Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

• Customer Reviews

on December 12, 2008
I use pencils of various sizes when I do sketches in my art book. And I always do the sketches with with this handy pencil sharpener at the ready. I am pretty fixated about always having a sharp edge when I draw or write with a pencil. So naturally, this is the perfect companion to have for someone like me. The bottom case holds a good amount of pencil shavings. This beats any electric sharpeners I have used over the years and it is portable so you can take it anywhere. Plus it is very durable. I have not noticed any dullness in the blades even after using it for about a year.

If you are looking for a pencil sharpener, get this one. It beats most electric sharpeners and it sharpens them more also.
33 comments|301 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2010
This review is for the Staedtler 512-001 A6 "Tub" pencil sharpener.
I use red and yellow colored pencils at work - either Ticonderoga or Col-Erase brand. We have a standard AC powered pencil sharpener from Panasonic but it doesn't work very well with colored pencils. It doesn't leave enough wood surrounding the pencil tips and they break off easily. Colored pencils have leads that are both soft and brittle. I measured the sharpening angle of the Panasonic and it's only 16 degrees. No wonder it never worked very well with colored pencils.

The Staedtler sharpener has two holes: 23 degrees and 30 degrees.
Either one works well with colored pencils. It's a vast improvement over the standard old Panasonic office sharpener. The 30 degree hole is larger than a standard Col-Erase colored pencil diameter, so it's not as easy to use as I would wish, but it's still usable. (Based on that, I would give it 4.5 stars). The 23 degree hole is the standard pencil size diameter and it works well with colored pencils, so it's no real problem.

See the photos I posted and read the captions for more information.
review image review image review image review image review image
66 comments|247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2011
Sturdy, lid snaps on instead of slipping out and spilling, cover snaps down so none leak out that way, sharpens my Prismacolors without breakage, etc. I have tried over 10 different sharpeners and I'm ready to marry and settle down with this one.
on March 10, 2008
Great sharpener. Unlike the cheapo ones you can get from staples, this sharpener really gets the pencils to a razor sharp point. Almost too sharp because then the tip can easily break. That's ok. All staedtler products I have purchased have been excellent.
11 comment|153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2010
Ok, I'll give. There _IS_ a difference between pencil sharpeners.

Over time the kids have had their own. Either from the local dollar store or Walmart (usually in the 3-5 dollar range). All of them were built cheaply and worked, but not very well.

Figured I'd get the "best" one I could find on Amazon and this one stuck out due to all the 5 star reviews. Willing to gamble, I threw it in the cart and ordered. I was not disappointed!

The kids actually treat the sharpeners as something special (only daddy is allowed to use it for them) and love to have their pencils sharpened by it. Pencil sharpeners really don't deserve that sort of reverence, but I will give it to this one - it works REALLY well.

We don't use the other hole. Just the one for standard pencils. However, for what it does, it does it very well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one just to have around and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else in the market.

If it wasn't for this sharpener, I likely would have purchased an over-priced electric one. Really happy that so many left honest feedback, so paying it forward by doing the same. This is a good buy :)
on January 8, 2012
I'm still in High School where sharpening pencils is a constant routine. I'v gone through many pencil sharpeners from stores like Staples and they don't last very long (2-3 Weeks). I'v had this pencil sharpener for almost an entire school year and it hasn't failed on me yet! This sharpener makes the sharpest pencil tip for a handheld and won't shatter and spill shavings everywhere when you drop it (This must've happened hundreds of times in school with other sharpeners)
For the price EVERY student MUST HAVE THIS SHARPENER. It work's well with most pencils but especially Ticonderoga and other high brand pencils (Really Sharp tip).

GET IT!!!
on October 17, 2009
This sharpener is very well constructed and sharpens a nice point,it also has a good feel to it.I think it will last. I bought this to replace several sorry electric and manual pencil sharpeners around the house.There are alot of poorly designed products out there.You would think it ain't rocket science.Most of them do not work well out of the box.
0Comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2011
Quality-made. Works great... ven better than the Panasonic electric sharpener that tends to break the lead. Can also sharpen thicker pencils or crayons. Would highly recommend for travel or second home.
on October 22, 2012
I use wood case pencils in my work every day. Because these specialty pencils that I use cost over $1 a piece, I prefer to use a hand sharpener than an electric one. The case is plastic, but sturdy. The sharpener is an all metal one that works really well. The one negative review probably had a faulty one or one that was assembled wrong.

Not only is this better than the cheap Walmart sharpeners, but it is better than the German made KUM sharpeners that I've used for years.
on March 5, 2011
I have two little children and had the need for a good pencil sharpener. I purchased a counter mount Xacto at my local box store. Big mistake. That one was complete garbage. So based on the reviews here I tried this one. The price was right. Here are the things that I noticed right away: (others did too!) A. Smaller than I expected. One could cover this unit in a large hand completely. The only issue with size is that you have to empty it often. No big. 2. Very sharp blades at first. Quality there. Didn't last though. After six months of use the pencils come out much rougher than when I first bought it. And you have to use more force to twist the pencils. D. The plastic hinged cover broke almost right away. If you have little children who like to grab from each other, kiss that goodbye. Lastly and most importantly, 5. I CANT FOR THE LIFE OF ME GET THE LEAD TO STOP FROM BREAKING WHEN I SHARPEN PENCILS! So frustrating. I have to sharpen a pencils 3 or 4 times to get the tip to stay on. I have tried so many different techniques and many different brands of pencils. As soon as you start to get a nice sharp tip, SNAP, the tip breaks off and you have to start over. Such a waste. Its garbage bound. The price is right if you want to try it. I hope you have better luck than me!
2222 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse