5.0 out of 5 stars Kick's Disney's butt
What gives? This is a sweet, endearing, lovely story with great animation--so why do so many people dislike it? Heck, after watching this movie, *I* daydreamed about being Thumbelina. Admit it, wouldn't you like it?
Published on August 13, 2000 by E. A Solinas

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Blu ray Video Transfer
Published 14 months ago by Alberth Hansen

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick's Disney's butt, August 13, 2000
This review is from: Thumbelina [VHS] (VHS Tape)
The traditional Hans Christian Anderson story: A woman who wishes for a daughter is blessed with one in a flower--and she's about six inches tall. But this doesn't matter to Mother or her array of barnyard animals, who love Thumbelina dearly. However, soon a handsome fairy prince named Cornelius arrives and is smitten with Thumbelina. After taking her on a ride on his pet bumblebee, he has to leave but promises to come back.
That night, Thumbelina is kidnapped by a family of singing frogs, but as she escapes with the help of a French swallow, she ends up in deeper and deeper trouble.
Some things in this movie are rather cloying--the jitterbugs, for example--but they're too small a part of the movie to be noticeable. Thumbelina is not a macho heroine, so don't expect her to act like one--she's a lost, frightened girl who's been sheltered all of her life. She shows remarkable strength and I got the feeling that the Thumbelina at the end was very different from the girl at the beginning.
Cornelius remains my favorite character. Our first glimpse of the adolescent fairy is after he escapes from a royal parade, where he is forced to sit on *snicker* a white butterfly. He's strong, funny, interesting, lifelike, and... dare I say it?... sexy.
Ten to one your kid will adore this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars overall excellent animated musical, August 5, 2005
Byron Kolln (the corner where Broadway meets Hollywood) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thumbelina (DVD)
Lovely animated musical version of THUMBELINA featuring a fantastic score by Barry Manilow and the well-executed animation style of Don Bluth.

Tiny Thumbelina's peaceful life with her mother is enlivened by her chance encounter with Cornelius, Prince of the Fairies. They quickly fall in love when the thumb-sized waif is kidnapped by overzealous Mrs Toad as a prospective new bride for her oldest son. She escapes only to find herself hoplessly lost in a big big world. Salvation comes in the form of the kindly Mrs Field Mouse who offers Thumbelina a warm home during the bitter frost. However even the Field Mouse expects something in return, so Thumblina is forced to marry her neighbour Mr Mole. At the 11th hour Thumbelina escapes with the help of Jacquimo, a swallow that she saved from death, who reunites her with Prince Cornelius and her mother.

This film features lush animation from Don Bluth. As other reviewers have noted, the woodland scenes and characters are reminiscent of Bluth's masterwork THE SECRET OF NIMH. The human characters are beautifully-drawn.

Jodi Benson, who also voiced Disney's LITTLE MERMAID, is perfect in the role of Thumbelina. Broadway veteran Barbara Cook plays Thumbelina's mother. The other roles are voiced by Carol Channing (Mrs Field Mouse), Charo (Mrs Toad), John Hurt (Mr Mole), Gary Imhoff (Prince Cornelius), Gino Conforti (Jacquimo), June Foray (Queen) and Kenneth Mars (King).

Barry Manilow offers a score of lovely Broadway-styled songs including Thumbelina's soaring ballad "Soon", Mrs Field Mouse's pleading "Marry the Mole", Mrs Toad's rousing showbiz anthem "On the Road" and Jacquimo's inspirational "If You Follow Your Heart".

