5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have

Published on November 11, 2005 by A. Lindenfeld

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have, September 18, 2005
Michelle (United States) - See all my reviews
This book is definitely a winner. It is one of the few knitting books that I have looked at and said, "I want to knit everything in there!". There are Christmas ornaments, garlands and treeskirt and stocking sets. Also, several styles of table runners and a clever lace tablecloth by Annie Modesitt that uses panels of linen in between lovely lace strips. One item I think I'll be making this year is a delicate lace "frame" to use as a mat for a photograph (within a wooden frame). The garments are wonderful and most (except a little tank) are in a variety of sizes, from small to plus sized. ALL yarns in this book are of the best quality; no craft store yarns here :^) This means some of the projects can be very expensive, but I like to see projects knit with luxurious yarns because I know I can always substitute if I need to. I know shrugs have been done to death lately, but there is a new and interesting shrug idea in here from Norah Gaughn that is lovely. Highly recommended for all your gift knitting, and holiday decorating needs. The book is slanted more toward Christmas and Winter Solstice celebrations, with only one specific Chanukah project (a lovely cable pillow in which the cables form a mennorah). Many great designers, many fabulous yarns.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be ready to trouble shoot, November 11, 2005
I am currently knitting the child's gansey pattern from this book. If I were not an advanced knitter, I would probably throw both my yarn and this book in the trash. There were MANY mistakes in the pattern, not the least of which was a basic math mistake in the number of stitches to cast on. Also, the pattern calls for circular needles, but gives instructions for a sweater knitted on straight needles. (For many new knitters, one would assume circular needles would call for a circular pattern.) All in all, this pattern could have been written in a much more straight forward way. I like the projects in the book very much, but I will hesitate to launch into another one without a lot of patience at hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful surprise, September 27, 2005
Jody Richards (Philly Suburbs, NJ) - See all my reviews
I really wasn't expecting a lot from this book. I thought it would be another Christmas-hype book. I couldn't be more wrong.

The projects are wonderful and the photography is great. The projects are varied and will suit many types of knitters. There are quick and easy projects like the knitted ornaments and garland, as well as more complex projects like a stranded tree skirt and a lace shawl.

There are a variety of lovely yarns used in here, and some in unexpected ways (e.g., a linen-blend yarn for above-the-knee stockings and mountain colors bearfoot for a stranded cape). The projects are inspiring and I've found myself thumbing through the book while sitting on my sofa for three nights in a row.

I'm so happy to add this to my knitting library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't overlook this book--it's more than "holiday" knitting!, April 18, 2006
It's almost a shame this book was organized around the "holiday" knitting theme. I didn't even look at this book for months because I assumed it was limited to Christmas stockings and tree skirts. Of course, there ARE a couple of Christmas stockings and tree skirts, but there is so much more.

There are ambitious projects, such as a beautiful fair isle sweater, and quick projects, such as the thick cabled "Log Cabin Socks". There are great bags, like the lacy "Counterpane", along with sweaters, hats, mittens, and, oh, yeah, holiday decorations. I have knitted a couple of items from this book for gifts (the flip-top mittens are a great gift, for example), but of the 6 items I've finished so far, 4 were for me!

The over-the-knee stockings are next on my to-do list from this great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, but not absolutely easy, November 8, 2005
Juniperwoman (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
I completely agree with all the glowing reviews. Handknit Holidays is gorgeous to look at, and, even more importantly, the patterns are charming and elegant. I want to make up all of them now!

That said, I have to warn my fellow beginning knitters that this is a fairly advanced book. In fact, although I just went to the bookstore to buy this book, I didn't end up bringing it home with me. It's just too hard for me right now.

But there's always next Christmas!

3.0 out of 5 stars Is there an errata sheet?, January 10, 2006
M. Warner (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
I am working Snegurochka's Party Hat on page 123. There seems to be an error in the chart. When I work (or count) row 31, I end up with 37 stitches in each of the three sections. But row 33 requires 36 stitches. Help! Has anyone else had this problem or am I losing it. I admit this is the first time I've knitted from a chart like this. In general, this is a lovely book to look at, but there are only a few designs I might try.

1.0 out of 5 stars very pretty, but very terribly edited, December 13, 2009
momwhoknits (Buffalo, NY United States) - See all my reviews
The pictures in this book are all lovely, and every item is appropriate for my skill level, but the technical editor should be ashamed that this book went to press. I have now attempted 5 or 6 items, and all but one was horribly incorrect at some point. It is December 2009 as I write this, the book was originally published in 2005 (I received it as a gift in 2006), and there is STILL NO ERRATA PAGE for the patterns! You have to hunt around the internet to try and find corrections. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK unless you are extremely experienced and willing to rewrite and recalculate the patterns. I wish I could get my money back for this book. If I had known how awful it would be to work from I would have returned it to amazon immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Wonderful, The Menorah is Not Correct, November 5, 2005
I LOVE this book. I will be knitting many of the projects throughout the coming year. One thing to mention is that the Hanukkah Menorah is not reasonable. I had very much been looking forward to a book that contained a Hanukkah Menorah. The look and idea of the knitted wire with beads has lead me to make votive holders as gifts. But to use it an a Hanukkah Menorah will not work. The Menorah needs to use the larger candle as the Shamus to light all of the other candles. As a votive athat is a good 1/2 below the the line of the votive holder I do not see how this could actually work. That said, I LOVE this book. I will be making the Menorah Pillow doing our holiday trip and the Knitted Table Cloth to use next year. The book is amazing in its variety. So many things to make, so little time. I bought the book sight unseen and do not regreat it. 5 stars is an understatement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nicely done!, January 14, 2006
I love all Melanie Falick's books and especially her photography. I highly recommend buying this book, but I would suggest looking at it first in a store to see if the patterns "speak to you". As far as I know, this book isn't marketed as "for beginners", so beginners beware! There are some simple patterns here however. One other issue I have with Melanie Falick, is that there seems to be lack of a website with an errata page on it, which is disturbing for some knitters. I throughly enjoy looking at the book for inspiration, and am currently making the tree skirt, and am very happy with the pattern so far. A beautiful book for any knitter's collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original knitting ideas., March 14, 2006
This book is not your run of the mill knitting book, it goes way beyond scarves and hats. It has very creative ideas such as knitted Christmas tree ornaments, a pair of knee high socks, ballerina-like slippers and many others. The only drawback is this book is for a somewhat experienced to advanced knitters. But for people like me who are just starting out, it gives you a goal of what you would like to do.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›