Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 2, 2009
Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty just arrived this afternoon. Although it is a children's book, it is very funny for adults, too, and my husband and I read it over each others' shoulders after work and had a much needed laugh. Especially on page 140.

Yes, it has over 140 pages, but they are short, and it took us only about 10 minutes to read silently. We haven't finished reading it to our daughter yet, but I am guessing it would take about 45 minutes to read aloud, or maybe longer if you can't stop laughing.

There are informative facts about cats in the book, such as their crepuscular nature (not many kids' books use that word), how cat's claws grow, and why they shouldn't eat chocolate.

The book is long enough, and the vocabulary complex enough, that one might wonder if kids would like it. The answer is yes. Our 5-year-old daughter loves all four Bad Kitty books, both the long and the short ones, and finds them hilarious. I asked her why, and she said it was the biting and destruction. She also likes the illustrations and the stories.

For those who read the previous Bad Kitty books, it didn't seem as wordy as Bad Kitty Gets a Bath. Also, although the alphabet makes a triumphant return in the early pages, it is mostly a story, not an alphabet book. For those who haven't read the previous books, give them a try!
on September 10, 2009
My 1st Grader purchased this book at the Book Fair and I really thought this was going to be a waste of time and money (the title and cover really didn't do it for me). But, my kid insisted that her teacher had it in their class library and that it would be a fun book. To my surprise, I really enjoyed reading this book with both of my kids (I also have a third grader). It is especially entertaining because we have a cat similar to Bad Kitty. The illustrations and layout, combine story, comic book, and interesting facts into one place, so there is even something for adults to learn. This is also one of the few books that does justice for both of my kids and they even read and laugh together with this one, and it doesn't even need stickers. If your family has a cat, kids will notice the similarities too, so I would really recommmend purchasing it. Plus, as an adult it is a little more enjoyable to follow.
on September 15, 2009
Happiness is finding a book you know your child will love. And there is nothing like the perverse joy of having your child sneak off to read instead of doing what you `want' them to do. Thankfully, many of the great books my kids have relished such as
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1),Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Fairy Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1) (Bk. 1) come with sequels that satisfy as much as the first one does. This was never truer than with Nick Bruel's latest Bad Kitty book, Happy Birthday Bad Kitty.

Oooh, it is so good. My kids understandably fought over it when it first came. However, it is so delightfully funny that neither one of them has grown even slightly tired of it. Neither have I. Mr. Bruel has managed the seemingly impossible balance of simple sentences and repetition that early readers need with an entertaining and fast paced story that appeals to all ages. Plus, he teaches all of us some interesting things about cats in the process. This is particularly good for my younger daughter who is bored with the books at her level, but not quite able to read the books that really interest her - i.e. the books her older sister is reading. I highly recommend this book for your next birthday party gift for anyone from Kindergarten through 2nd grade.

Now all we have to do is wait for the soon to be released Ivy & Bean Doomed to Dance (October 14th) and The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma(October 9th).
VINE VOICEon December 7, 2009
My seven year old got this book through a school book order today and she literally ran into the house to read it! She sat and giggled and kept running up to show me the illustrations! Within a few minutes, I was laughing right along with her! This book is hilarious!!!
on October 13, 2011
This is a great book. My son (5) loves the humor and the artwork and I like the humor and artwork. It's something I can enjoy reading to him over and over and over again. Which is good because I'm trying to help him learn how to read in conjuction with him being in Kindergarten and this helps keep us on track.

Okay - I see it's a 9-12 age group. Personally I think younger readers could easily read it themselves and enjoy it - and that it's good to read to your kid from 5 up.
on November 29, 2010
At my daughters' 7th birthday someone gave her a bad kitty book. Now we have the whole series.
Nick Bruel is a comic / kid genius and I think we are going to see a lot more of him & the bad kitty series. Its really sensational.

As for the book, its a great read. I read to my daughter every night and we often trade off pages. There are dense sections of text where "uncle murray" explains why cats do this or that, but generally its a very light read with a few sentences per page and hysterical illustrations.

The story is a funny one and a bit touching. It was the first book which my daughter and I were absolutely belly-laughing while reading it!

get it! ps. I think its more girl-oriented than boy oriented. My little girl loves animals, my younger boy, spider-man etc. That was certainly part of the appeal.
VINE VOICEon September 30, 2010
My 7 year old daughter was introduced to Bad Kitty (the original picture book) in Kindergarten, and then we found Bad Kitty Gets a Bath on the shelf (at age 6). She sat down and read the whole thing that night, in absolute stitches the entire time. Our copy is now horribly abused and bent and well-loved from the time she spends with it.

Mr. Bruel did an excellent job aging the entire story style to the next level, and carrying an engaging and naughtily hilarious character along with it. Yes, we had NO hesitation in picking up a copy of this book (Happy Birthday Bad Kitty) when it released, and kiddo about had a melt down of joy when she saw Bad Kitty vs. Uncle Murray available on her Scholastic Book Order just last week. I'll lay you odds it'll be read before we even get home the day it arrives in class.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 4, 2012
I liked "Bad Kitty Gets a Bath". I liked this volume well enough. But, it seems that one Bad Kitty book in the library is probably enough. Bad Kitty is a pretty grumpy and uncooperative guy. That's fun in smaller doses, but over a couple of books it can lose its appeal. I know that being bad and bored and sour and difficult is the character hook here, and that the subtext is to impress upon the young listener/reader that this is bad behavior, but no matter how you dress it up that message can get old over time.

So, is a Bad Kitty book a fun and interesting addition to the family library? You bet. Is this a good one to be that book? Sure. I just don't feel the need for a complete series.
on June 1, 2010
Our son says that he doesn't like to read. After spending time with Bad Kitty, he has changed his mind. The book is entertaining and has lots of comedy for kids and adults. Additionally, he's learned a few scientific things about cats from the book. The illustrations are amazing and add to the books comedic value. Also, my son liked it because he said that he could hear the author's voice while reading it. He also said that it did a great job of telling us how the cat feels as well. For my part, I like any book that makes me him read, and as a third grade teacher, I can tell you that my other students have enjoyed it as well!
on February 23, 2011
My daughter is 7 and absolutely dreads reading. We decided to check out various chapter books while browsing a book store. My daughter came upon Happy Birthday Bad Kitty. She loves reading this book and is planning on getting more as soon as she is finished the last couple chapters of this book. I completely recommend this book for readers who are not thrilled with reading and who are just beginning chapter books.

As a parent review, I love this book because it is not too simplistic where it bored my child yet it is a bit more difficult than the non-chapter books. Highly recommended!