5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDTV for the price
Published on March 18, 2009 by Pete M.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a standard aspect ratio...beware
At first glance, this should be a great versatile unit. As a TV, it should play back full 1080p (16:9 aspect ratio). However, the widescreen display is less than optimal for use as a monitor, so the ability to display 1920 x 1200 (16:10 aspect ratio) should have made this perfect for double duty.

However, there's a major issue in the design. A 16:9 signal on...
Published on December 1, 2009 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a standard aspect ratio...beware, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Hannspree Xv - HT09 - 28" LCD TV - 1080p (FullHD) (Electronics)

However, there's a major issue in the design. A 16:9 signal on a 16:10 set should have black bars at top and bottom, but this set doesn't automatically do that. It fills the screen unless there's a key in the signal to force 16:9. Since the widescreen standard aspect ratio is 16:9, this means that an image will be vertically streched to 16:10 unless there's a key in the signal to force 16:9. I quickly discovered that many 16:9 signals don't have the key to control the display, and that I was forced to watch vertically distorted images, including those from the TV's built-in tuner. The simple solution would have been for Hannspree to have included a 16:9 aspect ratio that would force the display to normal 16:9 widescreen, and all would have been well. Unfortunately, in what has to be one of the silliest design decisions I've heard of, they didn't do it. After wrestling with this TV, and confirming with Hannspree customer service that there is no way for the TV to avoid vertically stretched displays unless it's forced to do so by the incoming signal, this one is going back.

It seems like common sense that a TV that uses an non-standard aspect ratio would be able to display the current standard widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9 for any signal, but common sense doesn't apply. This set will force many 16:9 images into 16:10, causing vertical distortion of the picture. That's just wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDTV for the price, March 18, 2009
I was in the market for a 32 inch HDTV for the bedroom. After measuring my entertainment center, I realized that a 32 inch was slightly too large and would not fit. I was extremely disappointed and did not want to spend $500 on a 26 incher. I'm so happy I found this set. A little larger than a 26, full 1080p clear picture and only $400. Perfect for any bedroom, plus I hooked up my spare computer to the included PC connection and I stream online tv episodes from my bed with the help of a wireless keyboard and mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars HANNSPREE 28" 1080P TV/MONITOR, June 23, 2009
Received from J&R Electronics in 2 Days $399.99 Free shipping. Works excellent, GREAT PC MONITOR, TV, & PS2 game monitor. I do recomend upgrading the cables. Use DVI/to HDMI for PC hookup set to HDMI-1, Use Sony component video/audio cables set to component-1 for PS2/3. and get a HiDef cable box and use a HDMI cable set it to HDMI-2. These cables can be found on Amazon (NOT BESTBUY) very reasonably priced (SHOP!) they will improve picture quality for everything you hook up to the TV. I don't get some of the problems some people have (READ the manuals)learn how to improve your picture, try different settings or customize to your liking. This isn't Rocket science. It's plug&play. For PC's upgrade you Video cards (NVIDIA) & wires it's simple

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird -- perfect -- size, GREAT HDTV!, September 2, 2009
I confess to a degree of suspicion when I saw the oddball size -- EXACTLY what I needed -- and the low price point, but with Amazon's return policy figured I'd at least give it a shot. It's in my home office and I watch it from a viewing distance of about seven feet.

Great picture, great sound, great value! The perfect TV for my home office. I highly recommend this LCD HDTV. Thank you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Why Doesn't Anyone Say Anything About the Aspect Ratio?, December 7, 2009
Come on, seriously. Hasn't anyone noticed that this TV has a 16:10 aspect ratio? All other HD sets are 16:9, and none of the cable or satellite companies broadcast in 16:10, nor does this set correct for the odd aspect ratio. I can't believe that nobody has complained about the fact that this tv stretches all the pictures vertically, making all the people look slightly taller and skinnier. Maybe this doesn't matter to those who have reviewed it previously, but it drove me freaking nuts!! Granted, it's only slight, but it really really bugged me.

That being said, the clarity of the picture is great, the size and resolution are great for the price, but I could not get past the odd aspect ratio. I had to return the tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV - Great Value!!, February 1, 2010
Scott Thomas (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this TV as a replacement for another brand. Not knowing the Hannspree name, I was reluctant to purchase it. I read other customer reviews and after careful consideration, I decided to order it. I am so glad that I did. The picture and sound quality is excellent and the remote control is not complicated to use. I will purchase another one when our bedroom TV has to be replaced. Any one considering purchasing a 28 inch flat screen 1080p TV should really try this one. You will NOT be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a PC Monitor!, October 13, 2009
L. Qi (Aurora, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this unit mainly for my PC, occasionally watch TV. I thought it is a good idea. Turns out I was completely wrong. Here is the issue:

It does not support 1920x1200 under VGA mode, Using a regular VGA cable the maximum resolution is 1680x1040. To be on full resolution, you need to have DVI output on your PC and a DVI-HDMI convert cable(which costs $30 at tigerdirect). And even after that, the screen still far from sharp. I don't know it was because the convert cable or maybe TV and PC monitor are natively different. But it's just NOT sharp. e.g. on a regular PC monitor most words are completely black, but on this one, some words appear purplish, some appear bluish, no black at all.

As a regular TV this is a good unit, but if you plan to use it as a monitor just like I did, please don't! Try find a real monitor, so called TV/monitor are always compromise.

I ended up exchanging it with a Hannspree iF-281D, and lives happily ever after.

4.0 out of 5 stars TechRon, January 30, 2010
TechRon (St. Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Pros: Excellant OTA HD picture using garage attic antenna via splitter. This is a 1080p picture capability (not 720p of most LCD's this size). The 1080p capability is better than being broadcast OTA. You will only see the 1080p quality from an HDMI attached DVD player. The 28" screen is noticeably larger than 26", but fits where a 32" will not. It has good Composite picture from my security cameras. Sound is better than average for internal speakers in an LCD TV. I haven't used the PC input so can't comment on that.

Cons: Picture is 16 x 10 not the standard 16 x 9, so images are slightly stretched vertically. Input switching is slow. Channel changing by number is tedious because you must use the - 1 or 2 to get the correct OTA HD channel (ie 11-1, not 11). Up/down channel goes right to them.

Overall: A good buy at a reasonable price for a quality picture and good reliability (so far).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little TV!, July 3, 2009
I had a 32 720 in my BD and it was a little too big and not that great of a picture. I saw this Hannspree on a shopping channel and it looked like the prefect size for my BD. I just got it a few days ago and I love it! The picture is great as well as the sound. Overall a great TV!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good TV, but has shortfalls, March 2, 2010
Handyman (Coralville, IA USA) - See all my reviews
This TV has an excellent picture quality. The sound is good, but the lowest setting is still very loud. There is no way to title the channels with the channel name. The channels also tend to move on and off of the favorites list by themselves and they un-delete themselves. In addition, when on the favorites list, it does not list them out to choose, but will cycle through the entire list.

The TV is a good value and high quality, just some features are not user friendly and do not operate as I would expect.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›