5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Compilation Covering 1972-1988
Published on September 18, 2012 by S. Paradoa

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Find 45s The Love Album
The audio quality on this release and others from this label are superior, but hardly hard to find, for most tracks on this album. They need to go back to why I bought their releases in the first place--really hard, or impossible, to find tracks from especially the 50s. Some tracks here are not top 40 hits.
Published on January 3, 2013 by Jerry Hodge

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Compilation Covering 1972-1988, September 18, 2012
S. Paradoa (Miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard To Find 45s On CD Volume 14 (70s & 80s Pop Classics) (Audio CD)
Another terrific set of 19 stereo songs this time covering 1972-1988 including for the first time anywhere the single edits of "The Captain Of Her Heart" by Double and "Whispering/Cherchez La Femme/Se Si Bon" by Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band. Over ten pages of informative liner notes and great sound with some songs that are hard to find on CD these days like "I Love You" by the Climax Blues Band and "Living Next Door To Alice" by Smokie. The appeal of these CD releases by Eric Records is they feature the correct versions (edits, mixes, lengths) of the hit 45s as originally released and heard on the radio (and from the master tapes). So even "Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary MacGregor sounds better on this disc than any other prior releases (some of which sound like used vinyl instead). I'm glad I got my copy for my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTF 45s Vol. 14, September 21, 2012
What a great collection of songs! As much as I loved Vol. 13, I like this one as much or more. It Never Rains In So. Cal. has been around for quite a while but has never sounded as good as this. Imagine my surprise when I saw one of my favorite motivational songs: Break My Stride. I haven't heard this since I listened to it on my 45 when it first came out. Great song. Taco's Puttin' On The Ritz is a very unusual song and stands up on it's own when compared to Fred Astaire's version. Champaign's How About Us probably should have been included on Vol.13 but I'm just as happy it's here. The Captain Of Her Heart is one of the songs that was at the beginning of the Smooth Jazz movement and sounds just great. And how about one of my all time favorites, Cool Night by the late Paul Davis. Great sound and probably could have been a great fit on Vol. 13. It's available on his greatest hits CD but sounds much better here, more bass. Key Largo has always been one of my favorites and makes you want to cuddle up with your favorite one. I Love You is a song I haven't heard in quite a while and thoroughly enjoy. And what about that great Sax on Baker Street? Wow! One of those songs that stays in your head a long time. Easy Lover is another great song from the 80's. I'm basically a 50's, 60's 70's guy but the songs here are pure enjoyment. The sound is phenomenal. I very highly recommend both Vol. 13 & 14. Great job Bill and Co.

5.0 out of 5 stars High marks all the way around on this one!, September 20, 2012
Now this is more like it! In September 2012 Eric Records issued two more volumes of its extremely popular "Hard To Find 45's on CD" series. "Volume 14: 70's and 80's Pop Classics" offers up a total of 19 tantalizing tunes for your listening pleasure. It is an eclectic mix of some the biggest and brightest pop songs of that era. The song selection is simply outstanding and the sound quality second to none. I have to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed each and every tune on this disc.

The collection kicks off with singer/songwriter Albert Hammond's bouncy 1972 Top Ten hit "It Never Rains In Southern California". Frankly I had not heard this one for quite some time and now I cannot seem to get it out of my head. A true pop classic! A couple of years later Alan O'Day came out of nowhere to score a #1 hit with "Undercover Angel". This tune is extremely hard to come by and I was happy to see it included in "Volume 14: 70's and 80's Pop Classics". Fan of 1970's pop music will also be pleased to discover that this collection includes a number of other terrific singles including J.D. Souther's "You're Only Lonely", Mary McGregor's #1 hit recording of "Torn Between Two Lovers" and Gerry Rafferty's signature tune "Baker Street" which went all the way to #2 back in 1978. That one features one of most memorable saxophone riffs in the history of rock and roll! Meanwhile, I was thrilled to see that one of most bizarre singles of this or any other decade for that matter was also included in this collection. According to the liner notes "combining the 1930's big band music of artists like Cab Calloway with slick disco beats, Latin percussion, and a carefully cultivated retro image, Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band struck gold with the dance hit 'Whispering/Cherchez La Femme/Se Si Bon'". Very unusual but extremely intoxicating......I love it!

