on November 25, 2012
I love the whole Happy Herbivore series. Lindsay has turned me into a vegan! Two years running, and I still use her books at least 4 times/week; for the simplicity she provides. I have many wonderful and useful vegan cookbooks; many can be quite complicated, and fancy with numerous ingredients- yes, they are fabulous and fancy and delectable. But if I may be honest, time-consuming is only acceptable when the opportunity presents itself. On a busy weeknight when I have nothing left over in the fridge; no salad prepared; or simply have no energy left to cook-I pull out a Happy Herbivore, and 30 minutes later I am eating a yummy and healthy meal.
Happy Herbivore Abroad is Lindsay's best yet! First off, it is pleasing enough to the eye to leave out on your coffee table. Second off, it is fun to read and navigate through the beautiful photos and learn about her travels...get to know what she is really all about. As for the recipes and getting down to what matters most....the recipes,so far, are winners! Hands down this book is a keeper, yet another HH book to keep right where I can reach it. I have made the Cuban Black Bean soup; the Tabbouleh; and the Insalata Fantasia-oh and the Cranberry Bread:-) I am being honest when I say they all get 2 thumbs up from me. I can't hardly wait to hit up every recipe is this Abroad book. Just get it! If you are a a vegetarian, a "Meatless Monday" person, a new vegan, a lifetime vegan.....this has it going on! It's great for the collection:) You won't regret it.
Lindsay is the Rachel Ray for vegans! Love her; she has evolved over the years, and this book proves it!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 2, 2013
I love Lindsay. I love her view on food, her recipes, her blog. Her first two books (Happy Herbivore and Everyday Happy Herbivore) are my bibles when it comes to getting a healthy veggie centered meal on my family's table. However, I have to say out of the three this one was my least favorite. The recipes are just too bland. That said, they are incredibly healthy and would be great for those on very strict, low sodium, no fat, whole foods, plant-based diet. I understand her wanting to make everything ultra healthy (AWESOME!!!!), but I find the first two to be more tasty and fun, even if there are a few little cheats here and there like the lightlife veggie 'meat' in the 'meat'ball subs or a quick spray of pam.

So, I would never discourage one from buying this book, but if you are considering which to get, I hope this review might shed some light. If you are on strict Esslytn heart disease reversal diet, get this one. If you are an average joe easing into a plant based diet, get HH and/or EHH. Or if you don't have a budget, buy all 3!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love the Happy Herbivore Cookbooks, I would say that the first two are among my five favorite vegan cookbooks. Her original book is probably the cookbook I use the most. (See: The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes ;Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes ).

Why four instead of five stars? Well this book contains 125 recipes as opposed to the 175 each in the previous two releases. And the recipes are mostly good but not exceptional. I will say that if you want a quick, low fat book of recipes, this is great. But if you don't have the first two of her books, those are much more solid recipe books. And many pages in this are dedicated to photos of the places Lindsay traveled to. There are a few recipe repeats, but they don't count towards the 125. And unlike a few other vegan cookbooks which I tore apart in my reviews, this one actually has the bulk dedicated to dishes. (One that I reviewed - not any of Nixon's - had at least half of the recipes for spices, rubs, dressings, condiments, frosting, glazes, and such... At least half!)

There is also a section of 'American' recipes in the back. Not a big deal (and it does state that on the back cover), but with 125 recipes, I would have preferred a few more recipes from other countries. Japan could have been a great source of recipes since they have an active Buddhist culture (vegetarian and vegan) around Kyoto and many restaurants cater to the vegetarian and vegan. Sadly we see recipes such as edamame (seriously the easiest thing to make).

The great thing about Lindsay's recipes is that most of the ingredients can be found at your local grocery store. Rarely have I had to seek something out that my local Whole Foods didn't have. And probably 75% of the time I have everything on hand already (if you stock a good selection of beans, grains, and spices then you have the ability to make many dishes - depending on what veggies you have currently).

In this book the standouts were the stews and casserole type dishes. There were many veggie or bean or rice dishes that were VERY similar to recipes in her other books (I checked a few - some are one or two ingredients off from the original - others result in similar tastes), others are exact copies such as the cheater pad thai. (Not counted in the 125 recipe count).

But overall a very good cookbook. As a fan of her others I enjoyed it, but perhaps the bar was set too high with the amazing collection of recipes in the earlier books. One note for the publisher: Proofread. I doubt Sheree's cajun blend spice has 360 calories and 6 grams of fat per teaspoon =)

Standouts: Cassoulet, goulash, quick chili mole, masoor dal, migas (soooo good!), saag, cheater African beans, chili bok choy, vegetable korma, vegetable enchiladas, African delight (mmmmmm... kale), cajun stuffed mushrooms. (Of note: Teeny Tiny Spice Co makes a great Ethiopian berbere and Cajun seasoning. You can buy on Amazon.)

We're still working through the recipes, but so far so good. Just buy the first two if you haven't already. And look for the upcoming "Oh She Glows" vegan cookbook (2014 I think...)

Update (Dec 12, 2012):

The desserts and baking dishes are good - for vegans! But I hesitate to make these for non-vegans since they have a wholesome, healthy flavor. Personally I enjoy lighter emphasis on oil and sugar (one of the reasons I love Nixon's cookbooks), but for those not used to a vegan diet, they might give the ol "See? Vegan food is bland!" argument. In that instance I use the overwhelmingly sugar-centric Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone's Favorite Treats. But Nixon's recipes are for the health conscious, so just be forewarned that they will not be the type of vegan desserts that they serve at Black Sheep bakery! (Which I cannot eat anymore thanks to my looking up the nutritional info... 600 calorie bran and berry muffin??? Yikes!)

Still, 125 recipes is a good slice, especially the emphasis on international cuisine. But I stand by the four star merely by the comparison to her previous two recipe books which each had 175 recipes, and I think a bit more exciting dishes overall. Buy the first two if you don't have them. They will keep you occupied for awhile. Then get this book if you want some more variety. The internationally influenced entrees are the best part of this book.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2012
Full disclosure, I've been a huge HH fan since day one. I just love what Lindsay is doing, which is encouraging people to make healthy choices, and sharing with people that you don't have to spend a lot of money to make good, delicious, healthy food. That all being said, this is absolutely Lindsay's best work yet. I didn't think any book could top what she did with Everyay Happy Herbivore, but this really takes the (oil-free) cake! Besides being filled with culinary delights from the countries Lindsay has visited, there's a travel memoir and gorgeous photographs throughout the book. The pictures alone make me want to do more international travel. This book is wonderful for ANYONE, even those who aren't plant based. Whether you're new to cooking or a pro in the kitchen, this book is sure to delight you. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I have. I was able to get an advance copy about a month ago now, so I've had a chance to really go through to book and test many recipes. Plus-i tested for this book, so I had an idea of what was coming and I loved it.
on November 25, 2012
The latest Happy Herbivore tradition continues her tradition of user-friendly, tasty and healthy recipes. My wife uses's Nixon's books to cook food more than I do and as the beneficiary of her recipes, I highly recommend them.

All recipes come with essential information at the top of the page that tells you if the recipe is gluten free, soy free, fast to make or cheap to make.

Also, recipes tell you the calories, fat, carbohydrates, fiber and sugar amounts. As Nixon is strictly vegan, the nutrition is usually great for all the recipes but it is nice to see it there still.

I'm loving what I have done so far with this latest edition. My favorite is the hot chocolate (I know, vegan hot chocolate!) which I was able to make in minutes with ingredients I already had in the fridge and pantry.
on January 28, 2013
I'm not the type to usually write reviews for books, especially books as loved as this one! You can see by the reviews that this is a great book, and I'm going to add my own 2 cents.

I bought Everyday Happy Herbivore a while back, made a couple recipes (which were very good) and then let it to sit for awhile...I started following Lindsey on Facebook and was constantly seeing people post about this dish and that dish that they made from Happy Herbivore Abroad (aka HHA).

I decided to get a sample of the book (Kindle) to see what type of recipes were in there. Normally you don't get an actual recipe in the sample, but in HHA, there were like 4! My husband and I made one of the recipes and were hooked! I downloaded the book the next day and have since been trying as many recipes as possible!

My family is German, and I grew up eating yummy (albeit meat-filled) German food. When I saw the goulash recipe in HHA, I thought, "there's no way..." Goulash is a Hungarian recipe, but many German's make and eat it too. It's not what many American's think of goulash as (over egg noodles), but rather a beef stew of sorts with caraway and marjoram. When I was little, my mom worked as a waitress at a German restaraunt part time, and the owner/chef use to bring me huge bowls of the goulash...I LOVED it. A few years later the place closed and I hadn't had the goulash until a few years ago. When I self taught myself to cook, I knew that I had to figure out the recipe...with quite a bit of trial and error, I finally was able to recreate it. When I went veg, I was sad that I wouldn't be able to have my beloved goulash anymore. I decided to try HHA's recipe. I modified it ever so slightly (I replaced the red wine vinegar with red wine) and used the optional caraway suggestion. I was friggin blown away. It was so close to the version I was able to recreate that I couldn't believe it.

