Top positive review
55 people found this helpful
on August 22, 2012
I give this book a 5 star rating because even though it doesn't exactly suit my peccadilloes, nothing ever does perfectly. So no book is ever going to be exactly perfect and with that in mind I have to account for popular things when it comes to reviews. So in the spirit of popular layouts, bindings, etc, I write this review.
1. The flowers are stunning and I usually find about 50% of craft book unusable for me, this one is 100% usable and I intend to make every flower in here.
2. The attention to detail and the explanation of how to achieve it is above most books currently in print.
3. The patterns in the back are done is such a way that most can size them how they want.
4. The material lists are very handy and appear to be accurate at first glance. I will know more later as I get into it.
5. The resource list is short and to the point. I'm sure that others as they create, myself included, will find resources more to the individual liking but to start out with it is thorough. Unlike most books that contain 15-20% of their list outdated, this one is 100% viable at the time of this review.
6. Well written instructions and you can tell this author has been teaching this medium for some time. Teachers of a craft write differently than those that just do the craft. It is a large plus when looking for a book to learn an art form from. This teacher is one of the better writers so that is a bonus as well.
7. The layout plans at the start of each flower are going to be invaluable as one goes along and I believe will make a noticeable difference in the flower production process for both time and cost.
1. I am neutral about the iron she recommends and uses. I have a Clover small iron that I am going to try first just because of the safety features offered on it.
1. The book does not stay open due to the binding used. I can see this being a problem as using weight to hold this type open usually results in the binding eventually breaking. Perfect binding or Spiral would have been a way better choice.
2. More than the one or two examples for each flower would have been better or a gallery showing each flower 3-5 times in different situations and/or together on pages if number of pages were the issue. Lack of various examples really does not do the flowers justice.
3. Lack of Fashion usage was disappointing. All but one flower example is for some type of accessory only and the one is shown as being attached to an earring hoop by a wrap method.
4. Instead of dividing both sections by the flower I would have divided it up by Accessories, Hair, Bag Adornments, etc. and again included more that two types for the examples while placing the instruction with the examples due to the examples' simplicity it would have blended well.
I hope this helps people thinking about buying this book.