4.0 out of 5 stars Nutritional value is "meh," but my kid loves these things
Published on July 20, 2011 by Zachary J. Rodman

2.0 out of 5 stars Sweet flavor instead of Greens flavor
I try to buy organic when I can. These puffs received great reviews, and advertise their low sugar content. The "Greens" flavor made me think that... they will taste like greens! It seemed like a great find.

Greens-
Well, there might be "greens" in these puffs but you sure can't taste any of it.

What do they taste like?
They taste sweet- an...
Published on September 24, 2009 by G. Steber

4.0 out of 5 stars Nutritional value is "meh," but my kid loves these things, July 20, 2011
This review is from: Happy Baby Organic Puffs,Sweet Potato, 2.1 Ounce (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
Like the title of my review says, these little puffs aren't much different from run-of-the-mill Cheerios in terms of their healthiness--though they are somewhat better--but our little man (15 months old as of this date) absolutely loves them. They are pretty unsubstantial, so he can snack away on them without fear of ruining his dinner appetite. Other things that I like:

1) They're organic. I don't know how many pesticide molecules are finding their way into a box of Cheerios, but my guess is not many! Still, I like that these are organic. Every little bit helps, right?

2) They dissolve very quickly so there's never any fear of choking no matter how many he stuffs in at once.

3) The container is more convenient that a box of cereal.

4) Like I said before, my son really enjoys these.

In terms of health value, I find them to be similar to Cheerios. If you adjust for the weight or volume differences, comparing the nutritional information shows that the Cheerios have more vitamins and fiber, but also more sugar and sodium. Though none of these amounts are really significant concerns to me. For example, a half cup of Cheerios has .7g of Sugar while the HB Puffs have 0.

Now for the one negative--the real kicker--and the reason why I am giving this very good product just 4 stars. Purchasing these from Amazon (6-pack, as of July 20, 2011) will cost you about $1.47/ounce. Purchasing a 14oz box of Cheerios from Amazon on the other hand is just 21 cents/oz. The HB Organic puffs are 7X more expensive! (And of course, getting a 19lb box at Costco changes the equation further). But unless you're giving your kid a ton of these, or you're feeding multiple kids, the price difference probably isn't a deal breaker.

In conclusion, I'd try them both and see which your little sprout goes for. Can't really go wrong in either case.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sweet flavor instead of Greens flavor, September 24, 2009
G. Steber (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews

Greens-

What do they taste like?
They taste sweet- an outer coating of sweetness, followed by a rice puff flavor. I do not agree with another reviewer who says that they are "just like Cheerios".

Sugar content-
They might have only 0.5g of sugar per serving, but compared with Cheerios this is still double the sugar (those have 1 in 28g). Not that Cheerios are the measure for all baby snacks, and they are certainly not organic, but they are at least not sweet tasting.

Packaging-
You will receive a box with six plastic dispensers similar to the ones you get for wipes. Each container contains 2.1 oz (60 g) of rice puffs. The containers are so light you could think they are empty. The packaging is complete overkill.

No wonder babies may like these- they taste sweet!

5.0 out of 5 stars We call it BABY CRACK...., February 22, 2010
Berkeleybuff "buffalo girl" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
My 8 mo. old simply LOVES this stuff! It was his 1st official "finger food" so I think it's a combo of, "I can do it myself" plus it tastes good, and dissolves easy in the mouth- which is kind of important when you only have 6 teeth! Only other mom-comment here is that I wish they had a little MORE greens in it, as it's not even close to green in color, like they just waved some greens over the bowl when making it. Someone ought to sell this stuff in a mixed case...we go thru about one container every few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first snack, December 12, 2009
A. Callan (San Francisco,CA) - See all my reviews
I LOVE these snacks. Okay, not for me, for my son. He's now 16 months and has been eating them for at least 6 months. They are great first snacks when baby has no teeth to chew because they melt in your mouth. They are light and airy and really easy for baby to eat. My son recently got some his molars and wouldn't chew anything. It's was down to yogurt and the puffs. They worked beautifully. At this point, he's got enough teeth that I'm upgrading him to a little bit more crunchy food, but these puffs have been great. We've tried the banana, apple and green and he likes them all. Only bad thing is that they go stale REALLY QUICKLY!!! Gotta keep them in the container. If you put them in a snack cup, they will be stale in less than 12 hours. They turn chewy and not so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter Approved, March 1, 2009
I was very upset when I was unable to find an organic & healthier alternative to Gerber Graduate puffs. When I saw this item I was so excited because this was my answer. It was not released at the time so I had to wait.

