Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on February 28, 2010
I have been dyeing yarn and fiber for a few years and have many books about dyeing. I just received this book and was VERY surprised! It have become my favorite dyeing book. The book has excellent step-by-step directions for many methods of dyeing. The photography is great. There is a small section on color theory that is excellent. The spiral binding allows the book to be open flat allowing you to refer to the directions as you are dyeing. I have never reviewed a book before, but had to make a review for this one. If you can only buy one book about dyeing, buy this book!
on April 16, 2010
I bought this book at a local book store, but originally, I was looking for the Teach Yourself Visually book on Hand Dyeing. I was worried this one wouldn't be what I was looking for, so I spent a good amount of time in the book store flipping through each page and checking out all the pictures. My husband wasn't thrilled about it, but I wanted to be absolutely sure I could use it, as I am a very visual learner. It turned out, I felt comfortable buying it, and it was great! I have done one Kettle Dye and two Hand-Painted skeins after buying this book. My first Hand Painting experience without this book was sort of a disaster. The article I read said to use a turkey baster or baby syringe. When I did this, I used way too much dye and it all bled together underneath. It was so disappointing. This author suggested using a foam brush to paint the yarn, and this worked fantastically. Now, I'm not saying I couldn't have found that information on the interenet somewhere, but it is just so nice to have all these different techniques in one book with color pictures. Plus, the hidden wire binding that allows the book to lay flat is perfect while you are actually dyeing yarn. Its just like using a cookbook when making something you have never made before. I think its essential for the beginner dyer. It is very helpful, and she even has a very resourceful list of places to buy your dye from. Very helpful for me because I can't seem to find dye in my area. I highly recommend it.
review image review image review image review image review image
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2010
This book is a treat! Clear well thought out narrative, instructions, and photographs fully support the "How-to" and take the mystery out of dyeing. Simple supplies can often be found at tag or garage sales. Even a boring first shot at dyeing yarn can be livened up with a "re-do" of a second dyeing sessions....included is even a clear lesson on color. The spiral binding is a real plus...the book lies flat! This book is fun---the techniques can easily lead to a multi-generational project! Go ahead give it a try!
Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Custom-Color Your Favorite Fibers with Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques
on September 12, 2011
I have almost every book on spinning, weaving and dyeing that's out there and thought this sounded good to add to my library. Little did I know that it would become my all-time FAVORITE book on dyeing!! I started reading it one morning then had to stop to do other things, but it was so good I went back to it in the evening and didn't put it down until I finished it near midnight!

It is very well written, clear, easy to understand and "friendly". You almost feel as if you are there experiencing the dyeing process right along with the author. There are many terrific tips to make dyeing easier and pleasing. The photographs are outstanding and her method of teaching about color with her ingenious color grid and grains of rice is fantastic! Much easier to use/understand than the common color wheel. Not to mention, with the book you get the terrific color grid to use from then on.

Another positive thing about the book is its binding. It is a spiral-bound hardback with the spiral wired spine underneath the outside hardback spine. This allows you to open it flat to use when working and also keeps the book from getting caught on things as exposed spiral-bound books often do. There are eight interesting knitting projects (spanning various levels of experience) with directions and a full color picture of the finished item.

I have been dyeing fiber for a couple years now, yet still found several of the things she mentioned to be new and helpful. I am going to request that it be added to the library at the art college that I attend.

This book is truly outstanding and I am ordering another copy today for a Christmas gift for a friend!

KUDOS to the author, Gail Callahan!!!
on April 28, 2010
I'm an avid knitter who is frequently frustrated that the colors I envision for a project are not available in the gauge or type of yarn I seek. Compromising the vision is almost always a necessity. People suggested I learn to dye, and I acquired six dyeing books over the years. Each of them intimidated me. This one encourages the dyeing neophyte to try it by making the process easy, clear, and fun! I can do this - at home, without a lot of expensive equipment. The chapter on color is especially helpful in developing color-choosing confidence. I'm delighted to have this book because I am already on my way to realizing my project visions!
on May 26, 2011
If you have not dyed yarn before or are just barely beginning this is a GREAT book to get. If however, you are an experienced dyer, you probably are not going to learn anything new. It is very well done and a novice would learn all they needed to become really comfortable dyeing. For some reason other reviews made me think there was some really unusual or unique methods presented but as a professional dyer it was pretty much what I already knew. No knock on the book, just letting other dyers know ;) I know we are ll always keeping an eye out for new things to learn!
on February 27, 2010
Gail's book is a treasure and is written for the timid adventurer. It inspired me to try my own hand at something that has seemed so technical and picky. She writes in a very matter of fact way, taking into account all of our fears and talks more about the wonders of the process than about achieving some specific end. She makes the journey into color and all the joy that can bring into something magical and fun.
on April 28, 2015
I was looking for something with a little more depth than this book. It's a nice book, and the author tells how to dye fiber and yarn, but only in the most general terms. There are a few patterns at the end of the book, but I think they are unnecessary to this text. I didn't learn anything new, and I consider myself a beginning dyer. I would like more information on blending colors. The author goes through the basic color wheel, and explains terminology. But I already know how to combine yellow and blue to make green. How do you make other colors, like teal?
on February 21, 2010
I have so many ideas and plans, thanks to Gail's comprehensive and accessible book. It has the same supportive, encouraging tone that I experienced in an introductory dyeing class with Gail. The production values seem very high, from the paper, to the quality of the photographs, to the binding--I think all instruction books should lay flat!
on March 4, 2010
All kinds of fun and creative ways to break into dyeing are presented in this amazingly comprehensive and easy to read book. I love the logical layout of the book as it has chapters on equipment (readily available in most homes), fibers, types of dye, colors, huge section of techniques (my favorite section) and some lovely patterns for small items on which to practice. I would say the focus is on dyeing animal fibers and yarn, especially wool although others are discussed as well. Numerous full color pictures throughout reinforce the directions and text. The book has a nice enclosed spiral binding so it lays flat and the text, headings, highlights are printed in such a readable font with nice contrast to the background--so eye friendly! Most importantly, the author encourages fearless creativity and very practical, hands-on methods with readily available supplies. A novice would feel comfortable getting started, but I also think there is much to be explored by a more experienced person. I can't wait to dive in!