Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hard Landing (A Dan Shepherd Mystery)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on January 19, 2013
The first Dan Shepherd story. Not really my sort of book being something of a man's action story. However it was so good! Spider Shepherd is an undercover policeman who is in a category A prison trying to worm his way into the confidence of a drug dealer on remand. The drug dealer is systematically getting rid of anyone who is likely to give evidence at his upcoming trial.
The writing is excellent and builds up a tense atmosphere to the point that it was almost hard for me to read. At times my heart was racing and I had to stop reading for a while to recover. I will be looking out for the next book in the series.
on June 27, 2015
This novel was my introduction to the works of Stephen Leather and I'll definitely be reading more. Going undercover in prison is no walk in the park but Spider Shepherd does it well and realistically, all while juggling a family tragedy. Superb writing, gritty and real. If you haven't read Stephen Leather yet do yourself a favor and get this book. You can thank me later.

I've already purchased more Spider Shepherd thrillers.
on November 24, 2015
This story was my introduction to Stephen Leather and I'll definitely be reading more. I liked the character Spider Shepherd. I liked most his teaming up with his former SAS team. Great sense of humor there. I think the undercover assignment was realistic. I thought it was great writing. I had to get used to the UK terms/slang since I'm used to American authors. I really enjoyed the book and highly recommend it. I'm buying the rest in this series as well as other books by this author.
on February 7, 2006
This is a well written and enjoyable thriller that one is keen to plough through in good time. Although not exactly full of surprise or suspense it is engaging from the start. There is one shocking twist but it is largely immaterial to the main storyline so arguably pointless.

My only real criticism of the book is the terrible proof-reading. It is literally filled with typos, so much so that it becomes distracting towards the end of the book.

That said, an entertaining read.
on January 20, 2013
The master craftsman at work producing a believable hero living in the real world and achieving plausible results
Spider has depth of character ,detailed description of his characteristics and behavior consistent with his type and is effortessly likable .The plot is original intelligent and sophisticated.Some passages are a bit too long but this is the cost of mixing litterature with adrenaline
D V KOKKINOS
on October 21, 2013
I have read quite a number of Stephen Leather's booke and this one is equal to the others. Spider Shepherd is a tough undercover cop with a prime desire to uphold the law and put away the bad guys. His work often makes it very hard on his wife and young son.
on January 28, 2013
Very good start of the Dan "Spider" Shepherd franchise. I like the direct and fast paced way to write of Stephen Leather, and the way he managed to create memorable characters, such as Dan, or Gannon, etc. The plot is very solid and Sephen obviously did a lot of research in the British penitenciary, sas, and police system.
on April 2, 2014
This book of Mr Leathers is a typically masterful work that commences with intrigue and sustains, and even builds up more tension, as the characters are continually developed by a master of the genre.
The plotting is so unforeseeable (at least for me) that I felt like I was being taken on a journey on a train that was running of a the top of a high plateau, but even believing that to be true, II could not get off!.
Do not expect to be able to put it down easily or for long.
on September 14, 2014
Great thriller and start to a series featuring Dan 'Spider' Shepherd. As an undercover cop in a prison, Shepherd really puts himself in danger and I found myself turning pages quickly to see the outcome of each event. Thoroughly enjoyed this and am looking forward to reading more of the series.
on November 16, 2014
Awesome drama about prison life and espionage. I was completely engaged once Spider was revealed. I give it 4 stars because the middle of the book seemed really slow. It does make sense though, being locked in a prison and all. This book made me become a die-hard Stephen Leather fan.