4.0 out of 5 stars Nora Roberts can do no wrong in my world
Published on November 2, 2010 by Nicole R

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Girl Gone ..... Good
Published on October 24, 2010 by JP Reader Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Girl Gone ..... Good, October 24, 2010
When I sat down to write this review, I spent time thinking about not only how I felt about this book but also tried to imagine how some other readers with different tastes might feel. Eventually it became clear to me that we are very likely to see two different types of reviews here, so I'll try to give them both. Pick one depending upon what type of reader you are.

Type 1 - Style fit for a fairytale and no holds barred romance. Sigh.
If you are an adoring fan of the first three novels in this series and have spent the past month staring at that 4th gorgeous bride cover and waiting, waiting, waiting for that day when Parker Brown puts down her Blackberry and lets the man of her dreams sweep her off her well pedicured Manolo Blahnik encased feet, then wait no longer because your day has come. Like a certain Disney movie, Princess Parker Brown (of the Connecticut Browns) finds herself a true diamond in the rough in Malcom. Underneath all that tiny little insignificant bit of grease and dust Malcolm might collect during the day is a man who is nice to his mom, cares about the literacy levels of his employees, and most importantly of all --- knows nothing says sorry like a new pair of high end designer shoes.

For you - Five Stars. Make that Six. Go buy the book and read it because you are gonna love it!!!!!

Type II - Enough Already! Do people really live like this? Bedroom closets with refrigerators?
For those who have grown perhaps a bit weary of the world where every cake Laurel produces is her most fabulous ever, every flower arrangement Emma designs is a tasteful reflection of two hearts beating in harmony, every bride is beautifully Vera Wang-ed from head to toe and there is never a wedding "disaster" that Parker can't solve in two paragraphs - well I'm sorry to say that not much changes. At Vows, even a Divorce Event is handled in a completely classy, beautiful, and dare I say "Holy Smokes Can You Imagine the Bill?!!" manner.

And what of Parker and Malcolm you ask?

Well "Bad Boy" Malcolm does ride a motorcycle, complete with an extra helmet on board for Parker. Safety first don't ya know! There is a small walk on the wild side where the dangerous make your heart thump man takes Parker on a date like she's never experienced before.....to a just shabby enough to be cozy family pizza parlor. (read that in a sarcastic tone). Then he falls right in line behind Carter, Del, and Jack toting chairs around Vows events and helping to hang greenery and just generally being there to comment upon the talent, intelligence and general fabulosity of the Vows foursome whenever they need a man around to do that.

So if you're hoping for the long, sleek "tale" of Parker's to get a little mussed up - or a tattoo to be inked across that blue blooded Ivy League educated derriere of hers as she takes a walk on the wild side.....ummmm, this probably isn't your book. I'd say probably 2.5 stars for you. Come on, those covers alone are pretty enough for 2 stars.

For me, I'm going to put it at three stars. Yeah, yeah, I admit that the nasty part of me was hoping for a fallen wedding cake or something. A problem. Imperfection. Just something different or some real conflict. I really feel like there was a chance here for Nora Roberts to shake things up a bit and have some fun with the Ivy League girl and the boy from the wrong side of the tracks. She didn't do that though. She played it safe and in the end I felt the book read like she wrote it with her eyes closed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nora Roberts can do no wrong in my world, November 2, 2010
I have a tradition, a completely girly and irrational tradition that I love and hope to continue for many years. On the day that a new Nora Roberts book comes out, I purchase it at my local bookstore, crack open a bottle of red wine, and read it cover-to-cover. I give myself permission to drink the WHOLE bottle of wine, cry freely at the over-the-top romantic parts, and disregard any work/social functions to stay up to the wee hours to make sure that the leading man and woman end up Happy Ever After!

Happy Ever After is the final member of the Bride Quartet: Parker Brown. Parker created Vows - a premier wedding business in the ultra-rich Greenwich - for her and her three best friends and continued to make their dream a reality by being the glue that held everything together. Efficient, supreme multi-tasker, level-headed, and organized beyond belief, Parker never saw herself falling for her mechanic, Mal Kavanaugh. But, as Mal proves to be much more than he appears on the surface, Parker finds that he may just be everything she has ever wanted but never planned for.

