4.0 out of 5 stars While not what I expected, a great reference book
I was hoping for pages filled with fonts A-z and 0-9 in hand drawn styles and seeing how they were applied to ads, flyers, etc. Instead, several examples per artist are shown in alphabetical order by name of the artist. Website references are give for most artists.
This book is extremely liberating given the approach I typically apply to typography and typesetting.
Published on January 6, 2008 by meBizarro

3.0 out of 5 stars Some gems, the rest; not so much
I was really looking forward to receiving this book. It arrived and I opened it on the best design. There are a couple of real gems in there, but there is a big gap between these gems (Adam Haye, Jose Ricardo Cabral Cabacos, A.J. Purdy and Luke Ramsey) and the rest.
Published on August 24, 2008 by Adam Chapman

4.0 out of 5 stars While not what I expected, a great reference book, January 6, 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Some gems, the rest; not so much, August 24, 2008
Adam Chapman "Adam" (Arnhem, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, November 2, 2007
B. Chlapek (Columbia, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hand Job: A Catalog of Type (Paperback)
This book pulls together hand done type from all kinds of sources. If you are a graphic designer or illustrator, this is an overwhelming source of inspiration, and you will look at it everyday. It has something for everyone, and is worth every penny and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars So cool it got stolen, May 16, 2008
This review is from: Hand Job: A Catalog of Type (Paperback)
I bought this book and it truly is awesome. I immediately embraced the hand drawn medium. I was lucky enough to have an appropriate project. When I brought it into work (I work at a Vegas ad agency) I learned a fellow designer had his copy stolen. The more resources the better, you'll want your own copy of this, but stealing books or ideas is just wrong. Buy this sucker!

3.0 out of 5 stars okay but not the best, April 14, 2009
krautland (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hand Job: A Catalog of Type (Paperback)
this book is solid and thankfully comes with urls but the best page certainly is the cover. I had high expectations and was a bit let down. I strongly recommend flipping through it before deciding whether to purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes me want to draw, December 15, 2008
This review is from: Hand Job: A Catalog of Type (Paperback)
oh. my. gosh. I love this book! so inspiring and full of eye candy. makes me want to draw...even though I'm not very good at it. it's nice to see typography as art.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much of the same, December 18, 2012
TGL (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hand Job: A Catalog of Type (Paperback)
With 250 pages to display a craft that's all about uniqueness, this book has a lot of the same style over and over. Most of the examples fall into the category of scrawly, grungy, minimally-artistic hand-lettering. While this style certainly merits some attention, there's just too much of it. As an illustrator who loves hand-lettering, I know there are many more styles and artists doing interesting work out there, but this book overlooks most of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, January 24, 2012
This review is from: Hand Job: A Catalog of Type (Paperback)
The best thing about this book is the name. I feel like whoever put this book together was trying too hard to fill pages and got to a point where it didn't matter what went into it. There are a few gems, but there is a lot of crap that looks like what I used to doodle in 7th grade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, October 27, 2008
This review is from: Hand Job: A Catalog of Type (Paperback)
I discovered this book almost a year ago, and wanted it instantly. Only the price stopped me from purchasing it then and there. The seller's price for the new book was unbeatable, and though the shipping was a little slow (expedited wasn't available), the book fulfilled all of my expectations. It was an incredible purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, June 2, 2008
Joshua T. Gajownik (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hand Job: A Catalog of Type (Paperback)
I'm a little biased because i am in the book. but it really is something i pick up at least once a week and page through. pops off the shelf. Mike did an awesome job curating this book and all of us in it, owe him many thanks. plus, the title is simply classic.

Hand Job: A Catalog of Type
Hand Job: A Catalog of Type by Michael Perry (Paperback - August 1, 2007)
$35.00 $25.84