3,663 Reviews
 (1,194)
 (1,099)

Published 23 months ago by Kyria Akerlind

Published on January 26, 2013 by Ace Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars You might feel guilty enjoying this.....but don't let that stop you!, February 20, 2013
Let's start off by clearing the air a little bit: if you are looking for the next best picture nod and/or the next great fantasy epic, this is not it (and, quite frankly, I'm curious as to why you thought this one WOULD be it). If, however, you can enjoy movies without deep character development or scenes of life-changing consequence, then this is a movie that I highly recommend. I can unequivocally state that this movie did not make me re-evaluate my life, nor did I shed a single tear over, well, anything in this movie due to its emotional narrative...but it was so much fun! I'm someone who can watch best picture movies that stretch your brain and emotions and enjoy them intensely - I am also someone who can fall in love with a movie simply designed to entertain, and, well, I fell in love with this one. I felt that each character was played correctly and hit the tones they were supposed to. There was plenty of action and - contrary to popular opinion - there WAS a plot. I went to the movies expecting to see a flick that would entertain me and I got exactly what I paid for - in fact, it was one of the most satisfying movies I'd ever watched simply for what I was expecting and what I got out of it. Also, for an R-rated movie, there was a lot less stuff than I was expecting. I mean, there IS stuff in it - it is R-rated, for heaven's sake - but it was a lot better than I'd thought, which was great. I can only think of one or two things story-wise that irked me to the point where I wanted someone to have corrected them, but I'll leave them for you to figure out :) I gave it 5 stars not because it was a perfectly made movie, but because I wanted to see it again after watching it...and I don't always feel that way about movies that ARE flawlessly made. Rent the movie if you don't trust me enough to see it in theaters, but I think you'll find it an enjoyable 1 1/2 hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hansel & Gretel all grown up, January 26, 2013
Monkdude (Hampton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters is like a bloody and F-Bomb filled version of Van Helsing. In this case, that is a good thing. Van Helsing was pretty bad, but they pushed this one far enough with the R rating to please the horror fan inside me. The witches look nice and creepy and most of the CGI is well done. Jeremy Renner (Hansel) is a fantastic actor, though he is mostly wasted here and Gemma Arterton (Gretel) is more of the focus based on her looks and her character's personality. Famke Janssen has fun with the lead evil witch role. This film barely runs 90 minutes and it is light on story and high on action, but I had a good time watching it. Worth a future rental if you don't mind turning your brain off and just enjoy the fact that it is not as bad as you feared it would be.

Oh, the IMAX 3-D was better done than most non-blockbuster type action films.

Edit (7/6/13): I had to knock it up a star after watching the Unrated Cut. Still a very fun movie upon second viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like steak but can enjoy a burger on occasion ... this might be for you, June 1, 2013
Was surprised by how much I liked it ... particularly considering all the negative reviews this movie has been hit with.

Thing is, I don't EXPECT much when starting to watch a film called HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS; no eloquent writing, no intense plot, and certainly not a whole lot of character development. Nope. I would expect action, CGI (perhaps some cheesy CGI), larger-than-life characters, and a plot that might occasionally make me laugh with what it expects its audience to believe. When I go to Burger King, I don't expect a steak.

And THAT is what I got! Much like 'Van Helsing' (which I also sort of liked, sorry), this film is a lot of craziness, dramatic acting, overblown violence/gore ... and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Hansel & Gretel, since successfully burning the witch who was going to eat them as children, have in the years since become professional witch hunters who routinely eradicate villages of their local hags ... for a price. They meet their match, however, when paid to help a village - most of the residents of which hate them for, they feel, drawing witches and death to their village in the first place - and instead come across one powerful grand-witch (Famke Janssen) with plans of her own for the brother/sister pair. Lots of blood, cool weaponry, dismemberment, sarcastic remarks, and both awesome and lame CGI makes for a goulash of insanity that - yeah - I still liked a lot.

The film in NO WAY takes itself seriously; do yourself a favor and approach it the same way. It's popcorn for the mind, and pretends to be nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hansel and Gretel the after math!, January 28, 2013
My grandfather and I saw this film Saturday night. I knew I would enjoyed it but I really loved it! I loved the story line that after Hansel and Gretel encountered their first witch as children they make it their holy mission to be witch hunters. And there was a twist with Hansel and Gretels mom. I also thought they picked great actors for the movie and Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton were of course the ones that shined. I was surprised critics hated this movie but don't go by what they said, if you like magical twists on fairytales go see it. I will warn you that this is not a movie for children. The witches were very frightening and they made me jump. And there's a lot of cursing and violence so it's not for the little ones. I hope you enjoy it like I did. This film I felt kicked Snow White and the Huntsmans butt by far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gory "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" Not for Children or the Squeamish!, January 26, 2013
Ready for a witch punching good time!? Then this action-packed film is for you. Parent's should BEWARE! This film is rated (R) for a reason. It's a bloody, violent, gore-fest with many F-Bombs throughout it's entirety. For adult's this is fine if you don't mind swearing and all of the above. There is also several brief scenes of female nudity, back and front view. This film is a twisted spin on the well known fairy-tale Hansel & Gretel by Han Christian Anderson. Only this time the kids are grown up and know how to use guns, battle axe's, and way cool crossbows that can turn, point and shoot in two different directions. (I want one!)

Witches are stealing children from the local community and the towns people are in a panic. They want their kids back. Hansel & Gretel are skilled bounty hunters who specialize in hunting and killing witches. The towns mayor hires them to find the missing children because it's suspected local evil witches must have kidnapped them for evil purposes. Hansel & Gretel are very good at their job and enjoy it. These siblings are feisty and tough having no trouble kicking a witches broom out from under her. They soon discover the children have been stolen for an impending blood moon sacrifice. They must save the children before it's too late.

