5.0 out of 5 stars I Hit Myself Repeatedly...
When I remember I had the chance to see these guys play a bar. A bar! They closed for Jason Mraz. My only consolation is that I was 16 and was, obviously, not the driver for the night, so it was somebody else's bad decision to go home. A driver's license is a great thing.

Published on September 21, 2010 by Rudy Palma

1.0 out of 5 stars truly hate this new 'trend'
Published on May 28, 2012 by DEW

5.0 out of 5 stars I Hit Myself Repeatedly..., September 21, 2010
This review is from: Hands All Over (Audio CD)

"Hands all Over" is wall to wall muscular rocky pop with thoughtful lyrics and groovy melodies that go down easier than lemonade on a sticky summer afternoon.

The moody lead single "Misery," with its lyrics and melody in wedded bliss, enters the head and simply will not leave. It is far from the only such track on the CD.

"Give a Little More" sparkles and shimmers with Adam Levine's smooth, soulful crooning (including vocal flourishes that bring Michael Jackson to mind) and frenetic, dance floor-ready energy, while the yearning ballad "Never Gonna Leave This Bed" is likely to burn up both radio playlists and the hearts of (mostly female) listeners.

"I Can't Lie" is immaculately arranged and produced with a pop-savvy fusion of doo-wop and indie rock flavorings, while the title track is an intriguing lesson in contrast - icy in texture and arrangement, with hard guitars and pronounced drums, but stark and vulnerable in its lyrics. "Out of Goodbyes" with Lady Antebellum is a saddening slow-burn.

"Runaway" pulses and seethes under the weight of its nervous energy as Levine sings of the pain of being deserted by his love without an explanation ("But I can't tell you if you run away, runaway"), and the forceful, idiosyncratic, downright infectious "Get Back in My Life" would sound particularly well among the tunes on 2002's "Songs About Jane."

There are so many strong moments here that it is difficult to pinpoint particular highlights. This is not the kind of album to spin before bedtime. One of these catchy melodies is bound to induce insomnia.

The deluxe edition extra tracks are worthwhile. "Last Chance" is a slow-burning rumination on tactile pleasures - it would have made an excellent B-side in the days of CD singles. The slightly overproduced but remarkably impassioned "No Curtain Call" is just as strong.

The acoustic renditions are so breathy, organic and well-wrought (especially "Never Gonna Leave This Bed") that a whole disc of these would have been welcome, and their live recording of Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You" pays the R&B songstress a great compliment with its sincere, soul-searching approach that emphasizes the poetic brilliance of her lyrics.

Against all odds in 2010, Maroon 5 are a perfectly solid group of musicians who can hit the Top 40 and fill major concert halls without selling out. "Hands all Over" was clearly labored over, and it is worth your time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yeah!, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Hands All Over (MP3 Music)
One month. Two favorite bands. Two new, long-awaited albums. One kicks ass, one sadly disappoints. If you'd told me Kings of Leon and Maroon 5, I'd have bet that KOL was the winner. Wrong-o. My wife, myself, and our two daughters agree on little when it comes to music, but all 4 of us can't stop playing Hands All Over. Even the dog perks up when Misery comes on.

Serious stuff? Nah. Polished, fun, danceable? Big time. Best party album since The Ting Tings. It's even stopped certain family members from playing Lady Gaga all day. If for no other reason, I'd give this 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars truly hate this new 'trend', May 28, 2012
Its highly annoying to purchase a CD...only for them to release different versions depending on where or when you buy it. I am tired of the 'bonus' tracks that change to try to force you to buy at Target or I-tunes or even Amazon. Worse I am tired of the 're-issue' to get the popular new song. What's up with that? We order the DELUXE EDITION but don't get the most popular song from the album? Gone are the days when you could just go an buy a CD...now you must evaluate the CD you are going to get from every source. And much of the time getting the actual CD is no necessarily where you are going to get the bonus track so you need to evaluate the MP3 section here as well as on I-tunes. And don't forget to evaluate the pre-orders...cause sometimes pre-orders have bonus tracks, although you might miss out on the extra special song they add to the album as they might add songs later. Ahh and the icing on the cake, is when they add songs and make them album only so if you want them--yep you are going to have to buy the CD again.