5.0 out of 5 stars An under-rated Don Bluth production, April 30, 2004
Jakki (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thumbelina (DVD)
I didn't see "Thumbelina" until I was in my 20's, but since I love animation, it didn't make much difference. I love this movie and finally got it on DVD a couple days ago. Jodi Benson did another great job lending her voice to the lead character and the music was great too. The only complaints I have about the movie, to echo other reviewers, is that some of the animals in the farm were very strange looking. Also, I couldn't help but notice that Thumbelina was constantly losing her balance no matter where she was standing. Still, I think Don Bluth did an excellent job on "Thumbelina" and that it deserved much more recognition. I admit, I'm a softy for fairy tales, and I actually love her innocent, naive personality. It was great to see her make the right decision at the end though, even knowing she might be alone. Unlike what some reviewers have said, I think that makes her a great role model. We all have to go through a learning process. But without being silly and over analyzing the film's psychological effect on society, it's just a fun and enjoyable movie that I would recommend for any young girl or adult who's young at heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic musical for children and adults who love musicals!, March 19, 2006
Andrea Leo (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thumbelina (DVD)
My 4 and 6 yr old daughters and I LOVE this movie. It's a little older but it's been released on DVD. Having lost the videotape and missing it I had to get the DVD. The songs are awesome and get stuck in your head. I as an adult can watch it over and over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie for little girls, January 31, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Thumbelina (DVD)
My 3 year old daughter loves this movie! The amimation is very good. Thumbelina's animated movements are quite life-like. Some of the other reviewers just didn't get it - What little girl wouldn't want to dream about getting swept away by a prince. Good movie, great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don Bluth's Thumbelina, January 10, 2007
Mario Perez (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thumbelina (DVD)
I was so delighted to finally obtain the CD version of Thumbelina recently. I bought the VHS back in 1998 for my 4 year old daughter and she loved it. Besides the story, characters, and celebrity voices, it's the music that we still enjoy the most 8 years later. Barry Manilow's music, along with lyrics by Jack Feldman and Bruce Sussman are a gem. Thank you Amazon for rejuvinating my 12 year old daughter and I back to children again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful film, December 9, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Thumbelina (DVD)
I woke up one morning recently with the main love song to this movie ("Let Me Be Your Wings") stuck in my head. I loved this movie as a child, but hadn't seen it in quite a while, so I couldn't remember all the lyrics. I had to look them up online to cure the melody humming constantly in my head. Then one thing led to another, and I had to rent the DVD. I expected it to be pretty childish and boring, and not to like it half as much as I had when I was young. I was wrong.

The movie was just as fantastic as the last time I had watched it. The songs took my breath away, the animation was great, and the ending still made me clap for joy. I can see where people might find this heroine "weak", but she isn't entirely pathetic. She's just lost, and trying to find her way in a huge world. She a lot less helpless than some of those Disney princesses who just sit around waiting for their Prince to rescue them. The only part of this movie that I didn't love was the phony French swallow singing "Follow Your Heart". Good message, terribly cheesy accent. But Thumbelina and her Fairy Prince are lovely. I reccomend this to children as well as older folk... though it will probably be better if you've seen it as a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars reviewer, March 16, 2005
This review is from: Thumbelina (DVD)
i loved this movie. it is perfect. i recomend this movie for every one who likes a movie about a girl being swept off her feet and having trouble getting back to her prince. you have to see this movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Blu ray Video Transfer, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Thumbelina [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Although most of the people review the movie, the characters , the story-line. I felt compelled to help some people by deciding if the blu ray version of this movie is right for them. Let start by saying that I collect all of Don Bluth animated classics, but whatever opinion you have about the movie itself, I respect. Not everyone can be pleased by the story-line selected by a director on any of old times classic tales. But as a collector that buys the blu blu ray versions of such tales, I expect that at least some special restoration is done in the video transfer to be worth the upgrade. Well that restoration is non existent in any of the Don Bluth movies. The only movie that is an exception is Anastasia. Other than that, they all deserve ONE STAR for video restoration.

All Dogs go to heaven: 1 STAR
All Dogs go to heaven 2: 0 STARS (if Possible)
The secret of Nimh: 1 STAR
Thumbelina: 1 STAR
Fergully: 2 STARS
The pebble and the Pinguin: 1 STAR
Anastasia: 5 STARS

If you can buy any of these blu rays for less the $5.00, Go for it. Otherwise the DVD version will do just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Disney, March 31, 2002
This review is from: Thumbelina [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I just rented this movie this weekend and watched it with my six year old daughter. The story line is not so predictable like Disney ones are, and there are a lot of twists and turns in the plot. I don't like the fact that this is again another "My Prince Will Come, and we'll live Happily Ever After" story like all the others, but at least there is MORE to this story than that.
It shows that males can lie and cheat to get a girl...and that sometimes you have to look out for yourself and don't believe everything you hear. So based on that I give it 5 stars...plus the singing is great, and so is the animation. This movie is not cheesy like some others you may find for kids. Definitely get this movie, it is more than worth it.

Hans Christian Andersen's Thumbelina
Hans Christian Andersen's Thumbelina by Gary Goldman (DVD - 2004)
$9.98 $7.50