Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: White|Change
Price:$7.96+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on July 15, 2011
I ordered this for steaming vegetables etc. for typical usage.

I am quite disappointed with this product. The quality of plastic is very cheap and extremely flimsy. The overall look is also poor.

I've used it only three times and have noticed that the base, which holds the water, is actually now misshaped. Therefore, the steamer trays don't fit in there. So, I have to spend several minutes to set the steamer up, with many spills etc. since nothing fits with the base!!!

To me, this is the quality and performance you see in products you buy from a Dollar store. So, this thing is bad and quite a waste of money. Any minute, I expect this steamer to break or even melt in the microwave! So, I have several questions about the steamer now. Why did it get misshaped? Does it mean that it can't stand these high temperatures?

You'd probably be better off buying a good baby bottle steam sterilizer and using that for steaming vegetables etc.!! It's exactly the same product and function, just uses the steam differently! And most are certified BPA free.
on January 24, 2008
I found that the Jobar steamer does a great job in steaming vegetables. I used it right away and made some great broccoli and carrots, vegetables were steamed and crisp and full of flavor.

I find that the size is good for large and small microwaves. Likewise, I loved that you can unstack it to a smaller size for storage.
on September 18, 2013
As written previously, the plastic is so thin that the pieces do not fit together securely. After 2 use's, I threw it away,it wasn't even worth the time to get a refund. If you buy this piece a garbage, remember you were warned. If I could rate it a negative star, I would.
on June 8, 2009
I PURCHASED THIS STEAMER FROM A LOCAL DISCOUNT STORE AND WAS SO HAPPY I BUMPED INTO IT! IT STEAMS PERFECTLY! I HAVE STEAMED CRAB LEGS, VEGETABLES, AND SHRIMP! GET IT, YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!
on February 2, 2012
I recently attended a cooking party where a microwave steamer was used to steam fresh asparagus, and then again to cook ground beef. This isn't the same steamer she used, but it seemed like such a good idea I decided to get one.

I've only used this once, but I'm really happy I bought it. I like the idea that you can steam more than one thing at a time, in it. My first use was to steam frozen brussel sprouts, using only one tray, and they came out perfectly.

At the cooking party, we were limited to using a microwave, and I was impressed that the demonstrator cooked ground beef with a little McKay's beef broth and seasoning powder sprinkled on to "brown" it. She didn't use water in the bottom, but all the drippings from the meat drained through and left a lean meat to use in making a microwave lasagna.

I like that a little instruction sheet was included with recommendations on steaming times for vegetables and fish, and how to use the steam vent on the lid. It doesn't mention using it with beef/meat products, so I don't know if the trays would stain, using it that way, but if so, there is a second tray to use only for vegetables.

As this is a round product, it works nicely in my microwave, and it washed nicely in the top rack of my dishwasher. I'm looking forward to using it again. Glad I bought it!
on July 28, 2009
The instructions said I wculd wash the steamer in the dishwasher. I put the steamer in the cup rack at the top of the dishwasher, away from the heating coils. Sadly, the base melted. Its shape no longer matches the upper baskets. So, it goes back to Amazon for a refund.
on September 12, 2009
After reading the positive reviews I bought this. I've only used it twice but several negatives are now apparent compared to simply using a pan with 1/2 inch of water on the bottom:

- a lot more work to wash & dry (4 large parts) vs. 1 small pan & lid

- you can't taste test the food during cooking like with a pan. With the steamer you have to remove it from the microwave to taste (more work than it sounds like), and then the steam/boiling has died down by the time you restart it.

- included list of cooking times is far from complete so there would clearly be lots of trial & error involved. For example the first time I used it I cooked cauliflower on one level & carrots on another. The carrots of course cooked much faster, but since there's no easy way to reach in & taste you won't check this steamer more than maybe once. With two levels full it's even more trouble to taste test and you loose even more steam/heat so it will take even longer to restart again.

The only positives to me are:
-no water to drain off of cooked food
-ability to cook two different veggies at once (but different cooking times do present a major problem.
on February 11, 2009
When I first received this item I was very diappointed, in the item not the merchant. But this merchant is so professional that they responded to my review, checked to verify the problem I had, apologized and resent the item fully assembled which was the problem, without any request from me. The second item arrived and it is as good as they said it would be. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with his company in the future.
on January 7, 2011
I'll give it a star for the unbeatable price and a star for including recommended steam times for popular vegetables and fish.
However, i was very disappointed to find that while trying to assemble it, brand new and right out of the box, THE PIECES DON'T FIT TOGETHER! I imagine I can balance the tiers on top of one another and still use it... however, the steam will be able to escape and I'll probably have to cook items for longer than the recommended times.

Overall I was very disappointed that none of the pieces fit together correctly. If I could do it again I would have definitely spent a little more money for a properly put together steamer.
on January 23, 2015
Several years ago I bought a microwave steamer to cook chicken for my dog as it was so difficult to clean my metal stove-top steamer. I had to scrub and soak and scrub some more. I got the microwave steamer at Bed Bath and Beyond and absolutely LOVED it. Then I bought a new microwave and the oblong steamer didn't fit well. The new microwave had a turn table (the old one did not) and the steamer kept hitting the sides of the oven and getting stuck. I now needed a new steamer and found this Handy Gourmet 2 Tier Microwave Steamer on amazon.com. And what a find it is. LOVE it as well and even more.

With the two tiers I can now cook Ori's dinner and mine at the same time. It rinses clean instantly and takes up a lot less space in my "pot" cabinet. It is so attractive that I often just let it set out on the counter top. I'm so glad I did not listen to some amazon reviewers who said it was cheap plastic and got warped and twisted. I have used it every single day for the past monthand it still looks brand new. It was pricey at $23 - but I got it on sale for $8 with free shipping. Yet another reason to love love love this item. It fits perfectly in the microwave and does a great job in steaming chicken, fish, vegetables. I also use the lid to cover other dishes that I am putting in the microwave - like when I reheat something. Now I am not wasting waxed paper, paper towels or the forbidden plastic wrap.