Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 28, 2010
I got an early copy of this book and after finding so much success and wisdom's in Dr. Smith's other books, I couldn't wait to get started on HAPPY. I must tell you that right away I was taken in by this book. I don't read introductions often, but this introduction was so personal and opened up a window into Dr. Smith who I have watched on TV for many years, but didn't know much about his background. I read more than half of this book in one sitting and finished it up before I went to sleep. Once I started reading it, I simply couldn't put it down. So much of it made perfect sense and it was such an easy read. What I also love about the book is that Dr. Smith bases it on real scientific research. It's about about the real science behind happiness and what leading experts have found to be true when it comes to finding and holding on to happiness. I must admit that reading it made me see a lot of things that I've been doing wrong and it also showed me how to make small changes to start doing things right. I have had my own difficulties in life, so I have read a lot of books about being positive and living more optimistically. I must say that Dr. Smith's book is head and shoulders above the rest. Here are some of the things you learn:
The true secret of happiness isn't found in material measures of success. The secret is much simpler and closer to home. It's all about setting or re-setting your priorities, something HAPPY teaches you to do so easily. The book shows that studies reveal that happiness is 50% genetic, but 40% we can control. Dr. Smith focuses on this 40% has he gives us ways to immediately boost our happiness. He has an entire chapter dedicated to happiness boosters. I have tried most of them already and they WORK and they are so EASY!
Dr. Smith says that Happiness is found in:
* family
* community
* getting outside of oneself
* being a part of something larger
* helping others
* simple pleasures

If you're looking to change your life and improve your happiness, this book is for you. I'm so grateful for your work, Dr. Smith. You never let me down. I already feel like a new person with a new attitude. Thanks so much!!
on June 12, 2010
I am using Dr. Smith's book with clients in my psychotherapy practice. The chapter which has been most useful is the "Silver Lining" which discusses in non-psychobabble language the fundamentals of cognitive behavioral therapy. Clients have purchased his book and have read it and it has complemented my explanation of the model of cognitive therapy. The only problematic point as a therapist is his focus on increasing social/family ties to promote self-happiness, when some people are happy pursuing more solitary or different 'happy' behaviors. Clients who have read the book are concerned that they are not being happy 'in the right way.' Now, when I recommend that his book might be helpful, it is with a caveat that factors which promote his happiness may be completely different from factors that promote their happiness. For example, I have had to counter client belief that if they are not being social then they will never be happy because Dr. Smith uses his family background as a frame of reference for happiness when there are many ways of being happy. If other therapists use this book as a tool in therapy, it should be used in conjunction with Seligman's work on positive psychology. A book I would recommend in conjunction with Dr. Smith's book is "Authentic Happiness." Being 'happy' carries the ability to have a healthy sense of selfishness independent of how that selfishness is expressed as long as it is not harmful to others in one's life. Suzanne B. Yellen, Ph.D., Licensed Clinical Psychologist (IL)
on May 6, 2010
All of us go through a time in our lives when being happy just doesn't seem realistic. When I was going through my divorce, I wasn't even able to remember what that five letter word meant. I wish that I would have had a copy of this book back then.

Ian breaks the emotions down for you in an easy to understand manner that has such a positive feel to it that you can't help but feel better. Here is what you will learn from reading this book:

--How to be optimistic

--Why optimism and realism are not opposites

--How to get outside yourself

--The importance of family and community

--Why involvement leads to contentment

--Shedding the treadmill mentality of getting and spending

--Tapping the power of simple pleasures

--Mastering modern life to live in the moment

--What we can learn from the Danish people

--How to be, not just to do

Ian is a natural writer who motivates and reassures readers that they are capable of happiness by setting their mentality and not giving up. This book would make a great graduation gift. I really enjoyed this book and all the lessons it taught me.
on September 17, 2010
Happy examines the quality of life. How we live and the way we respond to life challenges impact our state of happiness. Some questions worth pondering: Is having money the key to happiness? Having quality relationship with friends and family? Traveling? Is our happiness predestined by our genetic make-up? Not only does Dr. Ian explore these questions in Happy, he provides activity sheets throughout the book to help obtain happiness in your life.

One of my favorite sections of the book is the discussion of the "rocking chair test". The "rocking chair test" is simply fast forwarding your life to the age of 80 and reflecting on the decisions you made. Are you going to be rocking in your chair thinking about would've, could've, should've or will you be rocking in your chair knowing that you have lived a life of no regrets? It all goes back to the question, "Are you living or just surviving?"

The good news is that you can make a conscious decision today to allow more happiness in your life. You can find happiness in a job you dislike, challenges you face, or juggling a busy schedule if you actively pursue it. The benefits are enormous.

According to Happy, people who are happy enjoy a better quality of life, can appreciate the simple things in life, live longer, are healthier, and have better relationships with others. If you are always negative, depressed, and believe that everything bad in life always happens to you, I encourage you to pick up this book to learn how to release the happiness in you. When you are happy, you don't make a big deal out of little things. Happiness is contagious. People will want to be around you. However, it would be unrealistic to suggest that happy people aren't prong to problems. Happy people do face obstacles but the difference is how happy people view and respond to their problems. The key is finding balance in your life.

One day we will all take our last breath. The quest is to live a life where we can be proud of the footprints we made. What will others say about you once you perish? Don't be satisfied living life pessimistically, release your happiness and start living today. If you don't know how, I encourage you to read Happy and apply the lessons and activities to your daily life. This may be the turning point you need to enjoy a life filled with happiness and quality. Know what's important to you and make the necessary changes to accomplish your goals.
on July 5, 2016
I recently read this book. I actually met Dr. Smith, and I remembered his book. He seems so down to earth, and actually happy!!! He gives back, and seems to walk the talk! I felt this book was autobiographical, I've read many wellness or self-help books, and this tops the list for sure. It's a quick read, simple guidelines for improving one's life. We can sometime over-think things, or life in general. If you're looking for a quick reference guide to daily living, reinventing your life, or how to overcome challenges give this book a try!
on January 9, 2016
Great book from diet doctor, Ian Smith!

I've read a few of his diet books and they're all great and will get you results. This book is not about dieting or losing weight. It's in a league of its own! Here, Dr. Ian Smith discusses happiness and how to achieve and maintain it. While some studies are aptly mentioned, there are also some practical steps and exercises that he has included to help you reach your own personal level of happiness. I recommend this book for everyone! :-)
on September 21, 2012
The book was very short and easy to read. It explains the basics of how to go and enjoy every day small things in order to be happy. It is not very deep, but pretty good for a light entertaining read. It surely leaves you with a positive outlook at things.
on December 5, 2010
I don't normally read this kind of book, as I have found most of them to be cliched and worthless. But Happy was a well-reasoned, scientific look at the subject of happiness and it helped me with my current depression. Smith makes a good argument for optimism and hope without exaggerating his case. For example, he does not argue money has no effect on happiness; he phrases it well: "Money can buy happiness but only to a point." He avoids cliches often used in these kind of books, e.g. You can do anything you want to... I would describe his attitude as pragmatic optimism--be hopeful within reasoIf you're looking for some inspiration, this is a fairly good book to get.
on September 13, 2012
I loved this book, easy read, totally engaging and fun at the same time. Ian has a unique skill, he invites you in and the moment you start reading the book, you want to continue to read and absorb the information.

Weight is a very touchy sensitive subject and Ian has a great approach to it. I am recommending this book to everyone out there seeking life happiness.

Thanks Ian
on July 28, 2013
Ian Smith has some great books, This is just another one of his great books I would definately recommend this book for anyone who needs a new way of looking at the simple things in life, stop wanting more, more more, More does not make us happy