5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED!
Published on December 9, 2011 by Sarita Lopez

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun book!
***May contain spoilers***

Published on April 28, 2011 by Avery Greaves

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun book!, April 28, 2011
***May contain spoilers***

I found the premise of this story to be a bit too similar to Alex Flinn's "Beastly" for my liking. We have an arrogant/ overly cocky popular boy who is obsessed with his looks (however his father is even more so obsessed with his son's looks). We have a somewhat unusual female character who places a curse upon said cocky boy when he is a complete jerk-face to her. We see boy outraged at said curse, though with time we see him come to terms with the fact that he was previously a jerk-face and do a complete 180 and become a humble and understanding person and we see boy fall in love with a somewhat unpopular/ wallflower girl (a girl with red curly hair). I also thought that this quote from the book, "Mr. Martin... You should look on the outside like you do on the inside. On the inside you are a stupid, selfish little man incapable of feeling or thinking anything worth a damn", was way too similar to the lines from the "Beastly" novel and film, "You are as aggressively unattractive on the outside as you are in the inside", and "You are ugly now, on the inside, where it matters most and if you ever lost your good looks, I bet you wouldn't be smart enough to get them back. You are beastly." (However, if you have yet to read "Beastly"- or see the movie I suppose- I doubt you will know of such similarities and therefore you will not be bothered by this fact at all.)

Furthermore, I felt that at times, especially towards the end of the book, that there was way too much going on (ie. instant undying love, witchcraft, etc.) and that there was way TMI expressed/ unnecessary events in the plotline (ie. projectile vomit, Cameron and his mother's bedroom scene, Cameron and his crazy school's librarian bedroom scene, and this quote, "... the water was brown and had a funny odor that smelled not of kitten p*ss but of fecal matter from a large dog with irritable bowel syndrome" and others like it).

However, this book was actually able to engage me in ways that "Beastly" was unable to. In "Beastly" I didn't really care what happened to the main character Kyle (let's be honest, I only read it because I wanted to watch the movie-> solely for the purpose of seeing Alex Pettyfer on the screen for a couple of hours), but in this book I definitely was concerned about Cameron's fate. Cameron was quite a dynamic character and while he definitely had his jerk-face moments (more so in the beginning of the book), he did have some pretty "Awwwww!" moments (more so towards the end of the book) that made you fall for him.

All in all, I do think that despite the book not being the most original story ever it is quite a light and fun read. I think that YA occupying the lower end of the spectrum (14-17 year olds) will more so enjoy this book than those occupying the upper end of the spectrum (18-24 year olds).

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED!, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Happy Birthday to Me (Paperback)
Happy Birthday to Me, is simply amazing. Cameron Martin is your typical, "Girls want him, Guys want to be him" type of guy. He's good looking, has a great body, and a sexy girlfriend. But when he starts taking people for granted thinking that he will never see the consequences of his actions, THINGS GO WRONG!! After celebrating one to many fake birthdays just for the yummy chocolate cake, and treating a waitress a bit bad, he's cursed! When he wakes up the next day, he feels facial stuble thats never been there before, then his well toned body is starting to get flabby and for some strange reason that he can't explain, it looks like he's getting older.

Cameron has to try to figure out what's wrong with himself before time runs out. In that time, he's sees his girlfriend for who she really is, and also finds out who his friends really are. He learns to appreciate the things he has, as well as life in and of itself.

For those who have seen the movies Seventeen Again and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I'd say that this book is the perfect combination of both. Rowe brings many different emotions to this book, it's funny, sad, heartbreaking and most of all heartwarming.

Would I recommend this book to anyone?? I already have.

As far as rating goes:

5 out of 5 hearts!! Loved!!

5.0 out of 5 stars From Missy's Reads & Reviews, June 27, 2011
Missy (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Birthday to Me (Paperback)
This book has left me speechless for several days, and I hope that I am eloquent enough to pull off a review that does this book the justice that it deserves. Obviously, I think it's amazing. The premise is something that I haven't experienced in my history of reading, and this was one incredible story to introduce the concept to me. Unfortunately, now, they're may be too high of standards for any book to follow in Happy Birthday To Me's footsteps -- well, except maybe for the sequel. ;)

One of the biggest and most significant things to note about this book was character growth, especially with our main character Cameron. He started out as someone that wasn't exactly the greatest of characters to follow, but soon changed into someone wonderful. He went from jerk to a guy with a huge heart - really, I think it was one of the best things about the book. The love interest was interesting, something that I wasn't expecting but was kind of hoping for through most of the novel. There was no insta-love which, again, was a bonus. I think I had the hardest time with the people in Cameron's life, which were both family and friends. I don't know if I would classify them all as insensitive or uncaring.. or maybe both. I just didn't like the way they treated Cameron, but I'm glad that this didn't bring him down.

