5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow up to Bulletproof Web Design
The new release from Dan Cederholm is a great complement to his previous work in Bulletproof Web Design. For those who haven't read Bulletproof Web Design, it's premise was creating flexible websites and keeping a clear separation of your markup (HTML), styles (CSS), and behavior (JavaScript). It took examples of sites that weren't bulletproof, and showed the process to...
Published on December 29, 2009 by Nate Klaiber

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of Date
I'm familiar with most of CSS but was having some cross-browser compatibility issues...wanted to learn more about progressive design. This guy had lots of good reviews so I downloaded his book but unfortunately it's out of date.

He has a nice writing style and he's good at presenting information in a quick digestible way. That being said, his book is...
Published on July 25, 2010 by Emile

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 5, 2010
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
Definitely would recommend this book--especially to those who like Dan's previous books or his SimpleBits blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars indispensable resource, July 22, 2013
No matter what your level of experience, everyone can take something, if not, many things away from this book. And the conversational tone in which it's written makes you feel as if the authors are sitting there with you through this journey into technique and philosophy. These guys are great and I can't recommend this book enough!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get this one, August 18, 2012
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
I've just scanned through this book and it looks excellent.

There is a template to download and some illustrations for the visually inclined which this book is designed for, hooray!
How many books have you picked up with no resources to download!? Annoying - like the latest (3rd edition of Bulletproof Web Design) which feels to me unfinished and hurried.
The second edition was fine - get that one.

Handcrafted feels like there was care and craft involved in its production.

For me this looks like the best thought out CSS book for people wanting to learn the craft. I learn't type in the photo-type era and the craft from internationally recognized creatives. It is encouraging to see craft re-emerging. That's why I've bought to many books on CSS because it taps into my passion. Thankfully I found this Book as most the others left me a little wanting.

I would marry this book with something like a reference book with a really good index like Beginning CSS Web Development, CSS the missing manual (great reference manual) and something like CSS Pocket Reference by Eric A. Meyer (any of his books). For visual thinkers who want to grasp markup visually go get transcending CSS by Andy Clarke.

If you know the foundations and want to get into the meat and potatoes this is for you. It looks fairly up to date even though it's 2009. It wouldn't take a giant leap to add responsive principles to the books examples.

The books that get very romantic and philosophical like 'Responsive web design' are fine if you are established in the field.

Handcrafted has a nice balance between practical examples, color graphics and inspiring quotes which will feed those who love the craft.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, May 21, 2011
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
Excellent read! While I mostly work on our app's backend, I have a lot of respect for the people who make it look pretty. Reading this book gave me a whole new appreciation for the details they have to keep in mind and was a good reminder why I don't really do that sort of work.

The text is well written, has lots of helpful illustrations and often shows alternative ways to achieve the desired result. Of course browser compatibility gets tackled too, and the author recommends a comparatively low maintenance "progressive enrichment" approach. This really was written by a craftsman who takes his trade seriously and that shows!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my class, April 2, 2011
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
I teach a beginning CSS class at the Lifelong Learning Center in Missoula, Montana. My students are mostly small business folk who don't intend to become full time geeks, although about 10% of them do go on. Some of them end up working for me!

With that market in mind, the first chapter of this book is exactly what I needed for an exercise that runs through a series of "what ifs" in a small, manageable piece of a web page. The other exercises I have are for whole page layout and understanding the big picture of CSS. The bigger projects tend to set my student's heads in a spin. This little piece is a great complement. It's also a great way to discuss that being "professional" means paying attention to the details.

This book goes on my "highly recommended" list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
very much enjoyed this book. was not dull and boring like many in its genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars A computer book I didn't want to put down., April 24, 2010
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
An engaging and easy read for aspiring CSS masters. Like Bulletproof, I'm certain this book will continue to be a significant, used, and useful reference on my desk. Full of examples that meet my immediate need, this book covers a complicated subject in a compelling, well illustrated, and good humored way, but it's more than a collection of tips and tricks; Cederholm challenges users to think about the broader issues like best practices and craftsmanship.

5.0 out of 5 stars just read first chapter and love it already, March 25, 2010
Akash Aggarwal (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
I have been playing around with CSS lately and was always confused on few things. I have not yet read the whole book but just reading first chapter cleared some doubts so I am giving author 5 star already since I could not find these tricks anywhere else. all other books focus on syntax but don't really say why this way and not that way? I will update my comments as I continue my journey into CSS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CSS book., March 21, 2010
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
We use this book as an instructional text in my NYU class in CSS. it's a short, but excellent book on CSS capabilities and uses. Easy to read, and lavishly illustrated. It takes a website as an example, and works through all these permutations and design decisions. So it's not a reference book, but rather a "how to" book. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice tricks but..., September 30, 2009
This review is from: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design (Paperback)
Don't get me wrong. The information in this book is great. The author gives you code that works and what doesn't work when creating the look of the webpage you will be creating along in the book. What's even better is that this book is all in color, compared to some other ones that I've seen out there. Do note that this book does come in a different edition where a DVD is also included.

Each chapter has enough images to give you an idea of how the graphics are supposed to look. It seems like books these days like to keep their data files online, which is where this book's files are stored. I guess it'd probably save them money (and you) for not including the data on a cd with the book. No big deal, really.

My only gripe about this book is that you don't begin creating the website "in order". What I mean is that there really isn't a way for you to input the code that's given in the book and then load it in a browser to see how it's supposed to look like, compared to what's in the book.

For instance, in the first chapter, you're creating a chart for come drinks. As I see the images in the book, and copy the code, it, of course, won't look that way because you haven't specified WHERE on the page it's supposed to go. Thus, when you load the code in a browser, you're chart fills the entire screen instead of looking like the image in the book.

I understand that you're creating the assets that will eventually be added into the final web page, but I wish the author could have written the book where he specified where these assets would be added so that the readers could see how it's supposed to look like.

Other than that, I didn't find anything TOO new to CSS that I already know, so if you're already familiar with it, then this book might not be for you. There were a few things that I found that I liked, such as rounded corners, does/don't of using opacity, the "webkit", just to name a few. The whole point of the book is to help you create a website that's flexible to edit and that's compliant.

Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design
Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm (Paperback - August 19, 2009)
$44.99 $32.49