Seems rather greedy to me. Not necessarily the artist at fault here--more likely the record company. But the brunt of the anger lands at the artist's door so maybe you should do something about that...its just not a good way of thanking the people that are out there supporting you.

Guess I should be happy that I could pick up 'Moves Like Jagger' as a single...but I am not happy at all. And for Amazon to still be selling it? Calling it the Deluxe Edition--that's supposed to be better right? Yet if you go buy the regular album you actually get MORE than if you buy this.

You can bet I won't fall for another Maroon 5 'deluxe edition', like the one that is being touted as a pre-order now...

3.0 out of 5 stars Crisp and clean and alot of generic, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Hands All Over (Audio CD)
Mutt Lange has a knack for making it all sound effortless. He knows the formula and can turn out tunes with that "fresh from the farm" feel. This is a good and bad thing. For years he spent glossing up the hits for Shania Twain but you don't have to look far into the Twain cataloge to see that the content is about as deep as a puddle.
"Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" "Don't Be Stupid, You Know I Love You!"
Not exactly profound word play. But the man is a radio friendly hit-machine with those not searching too deep for quality.
But, I digress. Lange didn't write the songs on Hands All Over but he might as well have. With the exception of a few tunes, everything has been done before and done better. HAO is really all over the place. The lack of any cohesion isn't the problem, though nothing fits together. The downside for me was the overwhelming corniness.

"Misery" has a catchy hook, perfectly crafted for radio but something screams "This Love 2010". I like it for what it is - radio friendly.

"Get Back In My Life" is Squeeze-revisited. Squeeze circa 1985. Bouncy, lively and only missing the cheeky delivery of Glenn Tilford.

"Out Of Goodbyes", featuring Lady Antebellum, starts out like a weeper and ends in a wimper. What should be a harmonious blending of vocals turns monotone fast.

"Hands All Over" tries really hard to be an anthem. The lyrics are really cheesy and, diehards might not agree, it lacks any sex appeal M5 fans come to expect. With a title like that, I sort of expected the signature "obscure dirty".
This isn't a hand on a thigh. It's a pat on the head.

"Last Chance"...seriously? The lyrics are just oh-so-bad.
"I bet that he could give your everything/Stability and diamonds rings/All the things I do not have/I know you can't handle that."

"I Can't Lie" is growing on me but it sounds dated. I've heard this before, much like "Get Back In My Life". Only this time, it's more Motown then Brit pop. I could hear Smokey Robinson singing this. In 1965.

"Never Gonna Leave This Bed" could've been recorded by Journey. Of course, it would've been a little faster and far more passionate.

"Stutter" sounds like a novelty tune in the same vein as "Stacy's Mom" by Bowling For Soup. I expect a video of all the boys, leaning on a wall, snapping their finger in unison while wearing Ray Bans and leg warmers.

"Give A Little More" is perhaps the best song on the album. Adam Levine's voice is flawless. This is HAO's "Makes Me Wonder". A little funky, a little sexy and alot catchy.

"No Curtain Call" (available on the deluxe edition) is my second favorite song on the album. No sure why this wasn't part of the original 12 tunes selected because it should be. It's far more captivating than alot of the songs that made the original cut.

The acoustic verison of "Misery" (available on the deluxe edition) is a huge letdown. This is where Lange's production comes in. Acoustic usually feels a little more free-form, a little edgier. This acoustic tale doesn't feel acoustic at all; like it's not instruments but a generic digital recording. A music bed you would hear in a commercial for Pringles.

Lastly, the cover of Alicia Keys "If I Ain't Got You" is lovely and safe. Levine's voice is in fine form. It's a straight forward cover. No special M5 infused flavor. I'm not a Keys fan, so I have to say M5's cover is far superior to her yelling/singing.

All and all...a bit of a letdown. There are a few sparkling gems but missing is that signature M5 smirk. Like your privy to the inside joke. With "Songs About Jane" and "It Won't Be Soon Before Long", I felt like we got into the mind of the band and for 45-50 minutes, hung out. HAO is all formula with little payoff.

