4.0 out of 5 stars Diet Plan for the Over 40 Year Old Woman's Needs
Published 3 months ago by Talvi

3.0 out of 5 stars Bold guarantee... 7 lbs in a week really?
Published 3 months ago by D. Gambino

4.0 out of 5 stars Diet Plan for the Over 40 Year Old Woman's Needs, December 24, 2013
This review is from: Happy Hormones, Slim Belly: Over 40? Lose 7 lbs. the First Week, and Then 2 lbs. Weekly—Guaranteed (Hardcover)
Happy Hormones, Slim Belly is an easy to read book that follows up on the author's previous diet plans, this time targeting women over 40 and their special needs. The author does take pains to note that the diet is suitable for all ages and genders but especially for older women. He cites studies of how pre-menopausal and menopausal women have hormonal issues that make their cravings and weight loss a problematic endeavor when using other diet plans.

The meat of the book is both the recipes and plans. As such, this is a book suitable for those who want a full-control plan to follow where you follow a ready made plan in the beginning and transition to normal eating later. The principle of the plan is to have 'slim days' (eat low blood sugar foods) and happy days (eat fairly normally). This alternating pattern of two slim days and 5 happy days is intended to keep your body out of starvation mode (where the cravings kick in and the plan is hard to continues). You lose weight from the two days off and the other 5 days keep your body processing the food normally. And this helps transition you into every day normal good eating habits later once your body gets out of the sweet/sugar craving cycle. Also addressed are the issues of an older woman's hormones (some technical terms are used here) and how the foods chosen the plan regulate them. That also keeps the cravings down.

I found the intro sections a bit frustrating since they seemed to pretty much say the same thing over and over. It felt like someone decided the book needed filler. But that was the only negative part of the book for me.

The recipes are fairly simple and the plan easy to follow. There aren't a lot of weird ingredients and the foods every day items you'd eat anyway. You'll see a lot of familiar ingredients that tend to show up in all the latest diets but really we're talking about normal foods - no grass smoothies or such.

There's also a webpage for the book touting 'free' enrollment that promises extra recipes and such. But note that site is subscription only for $10 or so a month with only the first month free.

I feel it is an easy to follow plan since it is very specific with the foods - as long as you aren't particular about the food you eat (e.g., if you don't like fish, all comprehensive diet plans can be frustrating and you have to be prepared to substitute). But this does feel like a better plan than Weight Watchers (too much 'counting') or Jenny Craig (too much packaged foods'). The diet is set up to ease you into it, then more intermediate, and then transitioning into the future of eating well.

I would definitely recommend this for those who need a comprehensive plan and an alternative to other diets that have failed in the past.

Received as an ARC from the publisher - it was read on a Kindle and there were no issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was Not Looking For A Diet Plan..., December 27, 2013
Ok, so who wouldn't look twice at this title?!? Jorge Cruise's most recent book about healthful eating aims specifically at women over 40. This is my first experience with any of his many best-selling healthful-eating books, and I got sucked right in as his target audience. Over 40? Yep. Female? Yep! Interested in working with hormones instead of fighting and denying them? You betcha!

I learned from this book that scientific research on healthful eating plans uses male subjects because the female hormonal system fluctuates so much. This plan embraces what others have feared.

Simply put, we need to cut sugar to lose weight. (Oh, and carbohydrates really are sugars--read the book for a thoroughly understandable explanation.) But at the same time, we need more sugar than we used to, to maintain natural happy levels. (Serotonin naturally drops as we embrace this stage of life.) So, it turns out that we need to decrease what we need to add. Um...what?!?
Jorge Cruise addresses this in Happy Hormones, Slim Belly. He calls it a Women's Carb Cycling program, in which two Slim Days are followed by five Happy Days of eating. Not only are there extremely do-able and user-friendly menus, shopping lists, and recipes for a four-week regimen to get you started, but there is also a supportive and expansive online component that we can sign up for. The claim is that I can lose up to 7 pounds the first week, and 2 pounds weekly thereafter--guaranteed! In addition, it is simply a healthful eating maintenance lifestyle.

Oh, and this works for the men and families in our lives as well.

I wasn't looking for a diet plan, it's just that addressing the female fortyish fare resonated with me. After reading this, I plan to follow it as a healthy experiment.

