5.0 out of 5 stars It has 180 pages and lots of border sheets. It's a fat book!
Published on November 30, 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good
Published on December 12, 2007 by Mom in Michigan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, December 12, 2007
This review is from: Handwriting Transition Student Worktext (Reason for Handwriting) (Paperback)
We have used "A Reason For Handwriting" for three years and have been very pleased with it. We are currently using the Book K & Book C and love them! However, the Transition book was not what I expected. I thought that this book would provide a smooth transition from Manuscript handwriting to cursive handwriting. However the book has two sections: Manuscript (first half) and then cursive (second half). There is no transition section. The cursive section is exactly the same as the first part of Book C. We are having great success having moved directly from Book B to Book C. The Transition book is not only unhelpful, but not necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars It has 180 pages and lots of border sheets. It's a fat book!, November 30, 2005
A Kid's Review
First it has ten lessons of praticing letters and sentences. Then it has twenty-seven lessons which take four days. Then it practice's cursive. How you write the letters. Then it has twenty-seven lessons in cursive. I like it because it has you practice letters firsts. Then they have you write parts of scriputure with it. You could easly make it last two years. I'm learning quite a bit of cuarsive. The border sheets are have nice diseghnes and I realy like them. It's as fun as a handwriting book can get.

I'm 7 years old

5.0 out of 5 stars The only penmanship curriculum we've used, January 24, 2008
We have been homeschooling our children for 9 years. We've never used any other penmanship curriculum. The whole series is fantastic. My 4 school aged children use the K book for 4 year old preschool, started the A book in Kindergarten, B is 1st grade, transition for 2nd grade because they aren't quite ready for cursive, and skip the C book but start D in 3rd grade. They finish the series by 5th grade. We do have one child that we discovered had a vision problem that really affected his handwriting and ability to color, so until that was fixed, no penmanship curriculum would have helped him.

This is also a great ministry tool for children. At the end of the week, they have something tangible to give to shut ins, elderly, discouraged people, or to share with grandparents who live far away.

I recommend the Transition book for kids who might not be ready for cursive until later in the year. If you use Transition, you don't need the C book...I think they recommend you choose one book or the other, but not both.

My only complaint is that for Day 4 exercises, it's hard to find appropriate sized lined paper for the kids to practice for their Bible verse/Day 5 assignment. I wish the publisher provided lined paper for extra practice when necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous way to learn handwriting!, July 17, 2011
This was my first time purchasing a Reason For Handwriting book, and I really love it! My daughter, who is in grade 3, really wanted to learn cursive, but I felt her printing needed a little work first. The first half of this book practices printing and the second half cursive, so it's perfect. She was always frustrated or bored with printing practice in the past (so was I). This book engages her interest and is also highly motivating. Each week has four lessons where she practices a few letters and words, building up to the last day where she gets to copy out an entire Scripture onto a fancy border sheet from the back. She also enjoys coloring the pictures on the sheet and proudly displaying her work. Another key aspect of the Reason For Handwriting series is how they use a little house to show children where the letters should go (a, c and e "sit on the main floor"; b, d and f "go upstairs"; and "g, j and p" go downstairs). I've tried and tried to teach all my children proper letter formation, but the minute they saw this visual cue, they all got it. As for my grade 3 daughter, her printing has drastically improved in only a few lessons, and she is learning Scripture as well! I will continue with this entire series for all of my homeschooled children. You can see inside this book and read a detailed product description on the christianbook website.

5.0 out of 5 stars You could get by with just the Transition book., June 26, 2010
I've used this with my 3 daughters. We don't make penmanship a top priority in their education, but I want them to have a good foundation. I use this book because we like it and it's the only one we've needed. After they finished the manuscript section, I set it aside and let them write any Bible verses they wanted in neat printing (maybe once every few weeks). When they were ready for cursive, I dug their books out again. After they finished the cursive lessons, I just saved the sample pages for reference, and again, let them write the verses of their choice. They've had fun with it, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 years at least, September 3, 2008
We love A Reason for Handwriting's Method, and this text is even better because it is almost twice as big for the price. You get close to a whole year of manuscript and a whole year of cursive for the same price you pay for one.

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked for us., June 6, 2012
My son was not the best at printing. The first section of the book focuses on printing before it gets into cursive. This worked well for us. By the end of the book he was writing cursive quite well. I like that it takes the cursive slow and brings them into longer text by the end. Like I said, it worked for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite handwriting program!, September 2, 2011
A Reason For Handwriting has been of my favorite handwriting programs for homeschool! It is fun and easy to use. A lesson a day helps my son keep up on his handwriting work each day. You don't need the teacher's guides if you don't want to purchase them. The transition book has been going well for us as my third grade son is working his way into cursive handwriting. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for cursive writing., August 26, 2013
This is my second go round with this book. It works well with both girls and boys transitioning into cursive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books that teach your child the Bible as they ..., August 13, 2014
Wonderful books that teach your child the Bible as they learn to write legibly. Used these for all 5 of our children

Handwriting Transition Student Worktext (Reason for Handwriting)
Handwriting Transition Student Worktext (Reason for Handwriting) by Carol Ann Retzer (Paperback - June 2001)
Used & New from: $10.00