5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 17, 2008
This review is from: Handbook of Semiotics (Advances in Semiotics) (Paperback)
I had the honor to study under Winfried Nöth in Kassel/Germany and his handbook of semiotics was really helpful for my final oral exam in April 2008. This handbook is an excellent source for research on semiotics. It is comprehensible and covers practically all fields of semiotics, even topics like the semiotics of comics and films are analysed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handbook of Semiotics, Winfried Noth (1990), July 25, 2011
This review is from: Handbook of Semiotics (Advances in Semiotics) (Paperback)
Thorough,comprehensive leviathan on semiotics and its placement within the field of structuralism gets my top marks. Noth leaves no stone unturned, combining historical analysis of its roots in structuralism from its Pierce, Morris, Saussure, Hjelmslev and Jakobson beginnings through Barthes, structuralism, Post and Neo structuralism to present day applications such as in drama, myth, ideology, rhetoric, nonverbal and visual communication(aesthetics, advertizing or comics for example). Very thorough, and useful I found for quick-to-reference definitions of terms, and placing the mass of scholarship within the field and correlating fields depending on its applications. Being a Cultural Studies/Media Studies phD student, what I found most helpful from this text was Noth's ability to span such a vast breadth of areas we study in my discipline, in such a cohesive way. Taking a class one semester on say a Foucauldian strand of structuralism, and a survey class another semester that included several structuralist readings (Althusser, Barthes, Levi-Strauss) amidst a quagmire of other cultural theory, didn't connect the dots for me per se on the wider structuralist debate,its history and evolution of movements, and the many different 'threads' and applications across the disciplines that it produced,including how Barthes's pioneering work in semiology led over time to become a weighty branch of the structuralist tree. My recent enlightenment, thus,leaves me wishing it had been assigned or even recommended during (emphasis on "during") my coursework(I stumbled upon it myself during dissertation research). What my professors were teaching would have made a lot more sense at the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding, clear and thorough book about semiotics., June 2, 2014
This review is from: Handbook of Semiotics (Advances in Semiotics) (Paperback)
Winfried Nöth's Hanbook of Semiotics is an invaluable resource about semiotics. Clearly structured and laid out, well written, thorough and supremely interesting. A commendable achievement. I cannot think of a better resource on the subject for those interested in the field. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 13, 2005
This review is from: Handbook of Semiotics (Advances in Semiotics) (Paperback)
Great Book if you intend to study the basics of semiotics, it also gives you a lot of bibliography to research if you need more, something I really believe will not be the case.

Handbook of Semiotics (Advances in Semiotics)
Handbook of Semiotics (Advances in Semiotics) by Winfried Nöth (Paperback - September 28, 1995)
$55.00 $50.21