Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on March 20, 2006
I am using this book as a reference while homeschooling my middle-school son. It is far and away the best book of science experiments and demonstrations at this level that I have encountered. Every possible chemistry topic at the middle and high school level is covered with multiple examples, all well -indexed and clearly explained. Many can be done with simple materials around the house although some require more sophisticated glassware and a few involve chemicals and/or procedures that would require an institutional setting (for example, needing a fume hood). The latter are well indicated. Best of all, the activities are FUN--we did the Cartesian Diver today and it was a blast!

My only very minor gripe is that a few activities are repeated several times in slightly different formats. More thorough editing and/or cross-referencing would be helpful.

I would recommend the book for homeschoolers such as myself who want to give their students real lab experiences, and also probably for "regular" teachers in middle or high schools.
0Comment64 of 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2004
This book has tons of labs and demonstrations. Many of the labs and demonstrations can be found in other chemistry texts and on-line, this book brings them all together with good explainations and illustrations. Herr and Cunningham have included additional information for the teacher and there are thoughtful extension questions provided for the students. This is a good resource book. I allow my students to try the labs after school and when they come in on their free periods. My only gripe is that it sometimes takes careful reading to follow the procedures as they are written in paragraph form.
11 comment56 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2009
I'm a practicing chemistry teacher and found this book a top-notch resource. I also have had the pleasure of taking classes from the author. Explanations are thorough and concise. Experiments are easily reproducible with explorative questions. It is also a good springboard to come up with your own labs. More than anything its the style with which the material is presented that drives the concepts.
on September 1, 2010
My wife is a chemistry teacher and was in need of some new resources for activities. This book is the stuff, soon as she began flipping through it she said it was worth every penny and then some. Great resource.
on December 26, 2008
I'm homeschooling my high school child and find this to be a great lab resource for our Chemistry.
on August 10, 2013
This book is absolutely packed with ideas, applications, easy demos, and labs. Each concept is introduced or enriched with everyday applications to show students chemistry in action in the world around them. I can't wait for the school year to start so I can inject new life into my class discussions and labs. Just what I needed. Thanks to the authors!
on February 1, 2013
This book provides over 300 investigations, demonstrations, labs and activities that use everyday examples to make chemistry interesting and easy to understand. It is applicable to grades 8-12 and provides basic chemistry instruction for the student.
on September 7, 2008
Very interesting and useful book for chemsitry teachers at high school and even at college. I recommend to put in practice all the strategies proposed by the authors. It really works !
on November 4, 2015
Absolutely awful. In no way would this be appropriate for students below college level. Unusable in a high school setting. The activities are good, however, everything needs to be rewritten. If you want all that work, the activities would be good. There's dozens of more teacher and student friendly resources.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
I used this book while teaching chemistry in a Houston public high school 2000-2004. I only used about 1/4 of the Activities, but that was enough to make it a very valuable resource. I highly recommend it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse