5.0 out of 5 stars Best keyboard period, December 20, 2010
acl (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional2 (White) (Personal Computers)
I was a BIG fan of the original Thinkpad keyboards and have many keyboards such as: old Logitech keyboards, the original Mac G4 cube keyboard, Microsoft Natural Pro (with the solid palm rest molded into the frame). I thought I was satisfied with the Microsoft keyboard... until I tried a Happy Hacking Professional 2 keyboard at a coworker's desk. oh man. The Happy Hacking blew me away. It's such a great keyboard. I switched to a Happy Hacking Pro 2 and never looked back.

I code and write a lot and my fingers never get tired with the Happy Hacking Pro 2 keyboard. The key feel is sublime. There is no unnecessary keys such as caps-lock (the control key is there), 'windows' key, or F-keys. Bare minimum and designed for maximum typing and coding. I miss this keyboard every time I am on the road with my Thinkpad x200 keyboard typing for more than 5 minutes. It's just that good.

Absolutely the best keyboard on the market and worth every penny I paid for.

If you spend any time on your computer typing OR your work is involved with typing, this is the best investment you can make for your health and productivity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Hacking Pro, March 31, 2012
I dropped the three-hundred dollars for the Happy Hacking Pro 2 White/Printed version because I heard nothing but good things about it. I got it with two day shipping from Canada for 15 dollars from elitekeyboards.com. After typing on it for a few weeks, I am so glad I didn't settle for the Lite version and spent the extra money for a REAL keyboard. As a result of typing on my HHKB Pro 2, I sold my Adesso, Cherry MX Blue. The tactile Adesso, a fine keyboard that I used for a year without any sort of problem was supremely unsatisfying after typing on the Topre Capacitive switches that the Happy Hacking Pro uses. The Topre switches, in my opinion, are better than any Cheery MX Switches. The feeling is different, a pleasant sort of clompiness, super easy to press, ergonomic, it is a tiny keyboard but it has huge, unmissable keys. The only keyboard that compares with the HHKB Pro in terms of the typing experience is the IBM Model M. I bought my Model M a while before my Happy Hacking kb, and have since gotten rid of all my other keyboards. These two keyboards simply feel the best and are the most reliable. They are essentially the only two keyboards you need. My family thinks I have a keyboard fetish, but maybe I do, and the Happy Hacking is like a wet dream that never ends.

The IBM Model M is a ten-pound tank, very loud, that will likely outlive me. My Happy Hacking keyboard is more reasonably sized, at 11.6 inches - compared to the Model M's 21 inches. I think the HHKBPro weighs abou 1.5 pounds. It has two levels of feet, so it can be adjusted to two slanted heights. It doesn't move around on the desk at all when you type. The detachable cord is sturdy and long. I am tempted to get the carrying case for it at elitekeyboards.com, though it is difficult to justify a fifty dollar case when probably any old computer case will do. It hardly takes up any room on my desk, and I love having my mouse so close to my right hand. I remapped a few of the keys to make things easier and add more features. It might be necessary to use a combination of the DIP Switches in the back of the keyboard and your computer's remapping settings to get the right setup for you, especially if you have the "otaku" version of this keyboard. The DIP Switches change the actual circuitry in the keyboard, so there are some key combinations that are not so easy to manage. For instance, I had to make my Command key on the left into a function key, and both ALT keys into command. This means I don't have an ALT key, but I find I don't really use it ever anyway. I like having a function key on both sides, but it is also imperative to have a command key on both sides since I use a MacBook, it's just that now both the Command key on the right and the ALT key on the right are Command keys. This is slightly annoying, but this keyboard does everything a full sized keyboard does and is so much better anyway, that I don't really care. In short, there are any number of ways you can customize the keys, and I suggest experimenting.

