42mm watch. I am really glad I got the 42mm. I really like the way this watch looks on my wrist. The watch is not very thick, so it does not stand too high off the wrist either. The smaller one would be good for a much smaller person.

I bought the watch here on Amazon; it shipped from a third party seller. The shipping was fast and the package arrived in good condition. On the whole, very happy with the purchase. I will edit in a few months or a year to comment on how it has held up over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch is Excellent, Jomashop is Terrible, October 24, 2012
This is a beautiful, well made watch. All of the superlatives mentioned in the other reviews are completely accurate. My husband loves it.

As a longtime Amazon shopper, my advice is to ALWAYS BUY THROUGH AMAZON. Their customer service is the best of any retailer, by far. I made the mistake of buying this watch from JOMASHOP. The customer service rep I spoke with was rude, condescending and nasty and refused to do anything about a small issue I had with the order (not the watch itself). Avoid Jomashop at all costs!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY! Watch did not work correctly, could not be repaired and I did not receive full refund, May 5, 2013
I loved the way this watch looked and how it felt on my wrist. But it was a dud. This automatic watch stopped running while I was wearing it. Amazon indicated it be sent for repair, instead of giving me exchange or refund. So I sent it to Swinford Jewelers as instructed. After I got it back, same problem: it just stopped running while it was on my wrist. So I sent it back to Amazon with a note explaining that the repair shop was unable to fix it. They gave partial refund because of "re-stocking" fee. So I lost around $100 and they're going to sell this defective watch to someone else?!?!

Do not buy a watch from Amazon's so-called "watch shop". I can't believe they screwed me on this expensive item. I have purchased many things from Amazon in the past and I never expected to be scammed like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch at a great price, August 13, 2006
Great watch at a great price. Beautiful see-through caseback shows the Swiss ETA2824 movement and is great for showing your friends who aren't watch enthusiasts what an "automatic" movement is.

I got the leather band but now I'm thinking the bracelet might have been a good idea because it's been very hot recently and sweat is drenching the leather band.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, with a couple reservations, April 8, 2013
I really do like this watch, it fills the perfect space in my collection. It is a classic military style without being a "flieger", which is what I wanted when I bought it. This was my first Swiss-movement automatic watch.

It looks great, I am glad I did not get the smaller sized model. I think I have fairly average wrists, and the smaller one would have looked weird. This is not oversized or even really large in the first place, so it is perfect.

Pros: Classic style, domed sapphire crystal, nice exhibition caseback, solid timekeeping, decent power reserve, easily matchable color brown leather band. ETA 2824-2 automatic movement is found in many watches costing ten times more than this. Real solid value.

Cons: The second floating loop on the watchband fell off after about 6 months of ownership. Not a huge deal, there isn't really enough band left after the first fixed loop to need a second, but still...

Side notes: This watch is loud... I can hear the movement working from over six inches away from my ear, especially if the room is particularly quiet. Click-lak-lik-lak-lik-lak really fast... Way louder than either of my seiko automatics. This isn't necessarily bad, it's kind of cool actually, but worth mentioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Wrist Watch, March 14, 2013
For about 2 months now, I've been wearing this 42mm model every day. After much research, I ordered it and am not disappointed at all. Extremely functional and beautiful without the unnecessary flash! Excellent value!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a nightmare - sent us a broken watch!, January 25, 2014
I ordered this watch for my husband as a gift because I loved the look and thought Hamilton was a good product. Very disappointed to discover it lost time, had a noticeable clicking sound and ultimately stopped working. Certified Watch Store would not send us a new one and would not return our money…..it was after the one month return period. We sent it to them twice for repair, after detailed conversations and emails with them about the problem, only to have the same watch sent back with the problem unresolved and no explanation. We suspect the watch was never even looked at by them - just repackaged and sent back to us. We filed a complaint with Amazon and received a "sorry we can't help you with this" response. We took the watch to a local watch repair place who told us that an inner piece was broken and it would cost more that the watch to repair it. $430 down the drain.

Hamilton has a 2 year warranty if the international warranty card included in the box is date stamped. Guess what? The card is not stamped. Very disappointed with Certified Watch Store and Amazon with this experience. Next step is to contact American Express, the Internet Fraud Complaint Center, and the Better Business Bureau for help.

Amazon is great for books or items that don't have moving parts. We've been ripped off and have learned an expensive lesson…..

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy on the net???, January 10, 2012
This is hard to beat at the discounted price. And still Swiss made!!! Upgraded ETA movement. Handsome. A classic. Reliable. Sapphire. In 4 or so years this might need a service as it is an automatic movement. That is probably $200 or more. So this might sort be sort of a disposable watch (sell on ebay at that point) or pay the $200 - $250. (Strange on a $350 watch.)

Maybe some Tissots can compare in price-to-value but I don't know of any.

Get it while you can!!!

P.S. I recommend the large 42mm, not the 38mm (for most men).

Hamilton Men's H70555533 Khaki Field Black Dial Watch
$575.00 $438.00
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.