on February 12, 2014
Format: Paperback
I bought this book because, after 41 years of marriage, I love the idea of hearing from other couples about their successful marriages. One never stops learning in marriage and we can certainly learn from each other's experienes. However, I found myself skipping whole sections that just went on and on about where the author walked, and what she ate, and how supportive her husband is again and again. I was expecting each chapter to be a story of a different interview. No so. I was disappointed. I would have given it two stars, but I think the idea of the book is excellent, the intention was good, but the execution leaves something to be desired. Still, I'm all for happy marriages! :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2014
Format: Paperback
In exchange for my honest review, BookLook Bloggers sent me a complimentary copy of Happy Wives Club by Fawn Weaver.

What is it all about?

I had read rave reviews about author Fawn Weaver’s popular blog, HappyWivesClub.com, which I checked out myself and signed up to receive updates. I had high hopes when I initially sat down to begin reading her book.

Fawn, a self-professed happy wife, had grown tired of hearing and seeing negative aspects about marriage all around her. On a whim, she decides to prove that good marriages exist in abundance and started an online Happy Wives Club. It was very well-received and led to the author’s real-life journey–to 12 countries on 6 continents–to interview couples about their marriages and what makes them great. The result was a New York Times Bestseller and an increase in the Happy Wives Club membership to over 600,000 members and counting from over 110 countries.

My honest opinion

I had a difficult time relating to the stories and accounts in this book. As I read the exchanges from those that were interviewed about their happy marriages, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I kept searching for a wife or a couple that reminded me of myself or my marriage. There were not any. All of the couples, including the author and her husband, expressed that their marriages were happy because they didn’t let negative things or people in, they were mirror images of each other, something life-altering had occurred to make it that way, or they never argued. Huh?

I think a happy wife and a happy marriage can exist, does exist, for many people. I don’t believe there is a specific formula or method to it. Certainly not the ones told by those interviewed. Only the two people in the marriage can make it a happy one.

Why I still applaud the book

Fawn Weaver’s desire to find happy wives and showcase them to the world did take place. Successfully. With this book, she has brought hundreds of thousands of women together for a common, positive, inspiring goal. Close to 3,000,000 have visited the website because of it. Included in the book is a separate list of 12 secrets of a great marriage that I found insightful. And so did another excerpt that rings clear to me: “Choose happiness, my friend, every day. [...] And make the choice to create the life–and marriage–of your dreams.”
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2014
Format: Paperback
Fawn Weaver shares the story of her mission to find the secrets to a great marriage. She traveled to twelve countries scattered across six continents to interview couples who are happy in their marriages. Weaver passes on the tales of her travels and the stories behind each couple, as well as their thoughts on what makes a marriage work. She found several common threads that many of the couples identified as the more important characteristics of a successful marriage such as respect, trust, belief in God, laughter, a daily ritual of connection, friendship, and taking divorce out of the equation.

This is a great book! Not only is it a book about happy marriages, but it also gives readers a glimpse into the different cultures that Weaver experiences on her travels. I think the idea behind the book is awesome; because happy, successful marriages are not only possible, they are happening all over the world.

Throughout the book, Weaver and the couples she interviewed admitted that happy marriages don't happen naturally, they take work and commitment. One couple in particular identified our disposable mindset as a society transferring into viewing marriage as a disposable endeavor. However, a happy, satisfying marriage is possible.

I think this book is great for newlyweds and couples who are overall happy in their marriage. However, I think it might not be the best book for women to read who are struggling in their marriage. This is only because it is not always helpful to read about how great marriage is when your marriage is less than happy. Furthermore, there are some biblical reasons that support divorce under certain circumstances. Aside from those couple negatives, I think this is a great book that is a wonderful resource for couples.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from BookSneeze in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
on January 8, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
What the Book is About -

Happy Wives Club by Fawn Weaver is a book about a woman who was frustrated with all the stories of housewives – desperate, Beverly Hills or otherwise who were obviously unhappy in their marriages and seemed to be the only kind of wife people ever talked about.

She believed there are happy wives everywhere, if only we look for them and those happy wives could teach all of us the secrets to a long and happy marriage.

She set out on a journey all over the world to discover what makes a great marriage work, taking into consideration different cultures, religions and ways of life.

What she found was that happy marriages from Australia to your backyard have some things in common – respect, love, humor, faith. These things don’t change with the color of your skin or the language you speak. Croatia and Mauritius are some of the beautiful exotic locations that come alive with the descriptions of the search for marriage secrets in this book. But what was most wonderful about all the places Fawn visited was that love was the same no matter where she was.

Why I loved it –

As a life coach and marriage blogger I read a lot of relationship books, self help books and how to books. This book was different. It was as much a memoir of a moment in time as an exploration of what it takes to have a healthy, happy marriage that lasts decade after decade and only gets better with time.

Fawn describes everywhere she goes in rich and beautiful detail so you feel like you are watching a secret camera while she interviews each couple, unpacks in her hotel room or has a private call with her husband back home.

The book takes you on a very physical journey all over the world and also on a very emotional journey with a woman pondering her own life and marriage and the life choices that brought her to each reflection, every lesson and experience she shares in the book.

What you will get out of reading it –

An inspiring story of love and marriage through cultures, generations and time zones. Candid, sometimes funny, sometimes heartwarming stories of what real couples do to make their marriages work. Proof that simple things we do every day truly affect the quality of our relationships long term and the inspiration and hopefully motivation to do what happy couples do – whether it’s communicating, sharing dreams, embracing the present moment or letting go and moving on whenever necessary.