This witchy wild ride is filled to the brim with excellent (CGI) special effects. At times this film is choppy. It doesn't flow as well as it should. Even so, Director Tommy Wirkola has banged out a fun and crazy popcorn munching good time with entertaining solid acting from all of his talented actors. Jeremy Renner (who played Hawkeye in "The Avengers"), leads this cast as the daring Hansel. English actress Gemma Arterton (who played Princess Tamina in "The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time"), is his aggressive sister Gretel, and Dutch actress Famke Janssen (who played Liam Neeson's wife Lenore in Taken 1 & 2), is the evil leader of the witches who you can see relishes playing her part as Muriel. This films score is composed by Corey Allen Jackson.

I enjoyed this film, but it's a one time view for me. This is not my kind of film. It may be yours. Recommended with reservations. Enjoy!

Release Date: 25 January 2013
Running Time: 88 minutes
Rated: R for strong fantasy horror violence and gore, brief sexuality/nudity and language.
American-German action-horror dark fantasy with black comedy elements.
Grade: C+

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome movie!!, February 23, 2013
Some might call this movie ridiculous, while others will say they hate this movie. I however will take a different approach and say this movie IS A Really good movie!!! It reminds me of why I still like the movie Zombieland to this day; not because its an oscar worthy film or the storyline is the best there is, but because this movie is a hell of a lot of fun!! I was a bit suprised going in to the movie that it was rated R but if you get the opportunity to see the film you will understand why. This is not just a fairy tale anymore. Gemma Arterton was great (and very Beautiful i might add) as Gretel although i personally really enjoyed the take on Jeremy Renner's character Hansel. Storyline wise it is actually really enjoyable and the action is over the top. If you want to have a good time and are not expecting to watch A (oscar nominated movie), then look no further than Hansel And Gretel Witch Hunters

5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad take on this fairy tale, May 27, 2013
Imagine Blade meets Van Helsing and you've pretty much got Hansel and Gretel. The witch fighting and gadgets used is very much in the style of the latter whilst the fight sequences (ninja witches) is in the style of Blade. It is a good action film with plenty of action and still remaining loosely linked to the fairy tale.
The story isn't that deep beyond that so don't expect a film that will leave you thinking after it ends but sometimes a good beat em up film is what you want every now and then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hansel and Gretel Lifepath, January 28, 2013
The film "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" centers around the close knit duo of Hansel (played effortlessly by Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (played in an incredible way by Gemma Arterton). Both Hansel and Gretel are pretty much forced into a life of being witch hunters after they dare to eat from a secluded candy house in the forest. I enjoyed the fact that Hansel and Gretel were created as characters of a brother and sister who stand by each other through good and challenging times. Hansel and Gretel's character evolutions are indirectly shaped (in different ways) by a discreet white witch named Mina (played in a heartfelt way by Pihla Viitala) and a troll named Edward (played naturally by Derek Mears). In all fairness, Famke Janssen also played her witch character in a convincing fashion and in a way that also helped strengthen the tight bond that Hansel and Gretel have. "Hansel and Gretel" is fine for those who are ok with watching films that mash fantasy and dark comedy in the plots.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as goofy as it appears, June 12, 2013
This film was a surprise in that it was far better than I expected it to be. The initial purpose in purchasing it was that it appeared silly, there are times when well done foolishness is just what you want.
The spin on witches was excellently conceived, there was an great detail given to provide something creepy and new. They succeeded impressively.
Where it falls is in the atavism. Certain amounts are fine, as in the beginning when they were putting pictures of missing children tied to milk bottles. It is when they break out of their own rules that it becomes a problem.
Hansel and Gretel are equipped with not only automatic weapons but a taser. Everyone else in this environment is reduced to the standard medieval peasant weaponry of pitchforks and torches along with basic ball and powder guns (with the exception of the "Sheriff" who carries a six shooter).
Some of the plot points are cliche and painfully obvious but thankfully they do not factor largely into the overall development. Along these lines, though, are the reasons why I was pleasantly surprised by "Hansel and Gretel".
While trying to avoid spoilers I will say that as you're sitting there thinking, "Okay, this is going to happen", the opposite develops.
At points I was reminded slightly of Terry Gilliam; the dark use of strange subject matter. If this sort film is not to your taste than avoid it.
If, however, you are intrigued by the bizarre it is worth at least one viewing. Just realize that you are dealing with Hansel and Gretel, a certain amount of credulity is required. Once you get past the ridiculous nature of the subject matter it is quite enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hansel & Gretel Looks Cool, But the Witch Hunters Need a Better Story, July 25, 2013
Tsuyoshi (Kyoto, Japan) - See all my reviews
"Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" is based on one concept that you will find either interesting or silly. That is, Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton), now grown up, make a living as witch hunters in some alternate medieval universe, where Famke Janssen is a big bad witch planning to do something very evil.

Because of the film's thin plotline, we are not allowed to know who these siblings are or what they really want to do. Hansel and Gretel are determined to eliminate all the witches because, well, those witches are bad, aren't they? Peter Stormare, typecast as always, is a corrupt sheriff.

With this setting and casting, "Hansel & Gretel" is meant to be (campy) fun, which it is not, because of the heavy-handed direction from Tommy Wirkola. Here is a great material for fun movie, but, like in his "Dead Snow," a Norwegian horror comedy about undead German soldiers, the director fails to fully develop the potential of the film.

What we get here is so-so action sequences that are enjoyable and forgettable. The leading players Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton look fine, but they deserve a much better story.