My daughter loves these treats. We also have the banana flavored one too. The container is huge -- much larger than I expected which makes the price a bargain. I like that the container is BPA free and that the amount of sugar in this product is lower than Gerber Graduates puffs.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 9 month old loves these, March 28, 2009
Between 7 and 8 months I started my baby on Cheerios, until I found Puffs. They truly melt in his mouth and the nutritional value exceeds Cheerios. He would sit and eat Puffs all day if I let him. The banana does not have much flavor, but I also bought the apple and it have more flavor. Either way, the baby loves them the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for this family, January 2, 2012
S. Clements (Seattle Area, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
My 7 month old loves this flavor. He's just started really feeding himself last month and I've tried some other brands. Most were too firm to properly "melt" without chewing. I know, because I personally tried them before giving them to him. I looked over the ingredients before purchase. (Apparently, some of the other reviewers on here did not. Their problem, not yours/ours.) It says in red letters on the container for this flavor, just below the ingredient list: "Contains wheat. No dairy. No corn. No soy." It also says that of the flavors, only Strawberry and Sweet Potato are gluten free. If you're concerned about ingredients in the foods you give your child, it's probably a good idea to read the ingredients first.

The initial taste is a touch sweet, followed by a mild toasted flavor. Kix is the same way, only many times more intense. I like that if you just put them in your mouth and provide moisture and pressure they dissolve easily. I also like that they have the choline, and are sweetened with juice not sugar. Even if my son hated these, I'd probably snack on them myself. LOL.

There you go. Bottom line, we both like them and hope to try the other flavors as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME munchies for kids!, March 22, 2009
Amazon Customer (Upstate, SC United States) - See all my reviews
These are great! My 10 month old LOVES these, eats them all the time and even seems to like them better than Gerber puffs. I like that they melt so easily and don't have junk in them. When I first found these here, I wasn't so keen on having to get a pack of 6 because, well, what if my kid did not like them? But my son likes them a ton so very worth it. The container is bigger than I had expected, but almost completely full so good deal. I just transfer a handful into a small travel container for taking some on the go. What a great find!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great nutritious snack!, February 11, 2011
My son loves these puffs... they do have a bland vegetable infused asian rice cracker flavor... not too sweet at all :) the taste is close to baby mum-mums... definitely the least sugary baby rice puffs we have have tried. Oh and the ones i received said that the puffs contain choline-- which is a supplement like DHA that promotes brain development -- which wasn't shown here on Amazon so that was a good surprise. I will be buying this again. Shipment was super fast! thank you amazon mom prime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Get Enough Of Those Puffs!, July 16, 2009
Shauna G (Here, There, and Everywhere) - See all my reviews
My baby is in love with these puffs. When we bring out the container, he gets so excited! They melt nicely in his mouth, which is good because he sometimes likes to stuff his mouth with a few at a time. Not only are they (to my knowledge the only) organic puffs, but they also have a fraction of the sugar compared to other brands.

My baby loves the green, banana, and apple flavors. I've tasted them too (I couldn't resist), and they're not too shabby. After all, I would never feed anything to my baby that I couldn't stand to eat myself.

As far as the quantity goes, I was at first wary of buying a 6-pack. However, my baby loves these so much, that we'll definitely use them before he outgrows them or they expire.