4.0 out of 5 stars I love the spatula

1.0 out of 5 stars Lot of product, little quality
Published on May 25, 2010 by Green Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars Lot of product, little quality, May 25, 2010
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
Bought this for my daughter's first apartment thinking it would be a great starter set of needed kitchen items. During the first week I broke the scissor handles while cutting open a package, the peeler is minimally effective and the knives proved difficult to cut through raw meat and fresh bread. The cooking utensils are average and will work just fine, but the knives and scissors are useless. I ended up buying her another set of knives as I felt guilty that even I could not find them suitable to do the menial things they were meant to do.

I would NOT recommend this set to anyone. I would spend a bit more money and get a quality set of knives and a separate set of utensils.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the spatula, October 29, 2010
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
This little box has a bit of everything and most of it is pretty useful. The knives are sharper than I expected them to be but still invest in a sharpener because they dull quickly. All of the spoons and spatulas are pretty strong and there is one with an angle that is perfect for pancakes. The corkscrew, ice cream scoop and the peeler are all pretty delicate. I broke all three within the first use or so. There is no bug chopping knife and the scissors did start to stick after I washed them. All that aside it would be great for someone that is just getting into cooking.

2.0 out of 5 stars you get what you pay for, October 3, 2010
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
I was looking for a starter set when I moved into my new house a few months ago. Should have saved my money and got something worthwhile. This is super low quality. Dull knives, flimsy plastic. Definitely not something I would recommend to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worth Less Than You Thought, March 8, 2012
Jaimison (Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
We bought this set while on a bit of a shopping spree to update our kitchen from hand-me-down status. We never expected top of the line from this set, but I wasn't prepared to be this disappointed. Like several others mentioned, pieces were missing. The knife block is very "shop class", though at least in my shop classes, we learned how to finish woodworking projects. And half of the steak knives will end up thrown in a drawer because there's only 6 slots in the block for them.

The knives are very cheap and are a kitchen accident waiting to happen. The blades aren't the "smooth sharp" one expects, they're jagged and rough like they've been sharpened on gravel and tear more than anything. Maybe while they are still sharp, they'll cut food, but I also expect them to scratch up my plates and mutilate my cutting boards.

Speaking of cutting boards, that is about the only thing I actually like about this set. Yes, it's tiny and flimsy and slides all over the place, but it's decent enough for when I just want to cut a few slices of tomato instead of pulling out the real cutting boards. And I suppose it's good for resting spoons on.

The measuring cups and spoons are as cheap as you can get, and they are constantly falling off the rings. I don't expect the cheese grater to actually hold up against cheese. Couldn't comment on the corkscrew since we only got half of one and we didn't get a can opener at all. The Ice Cream Scoop is also pretty flimsy, but I suppose it could still be handy for scooping cookie dough or some other soft item.

The absolute worst of the worst in this set is all the plastic cooking utensils. They are terribly flimsy and the ladle actually scares me as I feel it bend under the pressure of soup. But that is not what gets it one star. It's the horrible taste and smell that it has.

Everything, and I mean -everything- that touches these utensils comes away with a nasty smell and taste. No matter how much we scrub and clean them, the smell and taste won't die.

I made ravioli last night and used the spoon to stir the sauce. Just sticking the spoon in to stir the sauce, probably about 30 seconds exposure total, was enough to taint the whole batch. I also used the same spoon to scoop out some barely lukewarm steamed veggies and they also ended up tasting and smelling like the spoon. I mentioned soup earlier, and yes, that was also tainted by just limited exposure to these utensils. I'm so glad I kept my other cooking utensils because for all the effort I put into making nice food, I don't want it coming out tasting like you're licking a tire.

All in all, this set is a waste of money, and in the end, kitchen space. The cheap single pieces you find lining the aisles of the grocery store are far superior to what this set has to offer. There are simply no saving graces to this set.

1.0 out of 5 stars very dissapointing, March 1, 2012
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
I purchased these expecting that they would not be the top of the line because of the price, but I was expecting better than what I got. The knife block wasn't even treated and still had rough spots in the wood, plus it was dented badly when we received it. The cookie sheets were also very flimsy. One of these came bent as well. The little cutting board was also very cheap and flimsy. I would not recommend this to anyone who wants decent utensils in their kitchen, because these are crappy. Needless to say, I printed the return label within an hour of receiving the box in the mail....

4.0 out of 5 stars It's definitely a starter set, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
The pieces are sturdy considering the price.

Comes with quite the variety.

The knife set leaves a lot to be desired, so be prepared to buy another block or a couple of specialty knives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful except missing sizzors, April 14, 2010
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
Great deal. Huge assortment for the money. You won't need another tool forbyour cooking needs

3.0 out of 5 stars Spend an extra buck and get a better brand!!!, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
Knives are not even sharp enough to cut veggies leave alone meats and other stuff!!! I won't recommend until and unless you are really looking for a stop gap kind of an arrangement and looking to buy an expensive one later on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter kit!, March 23, 2011
Cyndi Lupton (Independence, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
It's a great little starter kit for any kitchen. Have no complaints. Quality is decent, but keep in mind with the great price comes some sacrifice. It's not a fancy set so the cooking spoons are not extremely durable. The can opener did break the first week but I still say it is a good buy for the money! They thought of everything and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg! I'd say it's a great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good kitchen starter kit, July 22, 2010
This review is from: Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set (Kitchen)
Purchased this for my son's first kitchen. It includes most of the kitchen tools you normally toss into kitchen drawers, plus a wood block with steak knives along with a few kitchen knives. The knives are not gourmet quality, but at this price, you get more than what you are paying for. Even includes a plastic box designed to ensure that you cut bagels down the middle without cutting your hand.

Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set