Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Happily Never After (Night Huntress)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 24, 2011
Set in the world of her Night Huntress series, this story was originally published in the Weddings from Hell anthology (this review is reincarnated and slightly revamped from my review of that book).

Happily Never After is not a Cat and Bones short, although it has several brief pop-ins by Bones, but do not let that stop you. The hero, vampire Chance, is one of Bone's compadres, and is an almost as luscious. As a favor to his sire Bones, Chance steps in to save the lovely Isabella from a coerced marriage to a would-be B-movie type mafia boss and Chance finds himself attracted to her with an intensity he's never felt before in his very long life. Isabella and Chance are every bit as good as Bones and Cat, Frost does great heroes and competent intelligent heroines well. This was fun addition to the Night Huntress world, but I did have one nit - trying to pull Bones into the story felt forced and a bit hokey to me - I think that Chance could have managed nicely on his own.
on August 26, 2011
As most of you know today is the release of the much anticipated One Grave at a Time, the sixth book in The Night Huntress series. In fact if you're reading this review after 9AM on August 30,2011. I have most likely already drug my children to the store, am back home, and reading my copy. Now if you are one of the few that does not know the awesomeness that is Jeaniene Frost, Happily Never After is a great please to start.

Even though this novella is set between the first and second books in the Night Huntress series, Happily Never After has it's own set of characters, so you don't feel like you're starting out of place. Isa is a strong female lead, who is going along with an engagement (that she wants nothing to do with) to save her brother. Then there is Chance... Hmmm Chance. He's a hot vampire sired by Bones! Do you really need another reason to read this?

The chemistry between Isa and Chance is just what you want in a paranormal romance. Or it was what I wanted because I loved them. With only 42 pages of story I always fear going into novellas that I'll feel rushed as I'm reading, but I'm happy to say that's not the case with Happily Never After. Bonus it's only 1.99 and for you newbies there are excerpts to the first and second book in the Night Huntress series at the end.

Happy Reading,

Rebecca
on August 25, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this story right up to the last 2 or 3 chapters. Up to that point, it seemed just as well written as her other works. Then, it just seemed to stop. It felt as though the author ran out of story, or wasn't sure how to resolve it and just tacked an ending on it and called it good. I was very surprised because I've enjoyed so much everything else I've read of hers. This story didn't seem finished and would have made a better full length novel with a little more resolution.
on January 29, 2015
I actually read this a while back but didn't remember the name or people's names and it was free so I read it again. I almost wish it had been a full book. I loved Chance and the between the two of them
Oh and Bones makes a few short appearances too. This book was just too short but it was also very good. Well written as her others are of course and I hope there will be more in the whole Bones and Cat world.
on March 24, 2016
I was happy to read another Frost novel. They slowly make it to the shelves. But, I understand creative that a novel's and pray that Jeaniene will continue her writing on a faster pace . . . Sorry I can't get enough of your novels. This novel was great I like Chance and think he could be a good character for other books. But, I do miss Cat and Bones and there twisted humor, sorry I am a fan for many years. Please keep the novels coming. I try to check in every year or so to see if you have written any think new. . . Loyal fan.
on April 27, 2014
My Initial Reaction...
Happily Never After was a fun, quick read that gave me a bit of the Night Huntress world, without focusing at all on Cat and Bones. I enjoyed it and hope I get to see some of these characters more!

The Good...
I really loved the characters in Happily Never After. They're decently well developed for a short and have fun personalities. Greta was my favorite character - she's Isabella's grandmother and an OLD friend of Bones. She calls on him for some help for her grandchildren and gets everything set in motion. She's spunky and still got a lot of life in her.

Isabella was also a solid character - she clearly isn't a weakling - she's playing with the mob and even though she's scared, she's holding her own. And Chance is a vampire very like Bones - not vicious, protector of the innocent, etc. I would really like to see more of him in future Night Huntress books. I really hope these stories overlap with the main story line at some point.

The Bad...
This got dangerously close to insta-love for me. I think Jeaniene got around it by having Isabella be hesitant around Chance at first and Chance just being more enlightened about what he's feeling because he's lived so long. But it still felt insta-lovey. Thankfully they weren't actually promising themselves to each other or anything by the end, so maybe it's just insta-lust with lots of hinting at love. The lust was pretty nice though ;)

I also found the conflict a bit lacking. The mob boss we're dealing with is a joke - not just to Chance, but to other mobsters. I suppose it might have been meant to make the story humorous, but I just felt like it made them a non-obstacle. So I was never anxious or worried.