The storyline was simply remarkable with a perfect progression for the tone of the book and never left you hanging. The writing was impeccable and Brian Rowe did an incredible job portraying a teenager that had to deal with something that most teenagers would never have to experience along with having to go through everything that all teenagers have to deal with on top of it all. I hate to classify this book, so I'll just say this is one of those great Young Adult books that needs to be read by everyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't enjoy as much as I wanted to, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Happy Birthday to Me (Paperback)
Happy Birthday to Me is basically a mix between The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (in reverse), and Beastly by Alex Flinn. I thought I would enjoy it quite a bit, because it seemed interesting, but, honestly, I'm not that impressed.

Brian Rowe is definitely a talented writer, but his style wasn't consistent. I think it could use a bit of polishing, and it'll be really good. He just wrote with these little quirks that bugged me--like his overuse CAPITALIZING WORDS. ENTIRE SENTENCES WOULD BE CAPITALIZED, AND IT JUST MADE EVERYONE SEEM LIKE THEY WERE HARD OF HEARING AND SHOUTED ALL THE TIME. You see how that starts to lose its potency the more you read it? Also, there were just some grammar mistakes regarding the dialogue that bugged me too. But Brian does have a talent for writing, with nice descriptions and a pretty quick moving pace. Things didn't take long to build up, which was good.

I also had issues with a lot of the characters. They were just so... cold. I've seen a lot of people complain about Cameron's dad, and with good reason! Cameron's father was a plastic surgeon, and he was so preoccupied with superficial looks and things like his son getting a basketball scholarship that he didn't seem to care that his son was pretty much on the fast track to death. I really hated him, and he never really redeemed himself in my eyes. None of the other characters really stood out for me, either. Cameron annoyed me for a good majority of the novel, with his arrogance, and his girlfriend and 'best friend', Charisma and Wesley fell flat.

I found the concept of the novel pretty cool though. The fact that there is actually a disease called Progeria that causes rapid aging is really fascinating. I thought Brain Rowe did really well in describing the subtle changes in Cameron's appearance, leading up to the more dramatic changes of his growing old.

I'm undecided as to whether I want to read the sequel, because I feel like Happy Birthday to Me ended in a good place, and could definitely be a stand-alone novel. I give this novel 2 out of 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars No more birthdays for me, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Happy Birthday to Me (Birthday Trilogy Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I sometimes seriously wonder if the reviewers who give some of these books four and five star ratings are reading the same thing I am. I made myself keep reading this book even when I wanted to quit after a few chapters. Really wish I had quit when I wanted to. Instead I made it through 53% of the book before finally giving up. This author's writing style seems like an 8th grader's english assignment. I did not like the main character, his father, his girlfriend, his best friend, the librarian, the coach, etc., etc., etc. The whole thing was tedious with nothing redeeming about it. Save yourself the time and don't even start reading it. Can not believe there's a Book 2 to this series!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 BIRTHDAY STARS!, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Happy Birthday to Me (Paperback)
Brian has written quite an original tale that had me laughing at his sense of humour, but, at the same time there is an underlying message that is woven in to the story.

Cameron Martin, basketball player and athlete , he has the looks and he has the popular girl. He is a bit of a stirrer and that is where this story takes its direction.

Cameron finds himself aging one year per day .

The start of the book has Cameron at age eighty and in hospital......I am intrigued already.

The thoughts that came to mind when reading this book, were, the movie 17 Again with Zac Efron....but in reverse, and Beastly with Alex Pettyfer, that whole moral of the girl that teaches the popular guy a lesson.

Brian gives us chapters in ages and you `feel' for Cameron and how people treat him. On the inside he is seventeen on the outside every 24 hours he gets a year older. The once selfish teen is starting to get a speedy view of growing older and body issues. There are funny moments throughout this book, but there is the serious issue of a boy rapidly aging, and getting closer to death every day.

One minute he has his whole life ahead of him at seventeen, but then, that could be over in less than three months. A hard thing for a family to watch happen.

