4.0 out of 5 stars great all-purpose / work monitor
This monitor is an amazing value (it can be found for $500 at the time of this review: January 2008).

I am a software engineer and bought this monitor for my home office.
It has a very large .309" dot pitch, which is exactly what I wanted, so text appears as large as possible at a given font size.

Not sure why some people whine about large dot...
Published on January 19, 2008 by linux

1.0 out of 5 stars Died in less than three months
I'll keep this review brief. While it worked, this was a great monitor. Really nice picture, fast refresh, no ghosting -- exactly what you'd want in a big screen LCD. Then, after about three months, the whole screen started turning white. Switch off monitor and then switch back on. It worked fine for about twenty minutes, then screen turned all white. Now it does it...
Published on January 17, 2009 by ollierobbers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, November 13, 2008
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
I just got it today, and hooked it up this afternoon. After initially having some frustrating problems figuring how to get my new Macbook to view it as an external display (my fault...the Help files explained it all), I got it up and running. After 3 hours of use, I don't think I can ever go back to a smaller monitor now. Not a single dead pixel, thankfully. I set up the brightness/contrast, and RGB values as other reviewers here suggested, and I'm very happy with the result. I don't know how the speakers are, since I use Soundsticks. I was initially going to go with the Apple Cinema Display, but I'm very impressed with the both the quality and price of the HannsG. No complaints here.

5.0 out of 5 stars After reading over 500 reviews and over a month of research, September 28, 2009
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
I have used in the past many LCD monitors. I've used high quality displays and also budget TN panel displays. But I needed an LCD Monitor that was big enough to work as a decent HD display. I need something I can play 360 on, PC games, watch netflix movies and also run work apps on. Many years ago I did not want to touch a TN display. I only used PVA or S-ips panels. And I didn't really care if the response time was bad, it was a sacrifice I was willing to make for a high quality display.

Then I ran into a 19" viewsonic at work with a 2ms response time that was damn good. Honestly it was comparable to my Samsung 940T which uses a PVA panel. To be totally honest, it actually was a better display, better colors, better everything. Some may disagree but to my eyes this is the case. After that I began to look at TN displays.

Since i've owned 22" displays and even purchased a 24" Asus display. But there came the problem. The 24" Asus was just unacceptable to me. The viewing angles were pretty horrendous and not only that, the contrast was just bad. It was either super bright that you can't see good. Text looks like skinny lines that want to disappear. Or it's super dark and ugly to look at. Not only that, it also gave me a headache to stare at that screen all day. I never do this but after thoughtful consideration I decided to return it and swallow the 15% restocking fee.

After that I stayed away from TN panels larger than 22". Until this monitor came along. I read so many damn reviews and still was unsure. Because so many people just love it while a small bunch just hate it and say it's horrendous. Even after going to the store and looking at the display in person, it was just difficult to gauge the quality offered here.

But at tigerdirect I saw it next to the Samsung 260HD and the I-Inc 25" and just decided you know what, i'm going to buy this and if it doesn't work out, i'll just eat another 15% restocking fee and lesson learned.

The Samsung looked too dark and although I loved the connections and remote, it's noticeably smaller screen and the image quality is worse. Yes it is, as far as I can tell. The 25" I-inc looked really good but because it's a 16:9 display vs the typical 16:10 PC display, it gave me pause. But the price was much less. Almost half but again, this is not a TV, it must be a very capable PC monitor as well. I decided to pass on it and in the end I purchased the I-Inc 28" LCD display.

This is a very nice product. You have to screw in the stand with 4 screws(included) at first which is very easy. Then you're ready to go. Every cable you could possibly need is included. Most of you already know that this doesn't have a DVI port and instead a HDMI port and you know it includes a DVI to HDMI pass through cable. Well that's cool and I knew that from reading reviews. I didn't know however that it includes a component to VGA pass through cable. If you want to connect a cable box, game console, DVD player or whatever that doesn't have an HDMI out, then you can run a component cable and pass it through to the VGA(PC) port on this monitor. That is super cool.

I am connecting my 360 via HDMI and PC with VGA but it really is so nice to have all of these connectivity options. These people thought about everything. It's so great that they are offering this screen at such a low price and everything you could possibly ever need is included. With so much thoughtfulness on their part and considering the rock bottom price, to me this makes up for the lack of DVI input and lack of a second HDMI input. That is a bold statement but I strongly believe that.