If you are thinking about buying a cheaper keyboard, like the Das, Adesso, Filco, Mattias, or Rosewill, think carefully. If you are a gamer, you might enjoy those keyboards, they are by no means bad keyboards. But seriously, there is no mechanical keyboard in that price range that feels anywhere near as good as the Topre Capacitive Switches - these things are in a league of their own. Elitekeyboards.com also has some Cherry MX keyboards in the Leopold line, though I personally like the Das and Adesso for their design and build. I don't have any desire to get another Cherry MX keyboard ever again though, after using my HHKB Pro. Also my friend who was thinking of getting a Das tried out my Model M and HHKB Pro and stopped himself from getting a Cherry MX switch keyboard. So I'm not just imagining things. This keyboard really does feel amazing. Once you get used to the control key and delete key positions as well, it just makes so much more sense. My type racer score jumps up to ninety words per minute when I use my happy hacking keyboard. Finally it is less tiring and actually faster, quieter, and just as tactile as the best keyboard ever made: The IBM Model M (basically uncontested). If you care about how your typing feels, get a Happy Hacking Pro 2 while they are still around - because I think most suppliers are running out of them!

4.0 out of 5 stars An *almost* perfect programming keyboard, September 14, 2013
There's quite a bit to be said about this keyboard, so i guess i'll break it up into sections. first things first:

--- Is This For You? ---
If you're looking to play games, i can give that question a resounding "NO!".

If you intend to use it for poking around in something like excel or another program that requires you to be constantly alternating between hitting arrow keys and typing numbers, i can ALSO give that a resounding "NO!".

If you intend to use it to constantly be switching back and forth between ttys with Alt+F#, then it is also, sadly, probably not for you.

If you're an aspiring novelist and are looking for something nice to type on, then this might be for you (though i'm not sure i could quite justify the price).

If you are a VIM user, then YES, this keyboard is VERY MUCH for you.

---- Look and Feel -----
You can tell what it looks like easily from screenshots above/looking around online, so i won't bother with that, apart from saying that the white version in particular is very aesthetically pleasing (yay symmetry!).

The keys are very lightly textured, making my fingers glide smoothly over them (rather than the sticking, like they would on completely smooth plastic). Imagine running a finger along the side of a piece of chalkboard chalk. The keypresses themselves have a very similar slightly-textured feel that i find rather satisfying.

------ Key Layout ------
For the most part, this board's layout is refreshingly logical over the placement of keys on just about EVERYTHING else out there.

Control is MUCH easier to use in this position (although, to be fair, i'd had my CapsLock key remapped to a control before, so there was no awkward transition period).

Esc and Backspace (Delete, but they include a switch to use it as Backspace instead) also require a good deal less stretching in these positions, and, despite never having used either before, i got used to it immediately (going back to Backspace above \ when using other keyboards is actually the only difficult part).

The dual, giant Supers are fantastic for me (i use AwesomeWM). The positions of the Alt keys may be annoying to some because they don't allow being pressed with the thumb without awkward curling. Dual Alts are provided, though, and you should really be using them anyways (hitting the required Alt with your opposing hand's ring finger) because all that thumb curling will otherwise lead to discomfort/injuries. If you really have a problem with it, though, Super_L and Alt_L can be swapped with another switch.

The arrow keys being embedded as secondary Fns of other keys may also be something people gripe about, but i LOVE it. using them for things like moving around in a text editor or scrolling is much easier than having to move a hand completely off of the keyboard proper and then back on as is required with other boards. The only situation in which i can see it as being a problem would be playing games. The embedded Home and End are fantastic for much the same reason.

The lack of F# keys is definitely a drawback. The lack of dedicated Del key is also annoying. the easiest fix would be to add in a dedicated row above the arrow keys for F1-12 and Del(with Ins as its Fn option) running from 1 to | to maintain symmetry/avoid getting in the way of easily hitting Esc, though i doubt that will ever happen ;_;

I have mine set to "Macintosh" mode for the media key functionality, and most of the Fn keys work out of the box in X11 without any additional configuration, with the only exceptions being Eject, which is reported as XF86AudioMicMute, and Clear, which is reported as Num_Lock. (The first one is arguably more useful for me though, seeing as i have no optical drives, and i'm not even sure what "Clear" is supposed to do anyways =P).

