Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 12, 2006
A friend of mine asked me to recommend a book to help her cope with her cancer diagnosis. She had searched here on Amazon for "breast cancer" and gotten more than 2,000 results. "How do I know which one is right for me?" she asked. I told her the answer was easy: get this book, "Happiness in Storm." Dr. Harpham is not just a physician who has experienced her own cancer, although she is that. She is a mother, a wife, and a survivor of repeated recurrences and remissions of chronic lymphoma. Throughout her 7-year journey, Dr. Harpham --- Wendy to her readers --- has shown herself to be a profound observer and participant in the process of finding and nurturing hope and joy, even as she researches treatment options and restructures her life to eliminate obstacles to healing. Many survivors tell their stories forcefully and eloquently, and Wendy excels in this, but what sets "Happiness" apart is that Wendy speaks directly to the Big Question that all of us face as we embark on life after cancer diagnosis, during treatment, and beyond: "What is the best way for me to live now?" Each of us will arrive at our own answers, but Wendy offers herself as a skilled guide, helping us apply to our own lives her philosophy, forged in the trenches, which stresses personal choice, positive actions, and reality-based hope. I laughed and I cried as I read this book, and I experienced profound relief to find a physician who clearly draws the lines between what we can and can't control, and a survivor who took me by the hand and showed me how happiness can flower amidst it all. Wendy taught me how to create hope in my own life -- that's the finest gift I could give anyone.
on October 20, 2005
Many patients after a cancer diagnosis are often reluctant to read about the subject. However if one were to read 1 book only, this is the book to read. Despite being a little long, there is much to be learned from it. Dr Harpham has a three pronged approach --- knowledge, hope and action. As a survivor, she knows about disappointments and recurrances. Yet she also knows about the joy of being alive after receiving cutting edge treatment. Her many metaphores are useful in getting her message across, and throughout the book she interweaves her personal experiences, lending credibility to what she has to say. While Dr. Harpham had to give up her medical practice out of necessity, as a writer she administers to a wider patient base. Being a librarian in an oncology library geared to the layperson, I consider this a must read.
on November 15, 2005
Books can make a difference, and this one definitely does! I've already bought multiple copies to share with friends and family facing various illnesses--and they're all telling me it works! I've seen how Dr. Harpham's book gives people hope and helps them find their own best path to healing.
on February 6, 2006
I use "Happiness in a Storm" as a wonderful reference book for dealing with the myriad difficulties that arise with a cancer diagnosis. My husband was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia years ago and with head and neck cancer more recently. I keep Wendy Harpham's book next to our bed, and when we're feeling especially anxious or sad, I flip through it and always find something that helps us feel better about our situation and a little more in control. I appreciate the combination of practical advice--such as how to get the most out of your relationship with doctors--as well as the more spiritual aspects of dealing with a serious illness.

Chris, Berkeley, California
on January 27, 2006
After battling chronic Hodgkins' Lymphoma for the past 6 years I figured I'd be through with issues of grief, loss, anger, inadequacy and flinching everytime someone innocently asks 'How are you?'--Dr. Harpham's chapters about emotions and taking action along with clear, how-to information helped me to realize that the cancer journey is an on-going process, my feelings are normal and that I can work through my issues and find hope and happiness too. The information in this book will likely never be outdated and it is one that I'll continuously reach for in my home library. Thank you Dr. Harpham!
on March 15, 2007
Written by a physician, herself a healthy cancer survivor, it is both informatonal & inspiring. I read it myself, then passed it along to a new friend who's in the same boat.

It's not easy to live with a devastating illness & even harder when it returns, time & time again. It's a never-ending battle that can knock you down but, with luck, good medical care, & the right attitude, you can turn your battle in to a positive experience.

A 'Healthy Survivor' is not just someone who has battled, or is battling a life-threatening diesease, it's a person who continues to enjoy life while doing that. It's a good goal.
on November 13, 2005
I turned to the section in Dr. Harpham's book on "Using Your Emotions" first. I found that section redirected my thinking into a positive hopeful outlook. What a wonderful book! I believe this will be like my Bible. I will read and reread chapters.
on December 28, 2013
The book was good as new. This book was also published with hard cover and attached cover, in larger margin. But I prefer this book because it light and easy to carry. The paper color is a little darker than the other, but it's fine for me.
The book content includes advise for patients and patients' acquaintances. Parts are clearly separated, easy to track back when needed. The author, who is a physician and a cancer-survivor herself, knows what she is talking about.
Sometimes (rarely) the book explains a lot about emotion control or stray from illness-handling topic.
The book includes familiar analogies to daily situation so it's very easy to relate to readers and to patients, even if the readers are not going through those trial and hardness patients have to face.
This book is very inspiring.
on November 8, 2006
Wendy Harpham's perspective is invaluable in learning to get the most out of life when living with chronic health problems. Her book has become a coffee table reference for me. A survivor of repeated recurrences of lymphoma, Wendy writes with strong conviction that it is possible to actually enjoy life while living through illness. Her book addresses practical issues, as well, such as how to assemble an effective team of medical support.
on June 25, 2010
Dr. Wendy Schlessal Harpham writes books that really make sense and are so helpful to people fighting cancer. Since she is a physician and also a cancer survivor her writing is informative and also right on. I first read her previous book Diagonsis: Cancer when i was fighting ovarian cancer 12 years ago. It truly helped me to put things in perspective. After reading her book I was able to relax armed with info that helped me to heal. I found Happiness in a Storm online when a friend was battling cancer. I have since ordered 5 copies and passed them out to numerous people battling this disease. Happiness in a Storm helps the reader arm themselves with positive ideas of how to live one's life normally and not give in to the fear that accompanies a cancer diagnosis. Luckily Dr. Harpham lives her life optimistically but also realistically. She teaches others thru this book to find the balance that one needs to battle while trying to live one's life and appreciate the good parts of life.