I did shake my head at Cameron's father. I am not sure if I would have had him up on charges for one thing he did...yowzer. His father just did not cope well with what was happening to Cameron. The impact his rapid aging had on the people around Cameron was interesting, and yes, with Mrs Gordon...... errr that was creepy to watch, ha!

When your mum mistakes you for your father, cause you look like him, well that could make for a rather...oh dear...momentJ..hehe!

Charisma , Cameron's girlfriend, the aspiring actress....not that she has a lot of charisma, takes Cameron on a bit of a donkey chase , promising him sex when he grows facial hair. Well, little did Cameron know it would only take a couple days from that night at Uncle Tony's to get his wish.

Be careful what you wish for.

Wesley Craven...haha!!..get it Wes Craven...see Brian has humour, he is Cameron's best mate, an aspiring film maker. There is a side story going on with Cameron's story. I liked Wes, he means well, but he does think like a guy sometimes.

And then there is the mysterious Liesel..........

I would have loved the cover of this book to have had a blurb that separates it from looking like a birthday book with a blurb that shows the reader some intrigue....like.... `when you age one year a day, the motto, life is too short, really does take on a whole new meaning'..yeah I know..I was tryingJ

But you get what I mean. I love the titles of these books as they really do have meaning to the story. I think they just need a blurb that peaks more interest...just sayingJ..could be wrong, most probably am.

I gave this 4 stars as I was entertained, I laughed, it was an easy read with an interesting idea that made me stop and think a bit about my life and what would I do with my time if I was aging one year per day.

What would you do?

Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really interested in the sequels, February 16, 2012
The main character, Cameron is kind of sleazy. Like going to restaurants and claiming it is his birthday just to get free cake. But suddenly, every day is his birthday and he is aging a year for every day. He is such a self centered brat, that it is really hard to like the character at all...and yet we all have unlikeable sides to us. Only one person can undo this problem, the waitress he has repeatedly snubbed. Actually, now that I think about it, his parents are pretty unlikable also, maybe someone should have cursed them. This wasn't bad for a YA book, but there are many better ones out there. I see this is a trilogy so far. Maybe the author should try another subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, June 15, 2011
4.5 stars

Happy Birthday to Me by Brian Rowe was shockingly awesome. Rowe's cute, whimsical way of writing reminded me of You Wish by Mandy Hubbard.

I went into the book (giggling) disliking Cameron. He was so full of himself. Cameron's the kind of person who would love to stare at himself in a mirror all day and do superman poses. But more then that, I felt incredibly embarrassed for him. I literally had to put the book down for a few minutes because he was making an idiot out of himself by being the total drama queen that he was, and he didn't even notice.

That resulted in me being incredibly embarrassed for him. I also kind of felt sorry for him, because his super busy dad only seemed to show up when he was pressuring Cameron to follow in his footsteps and be a plastic surgeon or nagging him to be a better basketball player. So basically this means in the beginning of the book I was caught in the constant cycle of being sorry for him/ wanting to slap him. Hard.

What I really enjoyed about Happy Birthday to me was that when Cameron started aging he found out who his real friends were and how his family could genuinely act. Before he started aging, I could've (but I didn't want to) put down the book, but after I was hooked. Everything started getting interesting, and I found myself wanting to see where all the character relationships went. The cycle of sorry/ slapping was broken. By that point I actually started to like Cameron.

Liesel is still mysterious by the end of the book. I hope that'll change when the second book, Happy Birthday to me Again, comes out. I will defiantly be buying the sequel!

You can also view the review at [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Dear author...merriam-webster.com is your friend, September 14, 2012
Moriaelini (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Birthday to Me (Paperback)
I just started reading this book today and the premise seems okay although a little cliché. What immediately came to my attention was the use of the word 'swindled' in reference to an alcoholic beverage that was SMUGGLED into a restaurant. From an author who was an english major this seems to be a seriously stupid error. I am sure the rest of the book is fine, but this made me not want to read more. I am lucky that I happened to get the book for free, but I cannot imagine why such an error was allowed to pass editing - if it was even edited - much less be sold for $11.99.

Edited to add: I 'bought' the kindle version for free.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy birthday to me (trilogy book 1), December 16, 2013
Was a very interesting book. Keeps you wondering what will happen next. Now going to start the second book. Hope it is as good as this one.