5.0 out of 5 stars Hand Lettering

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a basic calligraphy book
Published on August 24, 2011 by Hello Kitty Ellen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a basic calligraphy book, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Hand Lettering: Simple, Creative Styles for Cards, Scrapbooks & More (Paperback)
This book didn't really work for what I bought it for - handdrawn fonts. It's called "Hand Lettering" but its really a calligraphy book. Calligraphy uses special markers or pens with slanted nibs. I wasn't looking for any calligraphy info, only typefaces that I could re-create by drawing them by hand. I found a lot of the artwork and examples a little dated....like something you would be taught in a high school calligraphy class. I also bought Scrapbooker's Handwriting Workshop which was more helpful - it has lots of typefaces/fonts that are suitable for copying by hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand Lettering, November 11, 2009
This is a particularly wonderful book. I am a novice calligrapher and have been practicing italic handwriting for several years. Once I started using this book, I am writing many different kinds of alphabets, all useful in my card making hobby. The authors are excellent teachers (I wish I could take classes from them), and their instructions are easy to follow. This is the best calligraphy book I have ever seen, and I have bought it as a gift for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand Lettering, January 31, 2011
What a fun book...it's VERY newbie friendly...I have hand lettered for years but
wanted to see what was new out there, and there were a few fun alphabets that I had
not seen before. There are MANY ideas for someone new to hand lettering, lots of
great full color photos of things to make, where to use the alphas, and of course
directions on HOW to make the letters. It really is geared towards a new-2-letting
person, but I am keeping it cause you never can have too many fun art related books,
can you???

5.0 out of 5 stars An additional resource for you to improve scrapbooking etc., January 9, 2010
I bought the book to help me journal(when I scrapbook) with better lettering. A way to improve all my lettering on cards,tags, banners. Another way to make my scrapbooking item more useful, beautiful; especially more me or us as a family.I don't always want pre created items. A nice resource book for my collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, September 10, 2011
I haven't tried lettering yet, but I have read through the whole book.

The beginning sections about the various utensils and paper is a little overwhelming at first. I wanted to dive right in and start lettering and then I got a little overwhelmed reading about so much stuff. Finally, I decided to just read through it for info, work with what I already own for now, and maybe get more later.

Also, the talk about making grids and measuring things overwhelmed me too.
I do think it's a great idea to do what they say so you can master hand lettering to the best of your abilities.
However, I also think that for if you're doing this for fun, good at eyeballing, and it looks good in the end, you've managed what you wanted to achieve.
((Not all of us are planning to do this professionally. Most of the cards I make get thrown away by the recipients anyway. ;P))

Once you get to the actual fonts, I do have one critique:
I wish that there were little arrows showing which strokes to make in what order for the more flourishy and fancy ones, sort of like what a lot of calligraphy books do. This pertains more to the hand lettering alphabets vs. drawn (which are basically outlines).

Just my thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lettering guide!, August 3, 2011
This book is really inspiring. I am taking the 365 day challenge by writing and drawing in my journal everyday, so having a great reference for creative lettering has been invaluable. I like the project ideas as well! Please get this book if you are interested in adding some great lettering to your repertoire of skills!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand Lettering: Simple Creative Styles for Cards, Scrapbooks & more, May 10, 2011
This book offers many variations on lettering forms that can be used by non calligraphers as well as calligraphers. I spent two weeks just playing with all the variations that were offered. I recommend this for anyone interested in "doing something different".

5.0 out of 5 stars Graphic recording/Sketchnoting, January 13, 2012
Katiebean (United States) - See all my reviews
This is the best book I've found for developing fonts for graphic recording and sketchnoting. Many of the fonts are professional looking -- clean rather than cutesy-scrapbooky so they will work in a professional setting. They are possible to use on the fly after a bit of practice. And because the background of the work is calligraphy, a lot of the letter forms depend on the marker and not the markee. That means that once you learn how to use the tool to make the letter, you're golden. The book includes good explanations about use and spacing as well. All in all a really great hand drawn font book

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful & inspiring, August 13, 2011
I have used this book a lot. The hand lettering is mostly "drawn" letters whichh are fun, easy and can be very attractive depending on how you decorate. Donley give lots of decorating and layout ideas. Good section on lettering tools and measuring tools. I like this book. It inspires me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Letting as it should be, January 16, 2013
With craft projects such as hand made cards or just lettering in journals this is a quick and easy guide!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Hand Lettering: Simple, Creative Styles for Cards, Scrapbooks & More
Hand Lettering: Simple, Creative Styles for Cards, Scrapbooks & More by Marci Donley (Paperback - September 1, 2009)
$17.95 $10.96
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.