I have always been of the opinion that the 1980's was a much better decade for music than the rather lackluster 1970's. The proof is in the pudding and of the 19 tunes featured on "Hard To Find 45's on CD, Vol 14: 70's and 80's Pop Classics" a total of 11 are from the 1980's. Now if I had to cast a vote for the best single of the decade I would without hesitation choose Philip Bailey's rousing duet with Phil Collins "Easy Lover" from 1984. This was not only one of the top radio hits of the decade but also one of the most popular videos in the early days of MTV. I never tire of this tune and I was thrilled to see it included here. Also high on my list for best songs of the decade are Matthew Wilder's "Break My Stride", Bertie Higgins "Key Largo" and Bruce Hornsby and the Range's #1 smash "The Way It is" from 1986. Each of these songs sound every bit as fresh and exciting today as they did a quarter century ago and all are featured in this collection. And a big thumbs up for the decision to include Champaign's smooth and mellow 1981 hit "How 'Bout Us". This is another song that is extremely difficult to come by on compact disc. Also, I would be remiss if I failed to mention the inclusion of Taco's fabulous 1983 version of Irving Berlin's "Puttin' On The Ritz". Once again, this is one of my favorite singles of the decade.

"Hard To Find 45's on CD, Vol 14: 70's and 80's Pop Classics" offers a robust 72 minutes of music. I was extremely impressed with the song selection and I thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of the 19 tracks. This is a disc I will enjoy for many years to come. Once again the sound quality was fabulous and as always I appreciate the 12 page booklet that features extensive liner notes and photos. This collection is top drawer in every respect and underscores the fact that Eric has become one of the best reissue labels in the world. Kudos to everyone who put this one together. Very highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard To Find 45's Vol 14, October 16, 2012
Alan Carner (Fort Smith, Ar United States) - See all my reviews
Not much more I can say about this cd than what has been said in the other reviews. This is another excellent release by Eric Records. Every song is in stereo and the correct single version of the song. The sound quality is as good as it will ever be. I have the entire series of Hard To Find 45's and look forward to more cd's. There are very few cd companies left to offer us collectors and music lovers good releases. Support Eric Records so we can have more more more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Find 45s The Love Album, January 3, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this CD!, April 9, 2014
I ordered this CD from Amazon.com a couple weeks ago. And received it in the mail last week. It is so awesome to hear songs of the 70's and 80's. Long lost hits that you rarely ever hear on the radio anymore. It is so great to be able to purchase these CD's on Amazon.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Find is appropriate name, November 1, 2012
Having collected all of the Hard To Find 45's series so far I have not been disappointed. The sound quality is good and the selections they are coming up with are truly "Hard To Find"

5.0 out of 5 stars hard to Find 45s on cd Volume 14, March 29, 2014
Many very good familiar songs on this CD for people of my era. Music is crisp and well done by original artists. I welcome this CD into my collection. Well worth the cost. Rick C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard-To-Find 45s On CD, Volume 14 (70s & 80s Pop Classics), January 7, 2014
This volume had a lot of good songs on it. I own quite a few volumes of Hard-To-Find 45s On CD and this one lived up to my expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Collection of Elevator Suitable Music, November 3, 2013
This is another CD that I purchased directly from Bill Buster's ERIC Records, due to special pricing, including free shipping. First off, the one track considered to be a first time release on CD of the "single" version of "Whispering/Cherchez LaFemme/Se Si Bon" by Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, listed as being 3:38 minutes long, the actual 45 single was 3:33 minutes. 5 seconds, big deal. The longer LP version is preferable, which was also released on the radio station promotional 45. Most of us that listenned to FM radio in the 70's heard primarily the LP version. Kinda rare on CD also is Gloria Loring's only hit, and a monster hit ranking at #2, a duet with another unknown, Carl Anderson, "Friends and Lovers" . The song was made famous through it's inclusion in a T.V. soap opera. Gloria's only previous claim to fame was enduring a marriage to the obnoxiously iritating Canadian Alan Thicke. This is a pretty decent CD collection of music, being suitable for being played in elevators and clothing store dressing rooms.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›