Favorite quotes –
You can either feed negative thoughts or you can starve the suckers.
Connection starves suspicion.
Great marriages are made when husbands and wives don’t allow cultural expectations to dictate their life decisions or day-to-day interactions.
In a strong marriage, you are covered in strength and boldness that you’d never have on your own.
Choose your spouse daily.

Why I wrote this review –

I have actually met the author in person at a blogging conference. She is IRL (in real life) exactly as she appears on her blog or immensely popular Facebook community – passionate about her husband, positive about life and relentless in her quest to support women who want to be happy wives. Over the last year I have become one of her biggest fans and cheerleaders – if you read this book, you will understand why.

I wish a book like this existed when I was single. When I was single I would have held onto it knowing that happy marriages by real people were possible. Today as a wife, it affirms my belief and my own experience of marriage - as the biggest blessing and greatest lab in which to experience life. If you love being married or *want* to love being married, read this book, you'll be encouraged and inspired not just by Fawn but by every couple she interviews.
on May 18, 2014
Format: Paperback
I tried twice to get through this book. I am a happy wife and I love the idea of celebrating marriage and traveling the world to find out about marriages and how couples relate to one another in different cultures.

But I don't feel that this book lived up to its premise.

There was just not much interviewing and not much insight gleaned from those the author interviewed. The author went on about mundane details that weren't necessary. As another reviewer stated, tell us less about unpacking your clothes and more about wives, marriage, or even cultural differences regarding relationships and marriage.

Also, this was a little sappy. As she described her relationship with her husband I found myself rolling my eyes. She talks about how people would think they're still dating because they talk constantly and are always holding hands and gazing into one another's eyes- that's sweet, but is not the only evidence of a happy marriage.
on May 30, 2014
Format: Paperback
I really wanted to like this book. I really did. But I found myself extremely bored with her over-descriptive style of writing. I found myself saying "who cares" throughout a majority of the book. I just didn't care if her ankle hurt from walking several miles or if she pulled out her souvenir umbrella because it was raining. I'm flabbergasted that this book has been rated so highly. Maybe I'm missing something.

I loved the premise, and was hoping to glean some wisdom from long-time, happily married couples. Yet, I didn't take anything away that would be helpful in my own marriage. I grew tired of her sappy perspective and rolled my eyes through most of the book. Talking about how you 'miss your hubby so much' doesn't tell anyone anything about how to resolve difference, make compromises, or pretty much anything that could be construed as helpful for the wives out there, happy or otherwise. And for the record, I am a happy wife.
Format: Kindle Edition
This book is the adventures and journey of Fawn Weaver out to discover the secrets to a truly happy marriage.

Opening the pages of the book, I was immediately drawn in to Fawn's descriptions and easy way with words. She wastes no time getting to the heart of things and I was soon swept away with the different places she went, the wives she met and their stories. Along the way, not only do we get to know wives all over the world, but we get to know Fawn and about her relationship with her husband and their own happy marriage. I enjoyed reading about her, her life, and all her hopes and dreams.

Throughout each chapter, each country visited, and each wife interviewed, I was able to take something away about marriage. I learned that every marriage is different, every marriage takes work, and every marriage has it's own unique secret to staying healthy and happy.

In this book, you will both laugh and cry as you are swept up in the stories of women all over their world and read about their secrets to a happy marriage. This book is truly life changing, and I hope it changes the world.

Some favorite quotes from the book:

"Creating a happy marriage begins with choosing the right spouse."

"If you can figure out how to choose happiness in your marriage daily, and stop sweating the small stuff, it'll take ten years off your life."

"Like most complicated things where it's easy to get derailed, their marriage was successful because they mastered the basics. From that mastery they could weather anything."

"Happy marriages are alive and well. The cries of their demise have been highly overrated, and couples happily married do indeed exist."
on February 14, 2014
Format: Paperback
I wanted more of the meat of her conversations with these women, and less of how she likes to unpack and fold her clothes in a hotel room. The narrative really dragged. I kept skimming the book looking for quotation marks so I could get to what the long-married Happy Wives had to say. I am about to get married and I was really excited to read this book, but I'm returning it mostly unread. I gave it probably 30 minutes of my time but was disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 7, 2014
Format: Paperback
I don't consider myself a huge reader but when I picked up this book, I could hardly put it down. I felt as if I was sitting at a table with a friend talking over coffee. It was so inspirational and so encouraging. I have been married for almost nine years and I wish I had had this book when I was a newlywed! Its not a self-help book but a collection of stories from couples who have been happily married from around the world. It was amazing to see that the core elements to having a happy marriage are universal and were seen in each story around the globe. I would highly recommend this book and will definitely be sharing this book with friends and family!
Format: Paperback
As like most others - I REALLY wanted to like this book. Has a wonderful premise & I thought it was going to be fantastic. She spent way too much time explaining the mundane things over her plate of lasagna in Italy, and how she unpacked her suitcase. She went on tons of interviews with couples and a majority were all the same thing - however, it would've been nice to get more of a story on the couples than her travel experience on the longest flight ever. I agree the commentary about missing her husband got eye rolls from me as well. Really wished I could've enjoyed this book more. Has a very great thought, but just didnt deliver..