Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on March 7, 2014
Reading this book opened old wounds from the past, yet brought me so much happiness as well. I too was a ward of the courts in the 1950's. I too endured physical & emotional pain. Thank you Rosie for having the courage to write this book. While reading it, I felt like you were sitting next to me telling mr your story. Crying one minute, cracking up the next. I sent a copy to my 14 year old Granddaughter, who is also a victim of abuse, hoping she will read it & know there is hope & happiness around the corner. Proud to be Puerto Rican too!
on March 7, 2014
Rosie Perez wrote a masterful, revealing, touching, sad and wildly funny memoir. I loved this book, it is like a Latina Angela's Ashes. Please read this book and pass it on. I highly recommend this book and look forward to reading more from this gifted, charming and brilliant writer.
on March 9, 2014
This book evokes every human emotion (sad, mad, glad, etc). Rosie takes you by the hand, and walks you through a dysfunctional childhood. You feel her pain and you refuse to put down the book until Rosie is safe.
on March 2, 2014
This is a difficult life story told one layer at a time. Rosie Perez shares with us what it was like to be HER as a child and what it took to become the person she IS. Beautifully written.
on March 1, 2014
her life story was so sad. she truly is a survivor. she brings you in from the first chapter and keeps you mesmerized til the last page. how she was able to still have respect and love for her mother and to forgive all of those that hurt her is truly priceless.
Very strong woman -
She must have been terrified all over again to be this honest. Bravo and thank you. The Puerto Rican references are everything. You are an inspiration. blessed.
on March 5, 2014
I've always liked Rosie Perez. Her accent is very endearing. I have never heard or read any bad publicity about her even though I read all types of magazines such as People etc. I was very surprised to read of her difficult childhood. What a well written book. She has expressed her life in a thorough fashion and left me wanting more. God bless her for her candor.
on February 28, 2014
It was a very moving and inspirational book, this a perfect example of judging people without really knowing anything about there lives. She has overcome many obstacles and continues to smile!
on March 17, 2014
I want to thank Rosie Perez for writing this book. I got it yesterday and didn't put it down until I finished it. It was fantastic because it's her true story. And what a story it is. From very humble beginnings of a terribly abusive childhood being passed around to live with relatives, foster homes and a catholic 'home' -- Rosie stayed positive. She buried herself in dancing and acting every chance she got and parlayed it into a huge professional career. Her ability to cope with inhumane childhood conditions led her to not only an Emmy nomination for choreography for her work on Living Color and an Oscar nomination for her role in Fearless.

This is a great read if you have had a terrible childhood of if your's was 'normal'. It's a true American tale of survival and a huge lesson that when life gives you 'lemons' (i.e the nuns of the 1970s at the catholic home mostly) you turn it into lemonade! Rosie has done exactly that.

It's an uplifting story that needs to be a movie and a play!!
on April 22, 2014
This was a great read. It was very engaging. I was very surprised it was well written. I could not put this book down. I always thought it's brave for someone to document their life for everyone to read. I got teary eyed towards the end. And it made me realize the things I need to to deal with in my own life.