3 stars for Adam Levine's voice and the few tunes that deliver the happy ending.

2.0 out of 5 stars Marooned for now!!!, October 22, 2010
This review is from: Hands All Over (Audio CD)
Very disappointing album. First album was great - lots of powerful stuff. 2nd album good, but this one, Hands All Over, is pitiful. Can I return it for a full refund??? Album cover is great, album content is just too much light weight pop schmalz for my liking!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost the edginess, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Hands All Over (Audio CD)
I really love Maroon 5 and could not wait for the next album (yes album). I was so disappointed. The really edgie songs are nowhere to be found. The "thing" that set them apart from all the other popular groups now was that really edgie style of music and Adam Levine's vocals. I have listened to it enough now that I like the songs, some more than others, but they don't GRAB me like the earlier music. I firmly believe that this is a common issue for bands that, after years of writing, have a huge library to choose from for the first couple of albums. Then, they are under pressure to produce. It is hard to write really GREAT music every time. We are seeing the result of the best stuff already being tapped. It'll do, but I'd rather listen to Songs about Jane or It Won't Be Soon Before Long. Cannot get enough of them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as original as their first two offerings, but stil a good CD, December 15, 2010
This review is from: Hands All Over (Audio CD)
There aren't very many modern bands that I really like--especially not enough to purchase all of their CDs--but I must admit, I am somewhat addicted to the unique voice of Adam Levine, lead singer of Maroon 5. When I heard the first release from this new album, "Misery," I thought it was kind of catchy, but I had no plans to buy the CD. However, the song grew on me, and it wasn't long before I found myself placing an Amazon order.

HANDS ALL OVER definitely IS a catchy CD. "Misery" opens the album, but the three tracks which follow, "Give a Little More," "Stutter," and "Don't Know Nothing," all have a very similar, pop-like feel. This is fine; they are decent enough tunes. But they lack lack the soulfulness of ballad like "She Will Be Loved" or the edginess of "Harder to Breathe" (both tracks from the band's first album, Songs About Jane. Even their second album, It Won't Be Soon Before Long, retained a bit more of a rough sound (e.g., "Wake Up Call") interspersed with ballads such as "Goodnight Goodnight" and "Better That We Break."

And that's the main problem I have with HANDS ALL OVER--the lack of variety. Every song seems like another pure pop tune; the one track coming closest to a ballad is probably "Just a Feeling," which is still fairly up-tempo. Similarly, there are no singles that really stand out from the crowd, either, although the title track, "Hands All Over," does have a bit of a funkier sound. Also, the duet with Lady Antebellum, "Out of Goodbyes," is well-done, but nothing remarkable. Same goes for the bonus acoustic tracks--certainly nice enough, but they don't really make a huge impact. I do kind of like the final (non-bonus) track, "Curtain Call"; there's nothing really special about this song either, but it does highlight Levine's vocals, which is probably why I enjoy it.

In the end, I am happy with this album purchase, although I don't see any of the songs here becoming my new favorites. Recommended if you are already a fan of Maroon 5; if not, go out and get yourself Songs About Jane first.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Maroon 5 Album!, September 26, 2010
This review is from: Hands All Over (Audio CD)
I've liked Maroon 5 ever since their first album. "This Love" and "She Will Be Loved" left me breathless in more ways than one. After hearing their first single "Misery" from Hands All Over, I decided to purchase their latest album. It has quickly become my favorite Maroon 5 album to date.

The CD begins with the sassy "Misery," and the hits don't stop until the final song. The acoustic version is pretty good, too. Most of the album is full of funk, rock and pop. But in the end, genre hardly matters in my view because good music is just what it is: good music. My favorite track is "I Can't Lie." It's beautiful beyond words, carried out by Adam Levine's unique crooning. The bonus track "Last Chance" is pretty memorable as well. It's full of attitude; in fact, the entire album is full of that.

I recommend Hands All Over to Maroon 5 fans and newcomers alike. I can keep going on about how great it is, but I think one actually listening to it will truly do the group justice. Check it out!

