5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm
I purchased this screen because of my stay at home job. I gave it a chance but with a little skeptics since it was the cheapest screen out there.

Published 20 months ago by Happy Shopper

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest, smallest, but lackluster quality ... cheap though!
Published 16 months ago by C. Hua

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Hannspree HL HL161ABB 16-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (Personal Computers)

I have been using this screen for 6 months 8 hrs a day and so far so good. I am very happy with this screen because it is very clear. The menu options are very easy and customizable. The screen resolution is 1366 x 768. You can make it as bright or as dark as you need.

I would recommend this for anyone on a budget needing a cheap quality monitor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest, smallest, but lackluster quality ... cheap though!, May 5, 2013
C. Hua "A Student" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Regarding pricing, this is the absolute cheapest LCD monitor you can get from Amazon. This monitor, table clamp mount, and DisplayPort to VGA cable, all cost me $100, shipped. I am using it as a secondary monitor for my X220 laptop, which uses an IPS LED display, which I will cover later. For the price and my purpose, it gets 5 stars right off the bat. Upon initial inspection, this thing is super light, like 3lb. It's barely 1" thick and uses a dinky power supply, which leaves the transformer external to the body, giving it such a small footprint. The monitor is smaller than I thought, but the perfect size for my tiny desk. It almost feels like it will snap in my hands. But anyway, it's the exact footprint I needed to get back some of my precious table space and giving me the secondary display I need to supplement my 12.5" laptop LCD. So starting with 5 stars, here's where some points get knocked off...

My X220 uses an IPS LED panel, which provides the richest color quality and image quality to date. Because this monitor is VGA analog only, do not expect digital quality output such as DVI. Sitting my laptop next to this display, it's painfully obvious how different they are. Colors are far too washed out, back light too bright, and edges slightly bleeding into each other. Users used to using VGA displays will not notice as much but anyone using modern DVI, DisplayPort or HDMI monitors will be sorely dissapointed. So long as you are using this for light office work or 480 or 360 video, it should be fine. Do not anticipate using this as a primary display because reading text on it will give you eyestrain. Ding 1.

With the brightness all screwed up and colors washed out, I immediately went to try the color presets on the monitor. No combination of presets and the Intel HD color calibration would work. No matter how hard I tried, the colors came out too dark/bright or washed out. The issue is that the LED back light is so intense that it causes what little color output of the LCD to wash out. At best, I found that using the Eco-profile, which is power saving, works - mostly. The eco profile brings the brightness all the way down and contrast slightly up, which lets what little color output from the LCD actually show. Also, it's the only setting that doesn't give me eyestrain. Because the panel is so thin, the LED light is right up against the LCD, so at normal brightness, it's like staring into a light bulb. The calibration is so poor and difficult that I'm going to have to ding another star here.

In general, this display works beautifully so long as its a secondary display for occasional use only. If you plan on reading documents on it, don't bother. It's great for providing a Windows desktop space to throw some extra browser windows, email, or calendar. Because of its analog nature, it will take some calibration using Windows 7 built-in font calibration tool to get text to come out readable. Currently watching Hulu on that display while doing personal finances on the primary laptop display, and writing this review, on my primary display, of course ...

So the rundown:

Price starts this item at 5 stars
ding 1 star for analog quality color/clarity
ding 1 star for poor calibration ability
Total stars: 3

PS: I wrote this review once over but did not see it come up on Amazon, so wasn't sure if it was submitted properly. Feel free to ignore if you see duplicates.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice small portable monitor, January 13, 2013
It's perfect for on the go used as an auxilliary, lightweight and functional. Viewing angles are limited though, typical of non-TFT.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Value, July 22, 2013
I was shopping for a monitor for the navigation station on my sailboat. The last one had survived in the marine environment for almost 10 years but was starting to get dime sized black spots and I figured I had better replace it rather than have it die on an ocean passage since we use the computer for all of our electronic navigation.

We use a laptop as our ship's computer and keep it stowed away in a safe, dry, place. We use it with a remote keyboard, mouse and monitor.

