5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference for All Singers, April 28, 2004
Student (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
Professor David Adams skillfully offers keen insight into the basics of Italian, German, and French diction. In addition to covering the most general rules, he goes on to explain common exceptions and more elusive nuances of each language within the context of a singer's perspective. Some familiarity with the International Phonetic Alphabet is helpful but not necessary.
This book will prove a tremendous asset for any singer whose goal is more than simply singing correct notes. It will assist in adding that element of expression only possible with the clarity of the text as it was intended by the composer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Diction Book for Singers, December 30, 2011
Willie Anthony Waters (Hartford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Handbook of Diction for Singers: Italian, German, French (Paperback)
I have long used the appreciated David Adams' textbook A HANDBOOK OF DICTION FOR SINGERS. Having seen the 2nd edition that a colleague owned, I decided to purchase it. It is even better than the original. The thing I like about this book is that it is concise, direct, practical, easy to read and comprehend, and is not bogged down in too much academic rhetoric as some other diction texts I have studied. I highly recommend it for singers and teachers.

Willie Anthony Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome teacher made awesome book!!!!, March 19, 2008
Prof. Adams was my previous voice teacher at College-Conservatory of Music at University of Cincinnati. Now I study voice at University of Illinois. We used his book for Diction class. Every terminology and explanation is very clear. It is best reference book for singers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but look for the new edition, June 19, 2008
This is an excellent resource that I've used many times in my song study. I recently purchased the updated 2008 edition also by Adams, and it contains much of the same great material. I'd recommend either edition, but the latter does have more current research that makes it a bit more desirable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, October 4, 2009
Love the book. It's exactly what I needed for class. Excellent book for anyone wanting to learn diction for Italian, German, or French.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this for my course, September 3, 2013
My favorite Diction book. The rules are explained, not just listed. I teach collegiate vocal diction, and use this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, June 27, 2013
This is probably the most clear and comprehensive book on diction out there. A must have for all singers of the classical genre!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool!, December 3, 2012
This book is a great learning tool. My voice teacher is using it to teach a small group of us better diction. We are currently only working on Italian but I have already learned so much. Who knew there were so many little rules governing diction?? If you are interested in improving your singing and performing, this book is a must have. It can be a little daunting to get through on your own which is why it is not 5 stars. If you have a teacher that can help you through it you will get much more out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for singers and teachers!, November 2, 2012
N. Klingman (Spokane, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I am offering a Lyric Diction Class for my adult - non professional track students. I took a chance on this text - not having used it before. I am so delighted with the detail and organization of this book. It is very easy to use and understand - and still very detailed. I highly recommend it as an excellent resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, September 12, 2014
EVERY SERIOUS TEACHER AND SINGER SHOULD HAVE THIS AS WELL AS JOHN MORIARTY'S "IPA FOR SINGERS" ANDTHOMAS GRUBB'S SINGING IN FRENCH! GREAT BOOKS

A Handbook of Diction for Singers: Italian, German, French
A Handbook of Diction for Singers: Italian, German, French by David Adams (Paperback - January 28, 2008)
$24.95 $22.46