Most helpful critical review
13 of 13 people found the following review helpful
My first Hape disappointment
on June 8, 2014
We have loved other Hape toys and thought that this tool box would be a great choice for our little one. Unfortunately, despite the beautiful quality of the materials, the design leaves a lot to be desired.
- great wood, absolutely smooth with flawless paint
- nontoxic paint
- perfect size for little hands
- there are screws, but nothing to screw them into. The nuts and bolts do screw together of course, but with no threaded holes in any of the wooden pieces there is basically no use for the screwdriver. Ours has never been used.
- there are only 2 nails. They take about 5 seconds for my toddler to hammer in and then she wants help prying them out again (she tries to pry them herself, but the plastic hammer claw on the plastic nail is slippery and she gets impatient). She also asks for more nails "so that she can build something."
- unless your toddler is coordinated/interested enough to hold a wrench supporting a nut in one hand and screw the bolt in with the other hand (by hand or with the screwdriver), the wrench is basically useless. My kiddo just used one hand to hold the nut while she screwed the bolt in with the other - the wrench has never been used.
Overall I regret the purchase and would not recommend it. We found it to be a hard toy to have fun with, which was disappointing as I have fond memories of playing with my own Fisher Price wooden tool bench from way back when. My child has a great imagination, but she took this tool bench pretty seriously and wanted to actually use tools, not just pantomime it.