My requirements were not what most monitor shoppers are looking for and I was willing to pay more that the average market price to find a monitor that would meet our needs. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that one of the least expensive monitors on Amazon was the best match for my requirements.

We needed a monitor that was small enough to fit into the space we have available. This one worked although a little smaller would have been better. I had to move a couple of instruments around to get space for this new monitor.

I wanted a monitor that used 12V DC through a brick type power supply. This was one of the few offered on Amazon where the specifications did show what voltage was supplied by the power supply. An internal power supply was not acceptable. I cut the wires from the brick and hook them directly into the boat's 12 volt power and it works fine. That way I don't have to deal with all the power that is wasted using the brick to convert wall power into 12v DC.

Everything on our boat can experience a rough ride so I wanted a monitor that was light so it was not subjected to strong forces where it was accelerated as we jump over waves.

I wanted a monitor that accepted our standard cantilevered mount hole pattern. This monitor did not and I had to make up an adapter plate to get the monitor to fit on our mount.

The performance is fine for both our navigation software and the the software that runs the email program for our marine Single Side Band Radio. Neither of these applications is as demanding as gaming.

We also use the monitor for watching movies on the long night watches at sea. it works fine for that.

It does suffer from some AC hum that shows up as horizontal bands the move up the screen when our big battery charger is connected to dock power. This problem does not occur when we switch off the charger so Im sure its due to AC interference resulting from the large transformer in our charger. The interference pattern is not seen when the charger is turned off. Its not really much of a problem. The bands are very light.

This monitor was well packaged, included the required VGA cable and the power supply.

Check back in 10 years and Ill let you know how it held up compared with our original MAG monitor. If it only ;lasts 5 years it will be cost equivalent to the MAG monitor we just retired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monitor, May 11, 2013
WOW! This monitor is both lite and sharp. The quality of the picture is outstanding for color output and sharpness.

5.0 out of 5 stars looks great!, August 16, 2013
I use this at my store to stream music off the internet. It looks great and is not obtrusive in my gallery where customers can see it. Its funny 15 Inches years ago used to be a big monitor. Now with the wide screen it looks so small but perfect for my needs. I like the fact that it rotates up at a pretty good angle since we use it standing up over a desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor for the price!, March 10, 2012
I purchased this and a wireless keyboard to use with my Alienware M11xR3 laptop. I just wanted a bigger screen when doing my college papers. The screen size is good and the monitor is great for fitting into a tight space (I needed a screen that wasn't more than 12" high). The monitor is extremely light. The display is bright and easy to read. I've been using it for a bit more than a week now and am completely happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, May 19, 2013
This is a great little monitor! I needed something small to fit on my desk as a second monitor...didn't need DVI/HDMI...didn't need built in speakers...didn't need a webcam...I just wanted a small monitor with a great picture...and this monitor hits the mark. With a little fiddling of the brightness and contrast...the picture is nearly spot on with my Dell laptop. The monitor is surprisingly light weight. I have zero complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually is what it says it is, August 26, 2013
It is cheap, its for prime, and it is actually a decent screen. Its not big, about the same size as a laptop screen making it the absolute perfict dual screen for my hp pavilion dv7

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for our purposes, April 16, 2012
We needed a small, inexpensive monitor to hook up to normally headless servers and occasional PCs that are brought in for service. This monitor works fine for that. Note that it only has a VGA input, but we were able to use this connector (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OBVCO2/) to connect this monitor to PCs with a DVI-I only output. NOTE: It will not work with a PC having only a DVI-D connector, i.e. DVI without the 4-pin-in-a-cross analog connector. It uses a plug-side power supply with just a small thin 12V wire to the monitor--that may be good or bad for your setup. The monitor small by today's standards, but it's also very light and easy to move around. I give it 5 stars because for the money it was just what we needed. I wouldn't recommend it as your main desktop monitor though--save your pennies until you can get a bigger, nicer one.

Rate and Discover Movies