4.0 out of 5 stars A Father Comes Clean
Published on November 8, 2007 by K. Fontenot

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough Hannah
I thought that this was a good DVD. The episodes on it were chosen well, and Miley Cyrus did a good job. But, there was not enough episodes. There was only four on the whole disc, which I don't think made it worth it. The episodes were good, but there was not enough for them to call it a whole volume.
Published on December 28, 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars A Father Comes Clean, November 8, 2007
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
I have been on this earth for thirty-one years and I'm proud to say that I like "Hannah Montana." My daughter is totally captivated by this series and by young Miley Cyrus, who heads up the cast of the show. We already own "Pop Star Profile" and my daughter (and me) watch the series on the Disney Channel together. The show is funny, light, girlishly silly at times and one of the safest shows for youngsters and pre-teens around. Don't let the "safest" comment scare you. This show is full of smart laughs for kids and in-jokes for their parents who know where Miley's dad, Billy Ray Cyrus, came from.

This particular DVD contains four episodes of the series. They are "Money For Nothing, Guilt For Free," "Lilly, Do You Want To Know A Secret," "Miley Get Your Gum," and "I Can't Make You Love Hannah If You Don't." These particular shows revolve around Miley going to great lengths to keep (and in a couple of cases, revealing) her secret life as pop star, Hannah Montana. Fans of "High School Musical" will recognize Corbin Bleu as a reluctant fan of Montana in one episode.

I have to agree with another reviewer that this show's characters have great chemistry on the tube. Cyrus, Emily Osment (Lilly), and Mitchel Musso (Oliver) are believable as best friends. Jason Earles is terribly terrific as Miley's goofy brother, Jackson. The elder Cyrus does his part as well playing a father who thinks he's a lot cooler than he actually is and tries to deal with his daughter growing up.

The extras on the disc are okay. There's a music video for "Best Of Both Worlds," Miley talking about gaining the role of Hannah and following her dreams, and her audition tapes.

Overall, this entire series is perfect for youngsters to watch. Hannah can be silly at times and she even makes some bad choices, but in the end, she suffers the consequences and deals with her problems like a fairly normal pre-teen. She and all of the other kids in the show seem pretty grounded, don't expect everything handed to them, don't dress or act like sluts, and are all-around decent kids. That's rare on TV these days, even in most "family" shows.

In a world where hotel heiresses who proclaim, "That's hot," are applauded for their social status, it's nice to see that a few young ladies still know how to act like real young ladies.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, July 9, 2007
L. Harris "skytag" (Winter Haven, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
Lots of people have reviewed the show, which is cute, so I'm going to comment on the "packaging." This disk contains the first four episodes of a TV show season that consists of 25 episodes. At this rate the entire season will cost $13.49 * 6 = $80.94, which is outrageously expensive in my opinion for one season of a half-hour show. Seems especially greedy on the part of Disney since this disk could easily hold one more episode and still have under two hours of material. Boo Disney. One-hour shows with much bigger budgets sell for half that price or less for a season on DVD. I'm going to skip this for now and hope Disney releases the entire season as a boxed set for a reasonable price at some point in the future.

Of course, maybe Disney doesn't plan to release any further episodes on DVD, in which case a better yardstick would be $13.49 for 91 minutes of video, which is a fair price, but not releasing more episodes of this show would indeed be a shame.

For what it's worth, iTunes sells the individual episodes for $1.99 each. The quality isn't DVD quality, but you can buy any of the 25 episodes in season one and for $0.44 more than the cost of this disk you can have seven episodes instead of four. What's wrong with that picture?

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly addictive, August 29, 2006
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
You wouldn't think it, but if you watch more than two episodes of this show you will get hooked. It's a little cheesy, and the plots are, of course, very predictable, but still there's something about that draws you in and hooks you. Miley Cyrus plays Miley Stewart an average 14-year old girl with a huge secret. She's international pop sensation Hannah Montana. With the aid of her friends Lily and Oliver and her family (With dad played by actual father, singer Billy Ray Cyrus,) she lives two lives trying to keep her secret from the world. This show is witty, cute, and has a lot of heart. The father-daughter tender moment scenes are endearing and feal more real than most (gee I wonder why?) I give this show five-stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hannah Montana, March 20, 2007
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
Hannah Montana is a great family show. We love the music and all the funny things that happen. It's not just for girls! I have 2 boys and we really enjoy it as a whole family! It's great to see Billy Ray Cyrus back and his daughter is super talented! Disney's done it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!!, June 27, 2007
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
I bought this dvd for my tomboy stepdaughter and she just loves it! Hannah Montana is the best thing Disney has come up with (besides High School Musical that is!)...entertaining and uplifting. Hannah is fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD for all Hannah Montana fans!, February 28, 2007
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
What is not to like about Hannah Montana. This DVD will give all fans 90 minutes of fun entertainment!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOO HOO!, January 28, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
Okay first of all, the bad things that people say about hannah: she can't sing which she can sooo do, she has a wierd name, and 3rd of all she's boring, okay well those might be your opinions, but why do you have to say that why can't you just ignore it if you don't like it? Hah? because lots of other people get disapointed when you say that stuff because they like her or love her! Okay, now the good things about it: she can dance well, she's not another Hilary Duff, and last, she actually has talent unlike fergie, paris hilton, jibbs, and so on. So do y'all out there agree with me? If you do, say this review was helpful, if you don't, you're a stinker! My favorite things about it are the interview, the never before seen episode, and the music video. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Overall this is one of the best dvds i've ever seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it. I like it alot., November 8, 2006
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
I absolutely love this show. I'm probably a little older than their target audience (I'm 23) but I can't get enough of this show. Miley is cute -she has the cutest facial expressions, and there's something about her that just makes her so fun to warch. She isn't the best actress or the best singer in the world -she's young and can only get better though; and still I just can't wait for the next new episode. The show is funny in a way that sort of reminds of I Love Lucy; the way she always gets herself into situations and tries to get out of them in the funniest way. Like why didn't she tell the boy in "I can't make you love hannah if you don't" that she couldn't go to the Hannah Montana concert with him instead of trying to do the flinstones and be in two places at once? Not to mention rapping for him? doh di doh di doh. :) The songs are good too.. upbeat and I think they all have a good message. Parents might like that. They might also like the fact that family is an important aspect of Hannah Montana. Her father is also her manager and is like a best friend to Miley, and her relationship with her brother is like any other loving relationship between a brother and sister. -meaning they fight alot but are there for each other when it matters. I also love the fact that Miley does get the best of both worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hanna rocks!, January 26, 2007
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
I bought this for my 8 year old daughter for Christmas, and the first day she watched it she watched it four more times. There are four Hanna episodes, and anyone who knows anything about Hanna Montana will love them.

She also bypassed watching a movie and wanted to watch this instead with her best friend during a sleep over.

5.0 out of 5 stars go hannah montana!, November 19, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life (DVD)
I love Hannah Montana! I got the DVD and CD for my birthday and haven't stopped watching and listening to them! The show rocks so much, it's really addicting. Miley Cyrus plays a teen pop star, Hannah Montana, and a normal teenager, Miley Stewart. She won't mix the two. Only her family and her best friends Lily Truscott (Emily Osment) and Oliver Oaken (Mitchel Musso) know that she's Hannah Montana. She finds herself in positions where Hannah Montana and Miley Stewart need to be in the same place at the same time...so, that's the show!! It's completely awesome and you should buy this DVD and the soundtrack NOW!!!!!!!!

Hannah Montana, Vol. 1 - Livin' the Rock Star Life