I've made quite a few recipes out of the book and each time I'm amazed at how much flavor the recipes have in them.

Another huge revelation learned from Lindsey's books, is her method of "water sauteing." It was really weird for me at first to saute in anything other than olive oil. But I tried it, and was amazed. The food cooks quicker, with more flavor, and less fat!

This book alone, has given me the confidence to eat more vegan foods...there's so much flavor, and the animal products and dairy is NOT needed.

If you can only get one vegan cookbook, make it Happy Herbivore Abroad. There's a ton of recipes that will both fill you up, satisfy your need for flavor, as well as lighten up the waist line!

Happy eating!
on March 26, 2013
I ordered this with the Everyday Happy Herbivore. I was delighted with that cookbook, but this one hasn't been as good. I enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures in the 'travelogue' portion of the book, but there are a lot of recipes that aren't really anything special. Like 'Taquitos', which is just refried beans and tortillas. I've been making that all along--no recipe required. Or 'musli', which is overnight oats--nondairy milk, oats and fruit soaked overnight. Again, I've been doing this for a long time without a recipe.

I was hoping for more authentic cuisine from around the world, and there are a few in there that look good, but I was a bit disappointed with this one.

To give her credit, it is a really pretty book!
on March 16, 2013
I very often make the recipes in Happy Herbivore but very few in this book so it's been a bit of a disappointment.

Here are a few issues I have:

1.) Lots of repeat recipes from her previous books.
2.) Many of the recipes are 1 or 2 servings.
3.) Many of the recipes are not exactly what you'd expect to be called "international": sour cream, mayo, hot chocolate, muesli (oats & nondairy milk), taquitos (canned refried beans in wheat tortillas, baked), baked french fries, etc.

Conclusion: Many recipes are good for beginners but for veteran plant based eaters many of the recipes are nothing new: hummus, tofu feta, tofu ricotta, lentil loaf, tabbouleh, etc., or terribly interesting for a cookbook with with an international theme.

The book has beautiful photos and fun stories but all in all not her best cookbook.
on January 25, 2013
As many people know, vegan foods can be highly processed and unhealthy. The greatest aspect about Happy Herbivore is that she uses plant-based recipes that are healthy and easy to make with common ingredients. As she wrote this book, Lindsay talked about being handcuffed in other countries and making healthy, vegan meals despite facing scarce ingredients. I think that should be the focus of this book, but somehow it became a celebration of worldly foods with pictures of her and her husband enjoying such unhealthy things as various alcoholic drinks, gelato, and even street-vendor french fries.

I think we all understand the difficulties we face with making vegan food here in the US, and we would have been more empathetic if the book was written with the original purpose of overcoming obstacles in a non-vegan world (especially while in other countries). This shift in focus would have also made the use of repeated recipes more digestible.

If you are new to Happy Herbivore's books, I would say try The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes first, then buy Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes next, and buy this book as a companion piece later.

PROS:
1. Easy, plant-based, vegan recipes.
2. Recipes do not use oils and few processed ingredients.
3. The meals can usually be constructed in only a few minutes.

CONS:
1. Some recipes are repeats from her previous books.
2. Some food pictures are repeats from past books as well.
3. Some recipes are bland (you have to enhance them yourself).
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I should preface this by saying that I was previously unfamiliar with the author, or her blog. I get that a lot of people are big fans, and I DID enjoy reading this.

My rating of "It's OK" is because it is just that...OK. The stories she shares about her travels are fun and interesting. But the recipes are not very exciting. A lot of them are really very basic. I do appreciate, however, that they are made using mostly easy-to-find ingredients.

I tried the Swedish Split Pea Soup recipe and found it quite bland. I understand that Ms. Nixon's food philosophy calls for no fat or salt, but still. A teeny tiny pinch of salt can go a long way.

I have sat down with the book a few times. I read cookbooks like they are novels, and I like to flag recipes I want to try. To compare, my new Cooking Light cookbook that I purchased at the same time as this book is flagged heavily. I only have two recipes flagged in this book.

If you are a big fan of her blog, or you are mostly interested in reading about her travels, which IS enjoyable, you will love this book. If you have simply stumbled upon this book while searching for vegan or healthy cookbooks, I would continue looking. I myself am still searching for a GREAT vegan cookbook.