...But not until after the holidays, as my friend Sara Tonin and I already have some girl time planned! ;)

I received this as my choice of book title from Hay House in exchange for my honest opinion of it. No hormones were harmed in the making of this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon pull all the reviews about the format it has nothing to do with the book, February 16, 2014
Come on people your gripe is with Amazon not the book you're distorting the reviews by "reviewing" the format. It's not fair to the folks looking for honest reviews nor to the author...

3.0 out of 5 stars Bold guarantee... 7 lbs in a week really?, January 19, 2014
D. Gambino (Canton, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This is an informative book and the information is interesting. The recipes are good. In reading other books about hormones and changes in women's bodies with aging. "The Core Balance Diet " and "Is it me or my Hormones?" By Marcelle Pick are much better. The eating plans are much more doable and satisfying. Eating 10 almonds for a snack in Jorge's book doesn't cut it. And did not lose 7 lbs in a week. Oh ... But I did on Marcelle's plan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great eating strategies for women, February 15, 2014
What eating strategy does Jorge Cruise, the #1 New York Times best-selling author of 19 weight-loss books, propose for those weeks when life seems overwhelming and you're at risk for diving into the first pint of ice cream that crosses your path?

It's the same plan he recommends if you're under 40 and experiencing PMS, or if you're having trouble sleeping, or if you're feeling overly anxious or irritable. It's called the Extra-Happy Meal Plan, designed to boost your serotonin levels, by separating your proteins and fats from your carbohydrate consumption by three hours. (See page 73)

In Happy Hormones, Slim Belly (Hay House), Jorge Cruise outlines various eating strategies (not the same as dieting) designed to balance hormones, fix a broken metabolism and maximize long-term weight loss.

The dilemma women over 40 face:

"Women over 40 need to both cut Sugar Calories (for weight loss) and add Sugar Calories (carbs) to repair their metabolism and balance out their hormones and neurotransmitters. How do you do both simultaneously?"
According to Jorge Cruise the answer is "Carb Cycling." This is where you eliminate sugar calories for two consecutive days per week, while eating real, non-packaged foods that are rich in protein, healthy fats and vegetables. Then for five days, you include up to 500 sugar calories per day. This program is based on research conducted at the Genesis Prevention Center at the University Hospital in South Manchester, England.

"...researchers noticed that when women in their study restricted what I call Sugar Calories in their diet for just two days a week, they lost nearly twice as much weight and body fat compared to women who ate an overall calorie-restricted diet (a Mediterranean-style diet with 1,500 calories per day) all seven days a week..."

Carb-Cycling is one of three detailed meal plans in Happy Hormones, Slim Belly, which also includes shopping lists, weekly menu plans, recipes with photos and substitutions for gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegans and various food lists (freebie foods, sugar calories per serving, etc.)

One of the recipes that I've tried and liked is the Basil Pesto Pizza (0 Sugar calories). The crust is made with cauliflower, mozzarella, oregano and garlic. I omitted the pesto as a topping and it was still fantastic!

This book is geared towards women over 40, but insightful for younger women and men too.

Happy Hormones, Slim Belly receives 4 out of 5 stars for it's easy-reading style, especially when presenting medical information and scientific research, it's detailed menu plans, and easy-to-follow recipes with photos.

I do believe that this book is worth having. What I don't like is the "guarantee" on the cover which states: "Lose 7 lbs the first week and then 2 lbs weekly --Guaranteed."

While this way of eating has been proven to reset insulin sensitivity, we all know that every body is unique and not guaranteed to respond exactly the same. So if weight-loss is your goal, don't be discouraged if you don't lose 7 lbs your first week.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new idea to me... and the plan makes good sense!, January 20, 2014
TeriA (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
When the author said that women's sugar cravings are hormone related, I said DUH! When he says that you have to cut sugar calories to lose weight but you have to eat sugar calories to balance your hormones, I wanted to know more.

His solution is what he calls "carb cycling" - a concept that remotely resembles the FAST diet but instead of limiting your total calories for 2 days each week, you restrict "sugar calories" for 2 consecutive days. (Sugar calories are nothing more than calories from carbs.)

I have always been completely about counting calories when it comes to dropping pounds... a real believer of the calories in / calories out concept. Recently though, my sis lost a ton of weight without counting calories by following the Paleo diet. It really made me think about things differently and so the timing of this book coming across my desk was perfect!

I know that I couldn't cut carbs out completely, and I'm not sure that is a healthy way to eat. I can, however, do anything for 2 days! I like the ideas that this book presents because it's new and different than anything I've seen before. There are just a few things that bugged me. It would seem more scientifically credible to me if the author hadn't already written 18 different diet books. I also am not a fan of any program that gives me meal plans to follow, but instead would appreciate guidelines so that I can modify my existing diet instead of trying to cook completely different foods. The author DOES give the numbers, so I'll be tracking my regular foods instead of following his plan. It'll be much simpler for me!

This book is intriguing enough for me to try the diet, so I'll keep you posted on how things go... It would be fab if my sugar cravings became more manageable... And it would be great to drop some weight! Regardless, I would recommend this book to any woman over 40 who is looking for something new. You'll definitely think about sugar and carbs differently after reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow this makes perfect sense!, February 24, 2014
I recently purchased this book after struggling to lose those last 20 pounds. I lost 5 pounds the first week and have lost a pound a week since following the meal plans. The meal plans, recipes, food lists, & exercise tips are easy to follow and explained so that a lay person is able to understand how and why this change in eating works. The plan is also easy to modify if you are going out to eat and since starting this my hot flashes have diminished, my cravings have stopped, & I am sleeping better at night. This is an excellent book and I don't understand some of the negative reviews. There are no weird supplements or strange foods to eat and the food to be eaten is not expensive. This was a good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 14, 2014
D. Kjoller (Sacramento,CA USA) - See all my reviews
So far(first week) I love it!! Down four and a half pounds.The recipes are fantastic.
Best food plan I've ever done.

4.0 out of 5 stars RE: WHEAT & "Wheat Belly" & "Grain Brain", December 29, 2013
Before I read the book I was hoping his plan could be used by those of us who have given up WHEAT after reading "Wheat Belly" and more recently "Grain Brain". I have not had Wheat or rather I became Free From Wheat in May 2013 and it has changed my life for the better. I have lost over 50 lbs & still going and my CRAVINGS are greatly reduced. I am down to a weight I have not been for decades. My Blood Tests have also greatly improved. Countless people on the internet have also been helped by giving up processed foods,especially those containing WHEAT.

Re:Wheat & Grains:
Even though he does allow grains on the plan, on Page 17 Jorge mentions that GRAINS are made up of a great amount of Insulin-Raising SUGAR Calories. He also talks about how to make his recipes GLUTEN Free. I still hope that someday I can get a copy on my Kindle for PCs with Windows 7. Thanks Jorge!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST "diet" I have ever tried., February 28, 2014
I have read books about many different easy eating plans that claim that they are so easy to stick to that people have lost weight and didn't feel like they were dieting. Over the years I have tried MANY of these plans and it they were very difficult to stick to. I have read books by Jorge Cruise and he has great insight into how to eat the right way for your body and they really seem doable. But I have never been so excited to start an eating plan than I was when I read Happy Hormones, Slim Belly: Over 40. What caught my eye was the "over 40" part of the title. I am now over 40 and everything that Jorge Cruise says about our hormones and craving etc. are spot on. I believe that this book will help even the people under 30 because this plan allows you to eat foods that you enjoy but he shows you how to eat these foods the RIGHT way where you do not feel deprived and you still lose weight! I didn't not want to write a review until I tried his method of eating. I learned so much from this book and the recipes are excellent! He has included recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even deserts! He labels them "Happy Days" and "Slim Days" so you know which recipes go for which days. I have not tried them all yet but the ones that I have tried are delicious. The meals are great AND we can have sugar 5 days out of the week on this plan! But the food ideas that he has in this book for the 2 zero grams of sugar days have foods that I can eat more than 2 days out of the week. I love his eating plan! I have only tried it for a few days but I am less bloated and my tight clothes feel more comfortable. This plan really works!
Jorge Cruise makes things REALLY easy by a weekly meal planner along with shopping lists for the week so this plan is a no brainer. The recipes are very simple, nutritious and delicious. I would highly recommend this book.

Disclaimer: I was not financially compensated for this post. I received the book from Hay House for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

ARRAY(0xa68bf1c8)