As far as quality of the screen is concerned, WOW is what first comes to mind. First of all it is important to emphasize just how big this screen is. It is a lot bigger than even a 24" display. A 22" display literally looks TINY by comparison. It really is a HUGE display. And the image quality is damn good. You have to adjust the brightness and colors to get them to where you like them. After spending some time adjusting this, I can safely say it looks beautiful. Is it as good as a 30" Dell, no it's not. But it's damn close. Too close for comfort actually. It's ridiculous when you think how much cheaper this is than a Dell.

Viewing angles are very good. Horizontal viewing angles are as good as you want them. Vertically when looking down on the screen again they are good. When you look from the bottom up on the screen there you will find problems. But you have to be looking at it from extreme angles that are completely unrealistic. If you are sitting on the floor and this screen is on a desk for example, then the screen will look gorgeous and you will not notice a problem. Only when you put your face under the screen and look straight up you will see everything go dark.

The stand is very strong and tilts forward and back and left and right. Also this thing is not so heavy. That is good considering how big it is.

I got no dead pixels on mine. The screen is just beautiful. The speakers I didn't even try them. I never connect speakers on my monitor. I have independent speakers that I use on my PC.

Finally one concern I had was so many reviews saying the screen gets hot. I have found this not to be the case. I have been an owner of plasma screens for years and all of those get hot on the front on the actual screen space. They can get pretty darn hot and it even makes your room hotter which is not good for me since I live in south florida. However plasmas have better image quality than LCDs so I am a loyal plasma user.

It was weird to think that an LCD can have a hot screen but there it was in a bunch of reviews. At the store I confirmed this, the top of the display gets hot. Not the actual screen like with plasmas but the top and back of the display gets a bit hot.

However, this has not happened to me at home. Maybe if you leave it on for 14 hours in a row like they do in the store it gets hot or maybe the newer models have been fixed of this problem, I don't know. But mine has not gotten hot at all. I can feel it maybe a tiny bit warm in the top of the back after a few hours but nothing near to what I noticed with the floor models at tigerdirect.

I recommend this display but only to those who REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GETTING. You are getting a HUGE MONSTER maybe TOO BIG of a screen. That may be too much for you to handle. This would be true if you were buying a 30" Dell also. Screens this size for PC usage may be too big for some users.

Also you are getting a screen that you need to adjust the brightness and colors when you get it home. If you just leave it at full blast and sit 6 inches from the screen you will probably get dizzy and fall back in your chair. Not recommended for this type of inexperienced user.

You are not getting multiple usb ports, multiple hdmi ports, dvi port and optical out. You have to know what you're doing to connect what you have as best you can to this. To me this is acceptable because this is just a PC monitor. This is not an HDTV that is expected to handle multiple connections. And for the price it's a home run but again not for the novice.

As far as picture quality for watching TV, this one scores very good. It's not as good as a 65" Panasonic Plasma or any plasma but that is to be expected. It is a very competent TV screen and in my opinion it beats every other PC monitor as a TV that is smaller. Including the Dell 24" display that uses a S-ips panel and is twice as expensive. As a TV, this is bigger and has just as good image quality.

Also to play videogames, this beats every other PC screen that is smaller and again that inlcludes the PVA and S-ips displays out there. This simply kicks their ass, knockout!

This is the best small/medium HDTV for movies and videogames for a bedroom you can have. For the price nothing beats it. As a PC monitor it kicks serious ass and it usually takes something double the price to begin to be competitive. Combine that with an awesome HDTV and you have quite possibly the deal of the decade!

In a nutshell this is just a TN PC monitor that has image quality as good as any TN panel 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 or 27 display you've ever seen. It has connections that make it a kick ass HDCP compliant HDTV and it is found at a price that kicks your own butt!!!

By now you should be planning on ordering this awesome display. But which one do you get? I would go with the lowest price. I got the I-inc instead of the Hanns G(same monitor) because I have a tigerdirect near my house and I don't have to wait for shipping. Also it was cheaper than newegg and amazon when I bought it on special. The Hanns G has 3 years warranty vs 1 year for the I-inc so that is also a consideration.

There is also the hanspree 28" HDTV that has better connections and better speakers, built in tuner and comes with a remote control for $100 more. This is good also if you absolutely want the extra connections and want the tuner and remote. It's still going to kick ass and you can still use it as a PC monitor.

For me I think the plain models are the best bang for the buck and they include everything I need for my specific setup.