I am capable of understanding books with complex themes and subtexts and then dissect and discuss them on an intellectual level...I even enjoy books such as that on a fairly regular basis. However, my favorite genre of all time is contemporary romance (heavy on the contemporary, medium on the romance) and Nora Roberts is a goddess in my world. I realize NR novels are unrealistic, contrived, and fit a cookie-cutter mold....and I could care less. They are my guilty pleasure and I love every single word on every single page! :)

Let the countdown begin to July 7, 2011, when the next Nora Roberts novel is released!

3.0 out of 5 stars Expecting more passion ... disappointing, November 1, 2010
P (Gold Coast, Australia) - See all my reviews
I liked the first 3 books and was hoping for a wonderful ending to this romance saga. With characters like Parker and Malcolm there was so much potential for drama and interesting dialogue. Should have been more passion and more intimate moments between Parker & Malcolm, get rid of the wedding details and other relatives - these become boring after a while and I skipped many of these pages on my Kindle. On the whole the book was OK but I waited all year for this book and it fell short for me - maybe my expectations were too high.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Nora! Almost didn't bother finishing this book., May 8, 2011
I am a big Nora Roberts fan. I've read many of her books, including her final book in the bridal quartet: Vision in White. I loved the first, liked the second, got through the third, and almost didn't even finish the fourth book in this series. They were all too similar: Strong, independent business woman isn't looking for a relationship when a gorgeous man falls in her lap. They fall quick, have a huge fight where they almost break up, they get back together and get engaged right after the man apologizes. I feel like a lot of her books have the same general plot: the strong woman fights falling in love and then they live happily ever after once she realizes she can't live without him. It's getting too sappy and fairy tale like. WAY TOO PREDICTABLE!!

1.0 out of 5 stars The nausea induced by this book is the only thing that keeps you awake through it..., January 27, 2011
I've read all four books in the series now, and they have been getting progressively worse. What started out as mildly annoying flaws in Book 1 (the obnoxious way that the four women use stupid abbreviations for all of the people associated with their weddings ALL THE TIME is a start--they are like Rachael Ray with her EVOO) have escalated into actually wanting to punch my E-reader when I see a single sentence that contains the acronyms FOB, FOG, SMOG, and MOH all at once!! (OMGWTF). And all the perfection makes me want to hurl a little. Every character in these books is the most beautiful, most talented, most handsome, most special, most awesome person ever, and all these weddings are the most fantastic, most gorgeous, most flawless events everrrr. And the details...oy. There is no room for much character development because we are too busy learning about every detail of the bouquets, of the dresses, of these customers who are not central to the story. Oh, and the workout routines of the women. Seriously. I realize that these are romance novels, which are primarily an idealized fantasy, but come on. Can't we have one character with an overbite or something?

In addition to the stories being redundant and annoying, this particular book is terrible because Parker is the worst character in the series and I kept hoping she'd fall off Mal's (ugh, terrible name for a hero) motorcycle and die. Everyone in the book talks about how she's so perfect and awesome--I guess to try to convince us of that--when she is really an overbearing control freak with no personality. For example, her three best friends are all marrying (how convenient) and Parker goes out and picks out their wedding dresses for them. Now, I would not appreciate someone taking away a huge moment like trying on and finding the perfect dress, but her friends are just sooo grateful that she deprived them of this because Parker is (of course) so talented at finding the ideal dress for each one of them. So I am not sure why I am supposed to root for her to get together with this guy, a mechanic who is not balding and dirty and paunchy and uneducated but (of course) hot and kind and well-spoken, when she is an uptight, overstepping prig. Run away, Mal...and run away, readers, from this tripe.

5.0 out of 5 stars HEA for the Bridal Quartet, November 3, 2010
MJR (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
What a lovely ending to the Bridal Quartet Series! Calm, cool collected Parker Brown finally falls in love and it drives her crazy....in a good way.

In this book we find out more about how Vows started and how Parker dealt with and continues to deals with the loss of parents. Again, as in Savor the Moment, we learn more about Mrs. G and her history with the Browns. We get to know Mal and his Ma; she is a riot and we learn more about all of the guys; especially Big Brother Del.

We see how much Parker loves her work, and how she also feels lonely, but knows that she is not alone because of the family she has with Mrs. G, Mac, Carter, Emma, Jack, Laurel and Del. We learn how Mal went from stunt man to mechanic, and what drove him to go to Hollywood. He too is lonely, but doesn't realize it, until things get really started with Parker. He is the perfect man for Miss Brown because he is a challenge, nothing like the men she has previously dated and Parker is the perfect woman for Mal for the same reason.

