So, I like to carry lots of little knick-knacks and gewgaws around in my bag because, well, that's how I roll and I love optical devices (I also carry a great magnifying glass) so I was in the market for a cool little spyglass. I was considering a number of different ones including this. I finally decided upon this one when the price went down a little further...
Published on February 10, 2011 by Nicholas E. Rowley

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiny toy
This item is very very small, 3x2 box. I am disappointed by the box, which another review said was worth the cost of toy in itself. The wood grain is not pretty like pictured and there were no brass fittings on the corners. The scope seems sturdy but the brass is very dull and the lens is dirty inside. I am sure my 7 yr. old will think it is a fabulous present.
Published on January 28, 2012 by J. Ros

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful little scope as long as you have the right expectations., February 10, 2011
This review is from: 6" Handheld Brass Telescope with Wooden Box - Pirate Navigation (Kitchen)

So what did I get for my money?

Well the scope came two days after I ordered it (much faster than the estimate, I always love it when that happens and, in my experience, that's almost always the case with the marketplace orders) and it's gorgeous. The Box has a great arrangement of brass hardware and decoration and is lined with pretty nautical blue baize. A very nice storage container you'd probably agree.

The scope itself looks lovely, I'm not sure still if the primary section is covered with thin leather or some artificial approximation of thin leather, either way it's not the richest feeling covering but certainly does the job well.

The telescoping movement is smooth and substantial; I didn't have difficulty extending it all the way and neither did I feel concerned that it might collapse on me once fully extended.

The optical strength of the scope isn't the greatest I've ever seen but it's surprisingly good for the size and price; I think (and this is an estimate I'll do some proper testing, come back and edit this bit) around a 7.5 to 10x enhancement, not the most practical level for a telescope obviously but pretty impressive for a novelty item (next time I have a clear night I'll try it out for a little near earth object gazing).

Reading some of the other reviews, you'll see that some people had less than stellar experiences with this item. I think that this isn't surprising. My scope was excellent but it's entirely conceivable that there are, shall we say "erratic heights", in the level of quality from scope to scope. This is probably worth bearing in mind.

It's not the greatest scope I've ever used but, for under twenty bucks, I'd have to be mental to expect that it would be. It is, however, a nice little toy/whimsical conversation piece. I think, for the most part, you're likely to be pleased with the scope you order, as long as you are expecting a cute little toy with some impressive optical enhancement not found on other fun little scopes.

EDIT: Okay, I did test it and then neglected to report back, it's an 8x, so it's not really an optical tool, but, like I say throughout this, that shouldn't be an expectation with this. :)

To the star ratings, a brief explanation:

How much fun is this toy?
5 stars because this really is a very fun little device

How would you rate this toy's educational value?
3 stars because I think this would be a useful gift to jump start a number of interesting educational conversations with the right kid, about how optics work, about naval history and a bunch of other topics really.

How durable is this toy?
5 stars because despite the small size it has a nice and solid construction.

How do you rate this toy overall?
5 stars because it's generally ace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicer than expected, December 10, 2010
The case is very cool. The leather stiching on the telescope looks like something right off Jack Sparrow. It has an authentic feel. I wasn't sure what to expect for the price but I am really gald now that I ordered it. So many toys nowadays do so much for the kids that they don't have to think much to play. This is a great toy for imagination. My daughter uses it to watch the humingbird feeder. It's nice to see a 10 year old sit quietly by a window in amazement. Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for really small pirate ships, November 14, 2010
this is a really nice "toy"... not a real telescope... but heck i aint no real pirate so it works for me.... and it will look great on your desk next to the model of your ship !! the workman ship on the box is easily worth the price... so go get a glass eye an a wooden leg and have some fun (hop hop)... that is what this is for..
cheers and pass the rum !!!
Captn Ichabod

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiny toy, January 28, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful pirate accessory for a 4 year old, August 16, 2011
This has been a pretty magical gift--it is a durable, somewhat functional, spyglass, with a handsome wooden box. At twenty-two bucks, it was a fun addition to the christmas pile. 8 months later, it has held up well, and continues to excite the imagination. Our four year old and his ham-fisted younger brother haven't managed to destroy it--not that it's optics were world class. It's a satisfying, heavy object, great for little hands and big imaginations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for a child, February 9, 2010
K. Nolen (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
We bought this as a Christmas gift for our 7 yr old nephew. He likes all things pirate. You really can't tell how tiny the telescope is from the internet. However, the gift was a huge hit, and the telescope seems very special and antique in the little wooden box. It looked so authentic that we tried to tell our nephew that real pirates once used it, but I don't think he believed us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great spyglass for a great price!, January 2, 2010
My boys loved these spyglasses! They're surprisingly good quality for the price! Not only do they look good, but they open and close flawlessly. The boxes look great, too. (One of the two boxes I bought doesn't close as well as the other, but no one seems to notice or care around here.)
I don't know that I would recommend these for any actual sailing, but for a novelty, this is a great product for a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for a five-year-old Pirate, March 3, 2012
I purchased this telescope as a gift for a five year old's birthday. He loves pirates and this gift was a huge hit. I'm so glad I chose this rather than so many of the other pirate toys on Amazon. It's very nice quality, works perfectly well, and seems pretty durable. The magnification isn't much, but enough to spot pirates on the horizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless, December 30, 2010
I purchased this for my granddaughter for Christmas she is almost 5 years old and she screamed when she opened it. She loves playing with it so much. The reason I rated the educational value a 5 is she just runs with her imagination with it. This piece could be such an item she could pass down to her kids. When she is done playing with it she always puts it away for safe keeping. At first I was concerned about the size of it - but is perfect for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Telescope 6", January 7, 2009
This was my daughter's favorite Christmas gift. She is 6. The telescope is nice and the little wood box it comes in is cute.

ARRAY(0x9fbad2a0)