Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Dr. Michael Everett's wife Hannah died after a very short battle with ovarian cancer. She was stage 4 when she was diagnosed. Her husband has carried an enormous burden of guilt thinking that he was a doctor, he should have known sooner.

On the anniversary of her death, her brother, Michael's best friend, gives him a letter Hannah wrote to him shortly before she died. It was a heartbreaking letter that reminded him of her love and the wonderful years they had together, but it also had one final request. She wanted him to marry again and not spend his years grieving her. She even included a list of three names of women she thought he should consider.
Her cousin, Winter Adams, who is a chef and owns a cafe on Blossom Street.
Leanne Lancaster, who was Hannah's oncology nurse.
And Macy Roth, an artist Hannah had met.

Over the next few month's he spends time with each of them, learning about them, but also learning quite a bit about himself.

This is a true love story although the list idea is not entirely new. I remember an old episode of Everyone Loves Raymond where this idea was dealt with using a great deal of humor. Debbie's version really tugs at the heart strings. The good thing is that you know that when your are reading a Debbie Macomber book you are almost assured of a happy ending. While this book does take place around Blossom Street and a few of the characters from that series make an appearance, this is definitely a stand alone book. Although I do hope Dr. Michael Everett shows up in some way in the Blossom Street series, so we can see how things continue in his future. He is truly an endearing character. This was a truly enjoyable read for an early Spring day.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free.. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
44 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2010
It's been a year since his beloved wife Hannah's death and Dr. Michael Everett still grieves for as much today as the day he lost her. He manages to get himself to the gym and to his practice, where he is a pediatrician, each day. But nothing else much matters to him. And then on the one year anniversary of her death, her brother Richie, who is also Michael's best friend, gives him a letter Hannah wrote months before her death. She asks him for one last favor - to not grieve for her forever. She wants him to find love again, to marry again and to have the family that they were unable to have. But Hannah takes it one step further and gives Michael the names of three women she feels will bring him happiness and love again.

Winter Adams (from the Blossom Street series) and owner of The French Cafe is Hannah's cousin. She is a strong, professional woman trying to figure out where she and Pierre, her long time on-again off again boyfriend stand.

Leanne Lancaster was one of Hannah's nurses who helped her through the last months of her illness. She has just gone through divorce, a decision she is now second guessing, and can empathize with Michael and his feelings of loneliness and grief as she is going through similar emotions over the loss of her marriage.

Macy Roth is the wild card. She's young, impetuous, carefree, and counts her three cats, a stray dog, and a crotchety old neighbor as her family. She is habitually late, stubborn, terrified of love and everything that Hannah was not.

Winter, Macy and Leanne each have issues in their private lives they need to settle before they can give romance with Michael a chance. But each of these women also has something different to offer Michael in terms of learning to find his way back to the land of living and to opening his heart to love again. Over the next few months Michael will spend time with each of them, getting to know them and often wondering what Hannah could possibly have been thinking when she picked each one. But most importantly Michael finds himself again, and with some help from his beloved Hannah, he also finds love. A moving story of three woman, each struggling to find their way in their own relationships and one mans struggle to realize that life does go on after loss and that you can find happiness again.
on April 30, 2010
Maybe it's just me, but as a faithful Macomber reader I had high expectations for this book. I had had its release date noted on my calendar for a couple months. Sadly, at least for me, this is a weak effort. I had just finished reading "Twenty Wishes" for the third time so maybe the excellence of "Twenty" made it a hard act to follow. I found "Hannah's List" a bit saccharine, predictable and too easy of a read. Even the font's point size is larger than previous releases (making me think the publishers are trying to make something more out of it than it really is). I have been eager and willing to pay hardback prices for the other "Blossom Street" books; this one just isn't worth it. It's an OK read...just not of the caliber and complexity that I've gotten used to.
88 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2010
I am a faithful reader of Debbie Macomber's books. I look forward to each one and don't expect any thing more than an enjoyable fast light read. This one was certainly not anywhere near to what I consider a pretty low expectation. It was so boring, I could not wait to get to the end just so I could be done with it. Certainly feel ripped off for the price!

It seemed to me that this book was just thrown together to meet a deadline and make money. The plot was very thin. Characters really were never developed. All I learned about the main character was that he was a grieving widow. Hard to believe when it did not take him long at all (a couple dates) to fall in love again. Please... give me a break!
on April 22, 2012
"Hannah's List" is another first for me. This is my first book by Debbie Macomber. Debbie has such a good sense of how to manipulate the reader to really care about the characters. I love this book. I read it in 2 days. That's how good it is.