----- Versatility ------
This keyboard's light weight (but not so light that it feels flimsy/doesn't stay where you put it) and very small form factor make it wonderful for carrying around, with the detachable cord sealing the deal. (it's small size also makes it perfect for people like me who have terrible posture and like to sit with a keyboard in the lap rather than on the desk =P).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Feel, Slightly odd layout, April 11, 2014
I owned one for a couple of years until I somehow managed to break the USB connector on the circuit board of the keyboard. This keyboard looks and feels GREAT. Your fingers will thank you for it. It is also surprisingly quiet (I think) compared at least to some of the other mechanical keyboards.

The special key layouts are a little difficult at first, but once you train your hands to them they are fine.

After I broke it, I bought a PURE (cherry) mechanical keyboard and while it was "alright" it did not hold a candle to the HHKB and it was also much more noisy. Because I could not afford (at that and the current time) another HHKB I ended up purchasing a Matias mini quiet pro instead. Better than the PURE but the keystrokes are too firm (and a tiny bit short), but as advertised it is very quiet for a mechanical keyboard... for any keyboard.

But I will say that if some extra disposable cash ever falls into my lap I will purchase another HHKB Pro 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Switches and Great Quality. Just a little lacking in customization., November 9, 2014
I'm reallly happpy with the Topre switches used in this keyboard. Great for both typing and gaming in my opinion. Short actuation point, debounce time 3x faster then cherries, good tactile feel, and only the spacebar is very loud.

One down side is that while i love the look of the keys, and they are definitely very high quality, i would love to play with customizing them, and the vast majority of aftermarket keys are cherry compatible, not topre compatible. Has me thinking i might of wanted to try cm storm's topre keyboard, which they added pluses to the switches to make them compatible with cherry keys.

I wish there were more customization options for assigning functions to keys as well. Like the backspace key by default is delete, and you need to use FN to backspace. You can make it backspace without FN, but then instead of the FN function switching to Del, it stays as Backspace. There are also two function keys next to the spacebar which i have no use for, because i'm not running mac and i can only switch them to windows keys or FN keys, neither of which are particularly appealing to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My second HHKB2, April 24, 2014
I bought a white hhkb2 since it was compact and topre with highly visible lettering. After getting used to the layout, I sold it to a friend for the dough and went back to my Cherry Brown MX keys.

Slowly, the need for these hybrid domes crept in like I was a drug fiend. This time I ordered the all black version, and the lettering is barely visible, but that's alright. After a few weeks, you'll find yourself getting better at touch typing. The one thing you will have to get used to are the arrow keys, especially if you jump around a lot in a text editor without a mouse.

If price and layout are an issue, you might want to consider the Leopold FC660C for $160 at elitekeyboards.com, but their stock sells out quick.

Otherwise, this is a solid buy that should last for years. I would also suggest the Grifiti Fat Wrist Pad 12 is a 4 x 12 Inch Wrist Rest Pad to complement this beauty and save your wrists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect feel., September 21, 2014
Feels amazing! Now I can just slightly more enjoy typing papers. Just a little.

It took me a while to get used to where the Delete and Control key are but it is now preferable to where they are on my MacBook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimal. Functional. Configurable., July 30, 2014
The device is very configurable, beautiful and functional. With its great build quality and minimalist appeal, I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best compact keyboard you can buy, April 27, 2014
What can I say, HHKB pro-2 has already long established its reputation amongst keen keyboard users. This keyboard is light and well built. With the well known Topre swich, typing on this is like a breeze. The PBT keycaps are also a big plus compared to conventional ABS keycaps you often see in cheaper products.

I would particularly recommend this keyboard to UNIX programmers because the key layout is perfect for what it is best in - programming. If you are a Vim user like I am , you will appreciate its key layout.

Although this keyboard lacks dedicated arrow keys (you need to press Fn key plus one of the four keys on the right hand side of the keyboard to achieve arrow keys), I found a way to remap Alt + hjkl as arrow keys and that's so much easier because you never have to leave your home row!

I purchased mine from USER SIED. They shipped the product from Japan and it only takes 4 business days for me to receive the item. Overall I am very happy with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Tool, December 17, 2013
I think it's OK! you can use it like a good tool when you touch it. you will like it

Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional2 (White)
$253.13
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.