Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on July 6, 2015
Best book in the series...you get a small glimpse of Hannibal with humanity.
on December 9, 2006
I wanted to love this book. I really, really did. I adore the character of Hannibal Lecter, and was looking forward to reading more about him.

I'd give this book negative stars if I could.

This isn't so much a book as it is bad fanfic, and OOC at that. I'll refrain from revealing plot elements for the sake of those masochistic enough to read this horrific excretion, but Thomas Harris (or whoever he subcontracted this abortion out to) has turned an intruiging and intricate character into a banal, whiny stereotype. The younger years of Hannibal Lecter had so much promise... and we get -this-?

Thomas Harris, of all the people to emulate, why George Lucas?
on March 9, 2007
Thomas Harris takes a book and not only puts you in it, but makes you feel for Hannibal. It is now understood why he is such an great mind and why he was/is the way that he is. GREAT TO READ, even BETTER to have it read to you. The CD of this book is WELL WORTH THE PRICE.

Way to go Mr. Harris for making Hannibal a center of understanding and making you feel compassion for him.
on August 28, 2007
Another reviewer stated that Lecter in this latest book is a vigilante avenging wrongs done to him and his family by deserters and scavengers. I honestly think that of all the people that Hannibal killed it was in some way right a wrong or a flaw in the persons charecter. The only thing good to ever come out of this is Sir Anthonys protrayal of the good doctor.
on July 13, 2015
I adore this book!!! It's one of my favorite Hannibal Lecter books!!!!
on January 27, 2007
Why didn't I learn my lesson with his last book? Let's face it, the magic ended with Silence of the Lambs. This book was very disappointing! The plot was unbelievable and the characters had no depth. Save your money!
on February 28, 2007
I couldn't wait to buy this book - was going to wait until it came out in paperback...I wish I had. I'm a big Hannibal fan, but this book is not a good read. I wish Thomas Harris would take it all back and do it again.
on April 20, 2015
Not much like red dragon or lambs, but I liked this book very much.
on November 17, 2014
Great read into the understanding of how Hannibal became who he is.
on February 4, 2007
I hate myself for jumping to the "buy" button before reading other reviews. Oh God, after ten odd years of waiting to learn the background of Hannibal, do we deserve that lame tie to Nazis? Should every vile thing in man be connected to Nazis? Yes, I hate them, you hate them, a huge majority of us (unfortunately not all of us) hates them but what a stinking sell-out to put the blame on Nazi-era (again).

Hannibal series was always a top-range psychological thriller because it used to dwell on human psychology, the inner circles of it. This book omits everything, goes for a very run-of-the-mill mainstream action thriller with no psychology (except fake attempts). Was it too hard for Harris to conceive any other childhood for Hannibal? Wasn't it possible that he was grown up at the hands of a psychopath, sexually perverted father, who perhaps forced the little Hannibal to feed on his friends, family members (and yes Mr Harris you could use sisters again) servants etc? I am sure it wouldn't sound as cheesy as this one.

I fully agree with one of the reviewers below; perhaps we have placed much attachment to Hannibal thanks to the great Hopkin's excellent performance...It is a pity that Harris couldn't manage his hero in the book to live up to that performance. Hannibal by the end of the book was just a step below a saint or an angel...I wouldn't be surprised if he dined with Pope...

And as for those who think that Harris is a compelling author just read this book and the preceding one Hannibal. You will easily have second thoughts (like me)

If you like how (Nazi) evil corrupts/ perverts human soul, go read Stephen King's Apt Pupil (in Different Seasons), Primo Levi's books, Jerzy N. Kosinski's The Painted Bird, with great psychological approaches to Nazi evil, or the evil in the world...

The funny thing is that if you cut out that Nazi background, then the book offers nothing...
44 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse