Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Imagine forum

Happy 70th Birthday John Lennon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2010 12:24:19 AM PDT
Just wanted to pipe in and say I miss him and I can't believe in a couple months it will be 30 years since he was taken from us. Give Peace a Chance people.

I will pick up his Double Fantasy Stripped Down today (Oct 9) in honor of his b-day. Anyone else have it and do you like it?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 4:40:50 PM PDT
It's strange how I feel about Lennon's murder - it was one of the saddest days of my life, yet I'd never met the man. In the preceding months, I'd heard about Double Fantasy, and Starting Over and Watching the Wheels were on the radio, and it was so comforting to hear his voice singing new songs, and they were beautiful ones, too. Right away, I chuckled at his delivery on Starting Over because it was a parody of Orbison, Elvis, Buddy Holly, etc., and I felt bad about that because I shouldn't be making fun of a musician I've loved since childhood, yet in an interview I'd heard later on, he said he was laughing to himself as he was singing it because of the Orbison/Elvis/Holly thing. Not only did I not feel bad, but I felt as if I was in on a private joke right from the start. Good going, John. The tune of Starting Over sounded familiar, and I came to the conclusion that he must have heard the Beach Boys' "Don't Worry Baby" about 10 minutes before he wrote his tune, the chorus is note-for-note the exact same thing. While Brian Wilson was going insane, John nicked the chords and came out with his own record, "scored one on yer, I did".

My sadness about the murder was there was to be no more comforting soothing voice, no private jokes I understood without knowing why, no phoenix rising up from behind to knock the mostly terrible Journey and AC DC off the charts...no...I watch the Anthology and always imagine John sitting in with Paul, George and Ringo, how he would've looked, how mellowed out he would have been recollecting the madness of the days of the Beatles, as even George eventually developed a sense of humor about it all. That sucks, too - nothing left but imagining. The worst expression I've ever heard in life has to be "would have been...."

SO - ANYWAY - back to your original question - did I get Double Fantasy Stripped Down yet...No - I haven't seen it in shops yet, but I'd like to. The album that got me through my senior year in Catholic High School without going insane will always be cherished in my heart.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Imagine forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 12, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Imagine
Imagine by John Lennon (Audio CD - 2010)
4.5 out of 5 stars (130)