4.0 out of 5 stars EVEN THE ARTWORK IS 1980-- POP, CATCHY, REALLY GOOD, September 25, 2010
This review is from: Hands All Over (Audio CD)
JUST LOOKING AT THE ARTWORK BEFORE THE CD WAS RELEASED I THOUGHT WHAT A COVER LIKE 1980'S BANDS (example ratt
"out of the cellar" this is pop, commercial because of the production. i still think it very good music.
the band sounds great, very good harmony, i gave it 4 stars because some of the songs sound so shania twain.
but we know that is because of the producer. then i hear a little def leppard in the song "hands all over",
i like the music and the energy

4.0 out of 5 stars A Return to Form... 4/5 Stars, September 22, 2010
This review is from: Hands All Over (Audio CD)
I've been to thirty-six concerts to see this band and waiting for the release of Hands All Over, I had extremely high hopes after being disappointed with their follow up to "Songs About Jane," "It Won't Be Soon Before Long." I remember concert #1 and falling in love with the sound of this band that was lost in their sophomore effort. Yet as I began to listen to their third album via streaming last week, and every day since, I've discovered, that with the help of producer Mutt Lange (AC/DC, Shania Twain), Maroon 5 has recovered much of the style I fell head over heels for in the first place.

Misery (5/5): The song, despite its melancholy message, was tailor made for summer radio. In fact, there's no better way to listen to the song than rolling the windows down in your car and turning up the volume. Maroon 5 was searching for a funkier sound with their last album, It Won't Be Soon Before Long, and that was evident in Makes Me Wonder. However, it appears with Misery, they found the way to do so that highlighted all of their strengths in a way that MMW didn't. With a hook that will stick in your head, it was perfect for their debut single.

Give a Little More (5/5): Already established as their second single, Give a Little More picks up melodically where Misery left off, an improvement on their last album. Less sugary than Misery, and with a far more sexy sound, the track features a really strong pre-chorus and a danceable beat.

Stutter (4.5/5): Despite the fact that I rated the song the way I did, this is actually my favorite song on the album. It definitely has a more power pop feel than the other songs on the album and I liked the bridge immensely. However, the harmonies actually make this song feel weaker, as does the doubling/tripling of Adam's voice. The result is a sound that feels more like the Jonas Brothers than a charged up rock song. However, what makes the song weak on the album, which I chalk up to overproduction of the track, is absent in the live performances of the song. Perhaps this disappointed me because I know how intense of a stage-stomping track this is live and I was let down by the album version. Still, I liked the song... a lot, which proves just how much potential this track has.

Don't Know Nothing (3/5): This song disappointed me greatly. With the three prior tracks as strong as they are, Don't Know Nothing was a let down. With its Motown feel, it didn't flow with the tone of the album that had been set thus far and just seems out of place once you listen to the rest of it. It sounds like it should be an unreleased track: one that wasn't good enough to make an album, but decent enough to make it popular amongst diehards.

Never Gonna Leave This Bed (3.5/5 for the original, 4.5/5 for the acoustic): It took a few listens before this song really caught on with me. The opening piano/keyboard progression annoyed me slightly. I think it reminded me too much of those mini, high-pitched keyboards that you give to small children. The lyrics were also a little weak to me, but weak lyrics can be saved by a good melody. And they are... just in the acoustic version, which thankfully dropped the toy-like sound and replaced it with intermittent piano and a great percussion beat. It's the stripped down nature of the song that makes it so endearing and much truer to Maroon 5's style.

I Can't Lie (3.5/5): When I heard this song for the first time, it struck me as a cross between Lauryn Hill's "Doo Wop (That Thing)" and Billy Joel's "River of Dreams." Considering the band's love of both, it doesn't surprise me. It's not that the song is bad, because it's very reminiscent of the middle tracks of their first album, "Songs About Jane." But that's all this song really is... a middle track. It's pleasant and airy. It's good, but it's not great. Still, enjoyable nonetheless.

Hands All Over (3/5): It's in this song that I can really hear Mutt Lange's touch as a producer. It has eighties rock written all over it... no pun intended. Lyrically, the song is kind of weak and the track reminds me way too much of "Pour Some Sugar On Me." Its attempt at a sexy sound is kind of lost on me.