While reading this book, you experience sadness, tears, laughter with friends (girls & guys), heart ache, and confusion, the love of good friends and family as well as romantic love. Mal and Parker are great together!! They give you a new appreciation of a utility closet and a pair of new shoes :)

As much as I loved this book, I am sad to see this series end.

1.0 out of 5 stars So many good reviews?, November 12, 2010
I'm kind of amazed at how many good reviews there are for this. This is not Ms. Robert's best work by any stretch of the imagination. And I know what I'm getting into when I buy a NR romance: couple meets, couple goes on a date, couple has sex REALLY early in, couple dates some more, couplen then decides they are in love, couple has some sort of conflict that causes them to break up, couple gets back together, and usually within three pages of them getting back together, they are getting engaged.

And I've read probably every triology / series that NR has written, so I know that of which I write.

The most interesting parts of her novels, are usually the back stories. But this ... ugh the weddings. So sickly sweet. So sickly perfect. Even the dust ups weren't all that dusty. I didn't like the "evil mother" as the villian in all four books. It was tired by the second book, and really tired by the fourth.

My biggest issue with this book is pretty petty - Mal? Come on? Mal? We already have a Mac and a Del. The best she could do was Mal? I mean she could have gone for Mick or something with Malcom, or anything, really. Use his full name, but Mal? It didn't fit in with his image. And it was distracting every time I read it.

It's formulaic but that's not it's biggest problem ... I really believe these series are written by committee and she doesn't even personally write them. But, this does not stop me for buying them. And I'll continue to read. Because sometimes you really just want the guy to get the girl at the end.

But I'm really glad this is over.

1.0 out of 5 stars A review in two words? Boring drivel., November 1, 2011
I use to love Nora Roberts. And still do I suppose. However, I cannot say her recent works have been very memorable or at all indicative of her talent. This book is a prime example of a tedious, cookie-cutter, formulaic romance. There were too many conversations and details starring their business and customers, too many details and conversations concerning cars, designer clothing and how the "down to earth" rich live (really? ten pairs of shows in one shopping trip and a mini-fridge in your closet?). Where was the personality? The depth and tension? The hero was conventionally tough with a sad past, yet still an honest, good guy that just so happens to also have money now (of course). The heroine was the perfect, never-do-wrong, tall, gorgeous girl with a perfectionist mentality (blah). They introspect their relationship to death, no fireworks go off. Dull reading; no real conflicts or even fun dialogue to keep your interest. Just...boring. I at least would have liked the heroine to take a step into the wild side and not have done a huge wedding. A good, spontaneous elopement would have been the way to go. But nope, all four friends get the same wedding with different themes, with grooms that offer little in the way of independent thought processes. Roberts can and has done so much better than this. Maybe it's time she took a break and stopped cranking out several novels a year and instead concentrated on a story worth telling.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the Nora I used to love?, November 8, 2010
Nora where have you gone? Where is the Nora of the Dream Trilogy and the Born In Trilogy? After reading all 4 books in the Bride Quartet I am overwhelmingly UNDERWHELMED. Character development was not a focus and I think the series lacked because of it. I needed so much more Malcolm. I finished the book feeling like I didn't truly know him at all. I was stoked that Nora was returning to contemporary, realistic storylines without a trace of the at times exhausting mysticism. But I can admit that overall this book and the quartet in totality left a lot to be desired for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars So sad about this, November 5, 2010
Let me state up front I LOVE Nora Roberts and JD Robb - and the first two books of this quartet were FABULOUS, The third - Meh! Not so much What a surprise that was, but I was certain Parker's would be the best ever. As I read it I became sad - because it just never warms up, it doesn't get there. Parker was not the fully rounded Parker I expected to see and know more of. Malcolm was ok - even fine - but not great - not Carter or Jack. He was lukewarm when you know this guy is HOT! what happened? Del's book was also not-quite-there. I feel cheated of the real stories for the last two, but especially this one!

Bottom line - this reads like one of the books you buy when away and you are desperate just have to have something - anything to read and you really don't expect too much. If it isn't good you don't feel cheated. But this is the last of a quartet that began with EVERYTHING - passion, fun, real people and it's just petered out to be so NOT what the first two were. Even the Mac/Carter wedding scenes didn't save it.

Happy Ever After (Bride (Nora Roberts) Series)
Happy Ever After (Bride (Nora Roberts) Series) by Nora Roberts (Audio CD - November 2, 2010)
$34.99 $20.13