Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 12, 2015
Good ending for the trilogy. Will have to try more of her work. Great characters, strongly built. It's lonely at the top.
on December 31, 2014
great book
on August 10, 2014
The highest recommendation that I can give this book was that it was not as terrible as the previous two in the series. Some of the new characters are actually likeable, and have a cause worth fighting for, but I must say it was difficult at worst and confusing at best to start the story in a whole new setting with all new characters, until you 'met up' with some of the ones from the previous two books.
on July 14, 2014
I purchased this series all as one book. While it began strong, it faded fast. I found myself halfway through the series with little desire to continue forward. I lost interest fast. I did, however, manage to finish this. It was long, and there was a lot of irrelevant information and details. I found it overall to be tiring, and I can't say it’s a series Id personally recommend. I enjoyed the original concept, and creativeness this offered, but that’s about all I appreciated regarding this series. It just seemed to go on and on.................... I tired of the plot and characters before completing book 2. I should have just stopped there.
on May 20, 2014
Bad things happen but with good people fighting for their future. At last the good wins at a horrible cost, but wins.
on February 25, 2014
The Hammer of God series isn't for everyone . There is a lot of graphic violence . However it is superbly written . Karen Miller makes you care about the characters and her detail of places and the cultures she created for this series are astounding. I really got sucked into this story and couldn't put it down ! Each book is very long , but the momentum is so constant that you can't put it down once you start.
on January 14, 2014
Another I bought and read the enjoyed and then donated to the local Library to finish a series. Worth the price.
on September 19, 2013
Excellent storyline throughout the three novels. Amazing characters that held me totally enthralled. Would certainly recommend this trilogy to all Ms Miller's fans.
on June 25, 2013
Karen Miller has great books. I have read everything by her and loved each and every one of them. Loved this series.
on April 26, 2013
Karen Miller's lengthy trilogy concludes with "Hammer of God" (Orbit, 784 pages). Miller hinted in the first book ("Empress") that the gods that drive The Godspeaker Trilogy might actually make an appearance - but instead they, like so many gods, did only enough to move the plot along, and never explained themselves. Clearly, the gods have power, and can do much to shape the world, but if so, then there must be an explanation for evil, which never comes.

That said, Miller does pull off an interesting trick, switching up our expectations of heroism by shifting the ground drastically from book one to book three, and also having the gods tab some unlikely characters as their emissaries.

In the end, though, the success of any long trilogy ("The Riven Kingdom" is book two) depends on the narrative skill and character building of the author, and Miller does better in the second than the first. But she is simply too wordy, and all the books could have been trimmed by at least a hundred pages with no loss in effectiveness, especially "The Hammer of God." And then, despite all those words, the climactic battle between good and evil ends in an almost throwaway line.

Just once, I would like a fantasy author to explain the source of the mysterious prophecies, or the mechanism by which the gods interact with the world, or why the gods allow evil to flourish to the point that so much blood must flow to contain it. Miller seemed to be on the brink of such a move, and in fact has witch-men travel to a kind of twilight zone where the gods might live, but never quite realizes that vision - and in falling short of that, the Godspeaker Trilogy also falls short of what it might have been.