How (4/5): "How" REALLY surprised me. It brought me back to "Songs About Jane" in a great way and even though the lyric "I'm asking for your help/I am going through hell" is not the most profound, something about it worked. Is the bridge predictable? Maybe, but why mess with something that's not broken?

Get Back in My Life (3.5/5): The opening oohs will probably become an annoyance to me when I reach play number 100 on the album, but it's not a bad song. Its overall sound reminds me very much of It Won't Be Soon Before Long, as in it's ALMOST there, but not quite. It's funky, but it doesn't have the poppy appeal of Misery or sexy sound of Give a Little More. At the very least, the melody will be something you can hum.

Just a Feeling (5/5): To me, this song was the biggest surprise of the entire album in the best way possible. It fits right in with "She Will Be Loved" and "Sunday Morning" for me and in all honesty, could fit right into the soundtrack of the latest romantic comedy playing in theaters. There's something so easy about the song, but so romantic and touching at the same time. I think that out of all the songs on the album, this has the greatest potential to be the mainstream ballad. It's like a great prom song without the cheesiness. I just LOVE it.

Runaway (4.5/5): When I heard that Sam Farrar of Phantom Planet fame had leant his writing talents to this song, I had high hopes for the track. And they were met 100%. Another song that could fit into a movie, the chorus contrasts the verse in all of the best ways and blends the funky guitar into a piano-driven melody JUST right. It's almost the bridge between the Maroon 5 of 2001 and the Maroon 5 of 2010. The key change in the final chorus is beautifully done, as is the addition of the falsetto.

Out Of Goodbyes (2/5): This song ends the non-deluxe version of the album and it really confuses me. Just a Feeling and Runaway establish a great feel as Hands All Over draws to a close and Out of Goodbyes throws the formula out the window. There's a reason I enjoy Maroon 5's music, but this makes me forget all about it. It seems to ramble and I had a hard time distinguishing the verses from the choruses from the pre-chorus. The only part of the song I enjoyed was the end riff. For a band that ended Songs About Jane with "Sweetest Goodbye," this was a let down.

**DELUXE VERSION**

The B-sides of It Won't Be Soon Before Long (Infatuation, Losing My Mind) were FAR better than the B-sides of Hand All Over. But Last Chance (3.5/5) isn't bad and will find a place in the heart of diehard Maroon 5 fans like myself, even if slightly overproduced. No Curtain Call (3.5/5) has much stronger verses than the aforementioned B-side, but its chorus is weaker, so it balances out.

The acoustic version of Never Gonna Leave This Bed is worth the price of the deluxe disc alone (see the joint review with the original album track above).

I have to give the acoustic version of Misery a 5/5. I wasn't sure how Maroon 5 would attack this song, especially for unplugged sets that constantly air on TV and the web. Instead of just taking out the keyboard and changing to acoustic guitars, as many artists do, they REWORKED THE ENTIRE SONG and gave me a new perspective on the lyrics in doing so. It now has a sultry simmer that the original didn't have. It's not better or worse than it's sister track, I'd in fact say it's equal. However the fact that they can do so much with an acoustic version and change the entire feel of Misery is not just impressive, but attests to just how good Maroon 5 really is.

Rounding out the album is the cover of Alicia Keys's "If I Ain't Got You," which I had previously heard live. When Adam informed the crowd that they'd be covering this song, I was very worried. But it turned out to be a great tribute to Alicia and an example of just how versatile Adam has become as a singer, especially when he drives through the chorus. I'd give it a 5/5 hands down.

Overall, the album is definitely an improvement over "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" and the band seems to be embracing their "Songs About Jane" roots better than they had before. However, SAJ created shoes that were hard to fill. While it didn't quite live up to Jane's standards, "Hands All Over" is a solid album with some clear radio darlings and a refreshing sound. Averaging all of the standard tracks' scores, I arrived at a 4/5.

Must Downloads: Misery, Give A Little More, Stutter, Just a Feeling, Runaway

Skips: Don't Know Nothing, Hands All Over, Out of Goodbyes

Hands All Over
Hands All Over by Maroon 5 (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies