5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and dark, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Happily Neverafter (Petit Morts Book 11) (Kindle Edition)
I love these series, so of course I bought the last batch of the stories right away. This story was a lot of fun and I was especially impressed by JCP note at the end about research. I know, I know it should be a given in every story that settings, be it contemporal or historical are well researched (or well build if it is a fantasy world), it is unfortunately not, so I get ridiculously pleased every time when author actually does her homework. As to the story itself, beginning of the love story was sweet, but diving into Chance's past and origins (hinted, but not fully explained yet) made the atmosphere quite dark. I loved it though. I wanted to prolong the pleasure and not read all the stories right away, but I doubt I can be that strong :)

5.0 out of 5 stars All Good Things Come to an End, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Happily Neverafter (Petit Morts Book 11) (Kindle Edition)
Approaching the final 7 PETIT MORTS is a bittersweet experience for me. I've loved every entry in this magical series, created and nurtured by one of my favorite authors, Jordan Castillo Price, with contributions by such notable voices as Josh Lanyon, Sean Kennedy, and now Clare London. Like fine chocolates, I simply can't get enough of these charming, whimsical stories. The concept is brilliant: 17 stand-alone tales of m/m love and romance, written by multiple authors, that each share a common element---a handsome and enigmatic chocolatier named Chance who weaves the threads of fate around the stories' protagonists, drawing them together to find true love.

The final volume of PETIT MORTS does not disappoint. In fact, it starts out with a considerable bang. HAPPILY NEVERAFTER, written by JCP herself, gives fans of this series something we've longed for from the beginning, a better understanding of Chance. Set against a backdrop of the political and economic upheaval in present-day Greece, Chance works his usual magic, orchestrating an "accident" that brings together Milo, a tough but sensitive Hellenic policeman sent in to quell the rioting crowds, and Dave, a heart-broken American tourist on his first trip to Greece, a trip that he'd planned to take with the lover who jilted him. What made this story different from those that preceded it are the insights we're given into Chance's dark origins, something we've only seen glimpses of prior to HAPPILY NEVERAFTER. As Chance spins his web around Milo and Dave, he comes face-to-face with the ghosts of his own past---his ex-lover, Hunter, and the equally mysterious Cora. Enough said; I won't include any spoilers here. What I will say, however, is that this story was well-crafted and sublimely well-written---as with all of JCP's work. Simply put, she has a way with words: there were passages that literally gave me chills. Buy it now and read it for yourself, but don't stop there ... read the whole series!

4.0 out of 5 stars More about Chance in this Petit Morts novella, August 23, 2012
T. Gray (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happily Neverafter (Petit Morts Book 11) (Kindle Edition)
#11 in the Petit Morts short novella series. For those looking for more about Chance, here's the start of that. There is some dollops of info dropped, although as usual, it's still all very enigmatic. Along with that, you get a second related story of a closeted Greek police officer and an American tourist who finds himself on the wrong end of a riot. All the PM stories have been good reads, this one included, but it left me a little cold. I think the story of "The One" couldn't totally melt the chill of Chance's tense aloofness as he faced some figures from his past. But also as usual, JCP leaves you wanting more, since you want to now find out where all that tension came from. On to PM #12, London Eye...

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, July 2, 2012
This review is from: Happily Neverafter (Petit Morts Book 11) (Kindle Edition)
Parts of the beginning of this story read as a newspaper article. It's awesome when authors take a risk with a different setting and Greece in times of trouble and riot is an interesting choice.

We finally get to know more about Chance and some of his "colleagues". In the previous installment we had a glimpse of Chance's nature? purpose? We are not told everything, but we begin to unravel a bit of his mistery.

The romantic story was not easy to follow, because the author plays with the timeline, but it made the story more dynamic.

Happily Neverafter (Petit Morts Book 11)
$2.99