Concluding Sentiments...
Although not an amazing short story, Happily Never After was a lot of fun to read and introduced some characters I really hope to see more of in the Night Huntress books. And it has me itching to get back to the novels now, so I guess it also did it's job!

This book may be unsuitable for people under 17 years of age due to its use of sexual content, drug and alcohol use, and/or violence.
on August 31, 2014
This was a fun little side story set in the Night Huntress world, the timing of it takes place during the time between books 1 & 2 while Bones is on the search for Cat. So there’s no Cat in the book but Bones does make 2 quick appearances at the beginning and end and of course any scene he’s in is a good one in my opinion! As much as I would have loved more Bones in this book, if we couldn’t have that I can safely say that Chance was a fine runner-up! Chance had been sired by Bones and the two were pals so of course Chance agreed to come and help stop Isa’s wedding to the local mob boss and find another way to save her brother. This was a quick story but it still felt well developed and as with the other books in this series it was action packed and a lot of fun. Chance was a riot, he had a great personality and it was priceless when he kept reappearing after the mobsters thought they had killed him. Their reactions were so funny and I loved how he liked playing with them like that. You can tell he’s learned a trick or two from Bones over the years! Isa was also a great character, I loved how she assumed Chance was a magician. Isa’s grandmother was also great and I loved the little bit of history we got about her and Bones. This was a very enjoyable quick read and I would love if Chance and Isa showed up in future installments of the Night Huntress series!
Although this isn't a Cat and Bones book, it does briefly include them in the story. Isabella, or Isa as she likes to be called is planning a wedding to a man she doesn't want to marry, but feels obligated to because of his dangerous personality. Chance, a good friend of Bones' comes to the rescue as a favor to Bones.

Believe me when I say, if you like Bones, then you'll love Chance too, but no one can replace Bones in my heart. He's a steamy and sexy character, that will capture the heart of Isa just when she needs saving.

This is yet another great read by Jeaniene Frost, that everyone must read. It's short and sweet, packed with sexy vampires and exciting action. This book is definitely worth a rating of 5/5.
on January 24, 2014
I love Jeaniene's Night Huntress world and reading a novella set in it, even with different characters, is still amazing!

Isabella is one tough chick! She's in a helluva situation where she literally has to marry this prick of a dude! Robert is a mobster and like any jerky guy he wants what he can't have and since Isa has turned him down for a date more than once, he has now proposed to marry her by handing her the ring and saying if you don't I'll kill your brother. And since Isa hasn't heard from her brother in quite some time she has no choice but to believe him.

But her grandmother has connections that she doesn't know about, plus a mysterious past to boot. When Greta talks to Bones, he gets his friend Chance to repay a favor while he continues to look for a certain guy (hint-hint: Halfway to the Grave). Chance finds Isa pretty quickly and watches over her while trying to find her brother.

It was a pretty good story, took me longer to read it since I ran some errands today, but it was awesome--even with Bones appearing only twice. I enjoyed getting to know Chance and Isa was a great heroine. She's strong in her own way with doing what has to be done to save her brother. There's some funny moments too in her ways of keeping Robert at bay. She's such a great liar too!

Since it's a novella, it's hard to review without giving too much away, but it was a quick read and a fun one too! I recommend it to all fans of the Night Huntress series. Getting to know other characters was great! Although I can't recall if Chance and Isa popped up in one of the books or not. Oh well!
on June 30, 2014
Isabella has been blackmailed into marrying a mob boss after her little brother goes missing. Her grandmother just happens to have some connections and calls in a favor to help get her granddaughter out of trouble. Chase, a vampire, is the cavalry sent to stop the wedding and find Isabella's brother. Upon meeting Isabella, Chase immediately decides to prolong the job in order to get closer to her.

Happily Never After was pretty boring. This was primarily due to Chase and the vast difference between him and the humans he's pitted against. Chase is the only vampire in the story and no one knows they even exist (except for the grandmother), which led to Chase having the upper-hand in every confrontation. So, the bad guys were never made out to be any real danger. This made the action scenes extremely boring because Chase would just waltzed in and out of them whenever he felt like it. In fact, Chase came off as a bit of a jerk. He lets Isabella worry about the mobsters for quite a while just because he couldn't come up with another excuse to hang around her. This is one story I would recommend only to die-hard fans of Frost's.