1.0 out of 5 stars does't last, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
We have had a monitor like this for close to 3 years and it hasn't worked correctly for the last year. The screen will get all spotty and do odd things then it will go blank and I can't get to come back on. We couldn't find the warrenty papers so my brother in law took it apart to try and fix it. He contacted the company and they said if he sent it back they would fix it for $20 so he asked for the address and he has never heard back. You can't talk to a human and they won't email him back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short lifetime, September 19, 2011
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
I bought my HG281D in Feb 08. While it worked I was happy with it. However it died after 3.5 years - just 6 months after the warranty expired. I contacted HannsG service: they advised me to take it to a local repair shop. HannsG did not respond to my pointing out that the monitor is just 6 months older than the warranty they provide.
I am very disappointed: I expect a longer lifetime from a monitor that back then costed $600.
In fact this monitor is the one with by far the shortest lifetime I ever bought.
If you browse a bit around on the Web you will notice that Hanns G monitors seem to have a way above average rate of failures. I will never buy this brand again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome value, crisp text, reliability unknown but worth it. Buy it!, December 7, 2009
snooker (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
This review is for the I-Inc iF281 which is practically identical in features to the HannsG HG281DPB, but apparently only sold at CompUsa and TigerDirect:

Just got it today so limited experience. But for features and price I am extremely happy with the I-Inc iF281 (IF281DPB).

Apparently I-Inc is an *even cheaper* sister brand of the HannsG brand, both of which are under the HannStar company from Taiwan.
The I-Inc IF281DPB is almost identical in specs to the HannsG HG281DPB, except:
- The power consumption spec appears to be smaller on the HannsG (more on this later).
- The HannsG has a different bezel that is piano gloss instead of the flat black of I-Inc.
- The HannsG has a 3yr (partial) warranty whereas the I-Inc has a 1yr (partial). By partial I mean that parts and labor have the full warranty term, but the LCD Panel itself *may* be less. (more on this later).

I will use this for 8 hours/day of sw development so lots of staring at either white or black editor background screens.
So my need is for text editing, not photo or graphics editing, and not for watching video or gaming. For my needs it appears to be a fantastic value.
The first week of December 2009 it was 250 at CompUsa but 320 at TigerDirect, not sure why as now CompUsa is also 320. What an amazing deal!

Observations:
-The value is impossible to beat for a 28" with 1920 x 1200 res. Most monitors at 23-26" are 1900 width, but stop at 1080 height and NOT the full 1200 which is great for added desktop area.
-Nice clear fonts, easy to read text, not fuzzy. A 28" is optimal as the pixel pitch is large at .309mm. So for older eyes the fonts are bigger than they would be on a slightly smaller one like a 23-26" at 1900x1200, or a 30" at higher resolution.
-I am happy with the quality, but the reliability and warranty is unsure and suspect in the long run, but again worth the money vs the alternatives.
-Yes it is way too bright out of the box, but this is adjustable to look fine, white is not too strong and blacks are black now (not washed out greys).
-The bezel is not glossy but flat black and I like this better than the HannsG models with piano gloss that adds glare. The screen has great non-glare coating (unlike some HP's).
-The monitor stand tilts and swivels just enough, but does not raise and does not rotate to portrait. Height is good - for me eye level is about 3/4 of way up on screen.
-I hooked it up to a year old Compaq laptop using its DVI output to the monitor's HDMI input. This cable (DVI<->HDMI) is included in the box. I did not try the VGA input, perhaps it is poor quality as others have declared, I don't know.
-I have it running side by side with my 3 yr old Samsung 225BW 22" on the VGA input. I can adjust the I-Inc to look pretty much the same to my eyes.
-To me I don't see any issues with some areas of the screen being darker than others any more than I would expect from side viewing any TFT LCD monitor. I don't notice any stuck pixels.

Details:
The manufactured date shows July 2009. Others have said this is a 2006-2007 model but I don't think so from this supplier at this writing. This date may be important for 2 reasons:
- Some have complained that theirs runs very hot and is rated for 100W vs 65W for the HannsG. But my experience is that it does not feel hot at all, just similar to my 22" Samsung. I wonder if the old units are now gone and the newer power supply design is now used?
- The warranty on the I-IDT website as of 12/2/09 lists "1 year for parts, labor, and LCD panel" but the warranty card in the box (from 7/09) lists "1 year for parts, 1 year for labor".
Obviously my concern is that it is the LCD panel that needs the warranty! My take on this is that the shipped box has older printed warranty cards (labeled I_LCD1_W_USA_R03) but I purchased based on the only information I could find, which was on the website. Hopefully I will never need to find out.
- In comparison, the HannsG warranty on their website shows 3 years for parts and labor, and 1 year for LCD panel.

Other clarifications:
Right out of the box when cold it was a bit fuzzy for fonts but that went away after it warmed up and it looks totally sharp. It's not like the old CRT days when focusing beams might not look sharp on a low end CRT brand name.
And the brightness defaults to 100 and that was WAY too bright and made blacks look like grays.
But again the good news is that after using the on screen menu to adjust brightness (I use 1-10 and even 1 is bright) and adjust contrast & color, I can get it to look just like my 3 yr old Samsung 225BW 22" with its brightness at 70.
The input select (VGA or HDMI) is in the on screen menu and takes 3-4 button pushes (not a concern for my usage).
You can also set custom settings for R, G and B color which dims the overall brightness as well, and by turning those way down you can then crank contrast back higher. I have R=80, G=80, B=50, Contrast=50 and Brightness=10.

Summary:
+ Great value, true 1200 height resolution for PC monitor use, not just made for 1080p video box inputs.
+ Sharp text display, turn down the brightness and contrast and it has good blacks and not painfully bright.
- Reliability is unknown, and warranty is definitely suspect, (but CompUsa offers extended warranty if desired).
- They make a different model for higher dynamic contrast for more money, probably better for some users.
- No remote control or tuner as it is a PC monitor and not a TV.

It has the features I need and I don't mind gambling on the reliability for this price!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Best Buys yet..., May 6, 2009
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
so many good reviews on this made me decide to buy one.
I got it without a scrathc on the box.
When installed, it was easy.
The swivel base is wonderful (don't know how many degrees but enough to be a good feature.)
It is BRIGHT!!!! I had to tone it down to 60% brightness and still blinds my eyes.
The contrast is good too. The response time is a bit slow, but if you are not switching from different inputs, it's not a big issue.
I have 2 sources feeding into this one, I wish it had a remote with it to work sound control.
It is big and beautiful. Just gorgeous.
No dead pixels. Just wonderful.
At $350 (same price as Costco but they have to charge you tax), if you don't buy this, and you buy any other brand (Samsung, Dell, HP, whatever), you are making a wrong choice.
Buy this one if you are upgrading from 19 or 17 monitor and wants a bigger one. Maybe you are considering 22" or 24"... don't!
Just grab this one. Only a few bucks more than the 22" and much cheaper than a 30" or even some 24" monitors-- for example Apple's $899 monitor?!
Hanns G didn't pay me. Just buy this one and you will join the group of happy clams who did.
Solid 5 star without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture quality at a great price, November 28, 2008
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
Pros:
- The price is very good ($439)
- The image quality is amazing
- Default settings were very good, picture quality including color and brightness/contrast were practically perfect

Cons:
- On/Off and menu buttons are placed a bit awkwardly

I bought this monitor to replace a 26" LG monitor (which is now a secondary monitor on the same computer). The LG had cost $600 when I got it, and while it is bright and has good contrast, the color quality always left a bit to be desired. Not so with the Hanns-G monitor. It's brighter than the LG and has even better contrast while still being very easy on the eyes, and the color and sharpness are light years ahead.

The only gripe I have is that the ON/OFF/OSD buttons are placed on the back of the monitor, just off the side. The buttons are large and easy to find and identify by feel, but it is a bit awkward. On the other hand, there was very little adjusting that I needed to do with it, the default settings were just about perfect. I'm really happy with it after just three days of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for programming, general purpose, June 16, 2009
Scott Hodson (South Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
I love this monitor, mainly because of its size and affordable price. I've had it for 2 months now, use it every day, and love it! I connect a Dell laptop or my MacBook Pro to it just fine. I am a programmer (lots of code/text) and a trader (lots of charts and colored text) so it's great for what I need it for. I don't know if it's good enough for photographers who need exacting colors but I don't care, it's great for me. My kids play games on it and the graphics look great on those as well. There are no dead pixels and no fading on the edges. Out of the box the settings seemed very bright but, like others have mentioned, that was easy to adjust. I'm probably going to buy another 1 or 2 more of these!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works, November 22, 2009
James M Bathgate "Jim B" (La Honda, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
I bought one of these monitors off Amazon about a year ago and it has worked fine. I love the larger pixel pitch for my old eyes. I bought a second unit a couple months ago for use at work, and within one month it stopped working (white screen of death). Evidently this is a fairly common fault with this monitor. Since Hanns G has no local service depot, I had to mail it back to them in Southern California for repair. It is now fixed but a lot of hassle for a monitor that should be more reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Monitor, November 15, 2008
This review is from: Hanns.G HG281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Electronics)
Have been doing research of several months. Decided to purchase
this over the ViewSonic VX2835wm 28-inch because of Price and
consistent reviews. Controls take a little to get used to.
However I am very very pleased with every thing. Depth of
picture and clarity are Great.HD works great also. Would