Let me start off that the main character in this book "Michael" loses his wife Hannah to cancer. And on the year of his wife's death his brother-in-law gives him a letter from his dead wife. Hannah wrote a letter for Michael before she died explaining how she wants him to marry and have children. She knew he wouldn't go out and date so she wrote him a list of 3 women she feels would have a good impact in Michael's life. But how can he remarry when he is still in love with his dead wife. So at first Michael wasn't interested whatsoever. But with the encouragement of his brother-in-law he meets the ladies his wife put on his list.

So he meets them one by one and they all help him start moving on and letting go of his dead wife. They teach him to enjoy life again, to laugh, to smile and most of all ONE special one teaches him to love again. A feeling he thought he'd never feel again but he was wrong and Hannah was right. Finally happy once again all thanks to "Hannah's List". =)
on April 17, 2015
Another great book in the series. I just can not get enough of these books. I could read Debbie Macomber nooks every day. Great story it covers all the feelings you possess. It came at a great time in my life for which I thank you.
on May 1, 2015
The book was very good but very predictable. As Hannah's husband went through the list of a future wife for him, as soon as I read that two out three still had feelings for their last relationship I knew that Macy was the one that he would marry. Even though the author had them get off to a bad start it was obvious how the book would end.
on May 15, 2015
This story had a great twist to it. I was able to figure out how I thought it would turnout, and I was right. Usually they surprise me. All along though, I would think I figured out, and then I would wonder. To think of somebody writing a list of names for her husband to date and marry after her own death, is almost unelieable btu that is just what she did. What looked like an impossible thing to do, turned out to be a reliable solutions. Very interesting book.
on July 20, 2010
Michael Everett's beloved wife Hannah died one year ago from cancer. During this time, Michael has grieved and allowed no one close. He doesn't go out, he doesn't socialize much, and he basically has shut down in his sadness. On the one year anniversary of her death, Michael's brother-in-law gives him a letter his wife wrote before she died. In it, she gives Michael the names of three women she wants him to meet and possibly fall in love with. Michael is shocked, angry, and somewhat dismayed to find out that Hannah knew before her death exactly how he would act once she was gone. He doesn't want anything to do with any of the women, but feels he at least should see why his wife felt the need to suggest their names. He doesn't expect to fall in love, nor does he expect his world to turn upside down. But it does and Hannah's List guides him along the way.

I am sad to say that Hannah's List left me feeling empty. Michael's grief is real, but his ungallant behavior towards one of the women on the list shocked me to the core so much that I forgot about Michael hurting. His treatment of her was so despising that I almost couldn't finish this book. I found no connection between Michael and any of the women on the list and frankly, by this time, I hoped he would be alone forever. I most definitely will not ever read this book again.

Talia Ricci
Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 20, 2010
Hannah's List is the latest book by Debbie Macomber and while a few of the Blossom Street characters make cameo appearances, it is a stand-alone book. Michael Everett lost his wife, Hannah, a year ago and they truly had a great marriage. Still grieving, on the one year anniversary of her death, Hannah's brother hands him a letter he was given by her. In the letter, Hannah encourages Michael to begin living again and includes a list of three women she thinks would potentially be good candidates for his partner for the remainder of his years.

One of the things that is different about this book is that the primary character and narrator is male. Most of Ms. Macomber's books are written from the female point of view, so there is a slightly different tone to this one. I don't think it is necessarily a problem, but it is different.

Something the potential reader should know before deciding to read this book. All of Ms. Macomber's books are an easy read. I can go through one of her books in a couple of days so quick is what I expect. In this case, it was even more so. The type is absolutely huge - while the book is 412 pages, that number is misleading since it could easily have been closer to 250 if a normal font size was used. I sat down and read over 200 pages in about 2 hours - way above my "normal" reading pace!

While I largely love her books and faithfully read the Blossom Street and Cedar Cove series and find them comforting, sometimes comforting translates to boring and this one verged on boring. It was so linear and the outcome so telegraphed from the beginning that there was no tension or even a twist or turn to keep my interest. Most of the characters, including the main character of Michael, were one-dimensional and uninteresting. The supporting characters just make appearances rather than adding anything to the story. While I enjoy a feel-good, light read this one was just too fluffy for me. Definitely not bad, but nowhere near the quality of her other books - I almost think she needed to get something published and hurried through this one. I'll give it a 3-star since there is some halo-effect from liking her other works.