Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on July 22, 2011
I just finished reading this book on my Kindle and loved it. It had me laughing out loud, in fact my wife kept looking at me like I had lost my mind! She will read it next, than I can throw barbs at her. This book was funny, sarcastic, insightful and just downright a pleasure to read. Her style of writing is light and fun, but also very insightful into what her daily life is like living in Costa Rica. I can't wait to read her next book about her continuing adventures in this exotic land. I highly recommend this book !!
66 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2012
This was nice easy vacation reading. Very light weight and entertaining.
I recommend it to anyone who can see humour in every day things.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2012
I read this book after seeing an interview online (one of the many interviews that the author has given about her experience).

I absolutely loved this book; the author certainly doesn't sugar coat her experience: yes, there are lots of potholes in the roads, and some American products are expensive (like Windex), but she also shows us that anyone with a small passive income can do this-- move away to a tropical paradise and live a very different life.

My husband and I have been researching our own move for months, and we've already planned our first trip for Decemeber. Thanks Nadine! You gave us hope that we can really do this!
on November 25, 2012
My fiance purchased this book when we decided we were going to retire to Costa Rica. We found this book not only informative for negotiating in a new country, but hilarious and witty, with a quirky humor. It shares how one couple changed their lives 180 degrees and how life does not have to be filled with things and possessions, but true beauty, relationship, and recognizing what matters in this world. You'll be rolling on the floor laughing and at the same time, taking away with you a worthwhile message.
on January 22, 2014
Hi Nadine. I just wanted to take this opportunity to write to you. My wife and I Annamaria have finally decided to take the plunge and we are making a move to Costa Rica full time. Since we read your book, it has inspired us to take a chance and live life! We are starting a new real estate property management company. It took us 3 years to prepare but we always kept your guts and your adventure in mind and inspired us to JUST DO IT! Thanks again!!
on June 9, 2012
thankfully the negative reviews are very, very much in the minority. some are down right negative people, others overly analytical to good grammar and miss the point...sad. I loved this book, so did my wife, and all the 5 stars reviews here rolled up into one say it all for me. And we travel, live in Costa Rica, Tamarindo, so we could truly relate to much of her story. Highly Recommend...Rob
[...]
on June 3, 2015
I Enjoyed this book. I will admit that when I finished it, I had mixed emotions. I felt a bit short-changed on facts, but I laughed and enjoyed the stories so much that I just make myself the book. Then I thought about all of other fact-heavy books I've read, and decided instead to purchase her 2nd book. Do the same. It has more "how to" than the 1 st did. But thankfully, she kept her wonderful, humorous style to keep the reader engaged.
Another impotent point - thru the series you can the author is smoothing life in Costa Rica. I love that she is honest about the negatives, but reminds you to focus on the positive experiences. I've read too many books that try to gloss over the realities and just sell beaches and monkeys. While I hope the yoga on the beaches, monkeys, sloths and birds will be worth it for me. But The more information I get about what to REALLY expect if I jump greatly improves my chance for success!
Continue the journey - get the sequel and the Escape Manual. I did and am glad.
on October 17, 2011
I enjoyed most of the stories in the book and the author does a great job at the buildup to the move. She makes Costa Rica sound like a wonderful place and details her transition from wigged out city dweller to laid back jungle cat with humor, both at her own expense as well as her husband's. The first half of the book is much stronger than the second half, and some of the vignettes seem like they came directly from a first draft rather than getting the polish they need.

Sadly, the usage errors in the text (prospective vs. perspective, taught vs. taut, etc) were a big distraction for this reader. It's too bad the book didn't get more editorial attention -- it really deserves a good couple of rounds with the red pen. And by deserves, I mean that in the nicest way. I have spent money on flawless books that weren't nearly as good (or funny) as this one was. A star and a half deducted for the errors.
1313 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2016
I too am moving to Costa Rica to my house. I laughed throughout this book, as (I could have written it) Nadine experience was 100% ‘SPOT ON !!!’.She is so funny -- So, if you have been to Costa Rica, and might be planning on moving there --- this is the book you should get. I have just started on the the .Sequel’ to continue the adventure. I know she has a set of 4 - which I immediately purchased, This book really should be required reading when going.
on December 26, 2015
This book is hilarious! Similar to another reviewer, I was sitting on the couch laughing like a maniac and my husband was looking at me like I had lost my mind. I can't remember the last time I read something that made me laugh so much. The story of their move, the tribulations, and the beauty all made for a great tale and I intend to reading the sequel. I like to read about Costa Rica and hope to visit some day. This has given me more realistic expectations (and a few more bug-related fears), but has me even more excited to visit!