Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on May 5, 2014
I'll start with a bit just to let some of you know who all we are dealing with:

Hard Working Americans is an American rock supergroup formed in 2013. The band consists of singer Todd Snider, bassist Dave Schools from Widespread Panic, Neal Casal of Chris Robinson Brotherhood on guitar and vocals, Chad Staehly of Great American Taxi on keyboards and Duane Trucks, younger brother to Derek on drums.[1]

Their debut performance was December 20, 2013 at a Boulder, CO benefit for Colorado Flood Relief.[2] They embarked on a US Tour shortly thereafter.

Their self-titled debut album Hard Working Americans was recorded in 2013 at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA. It is comprised entirely of cover songs from artists ranging from Randy Newman to Drivin N Cryin. The album was produced by Schools and Snider, and was mixed by John Keane. John Popper guests on harmonica. Hard Working Americans was released on January 21, 2014 on Thirty Tigers/Melvin Records.

Alright...if you have never heard of any of these guys its because you are gettin' your new music from the wrong sources...I.E. your local corporate radio regurgitator. This disc will help cure that.

Because this is an album of covers done by some of the best in the biz all we can rate is the performance and delivery. The musicianship on this record is beautiful and tight without being an overproduced nightmare and yet the songs are fresh and raw as if they were being performed by the artists who composed them but in an alternate lifetime. If you want something exceptional that will grow on you, and stands apart from the crowd of garbage heard everywhere. This is that record.
on February 12, 2014
I love this album. Todd has selected some of his favorite songs to cover and the band has made them their own. They arranged the songs to tell a story. Here is a track list with the original songwriter:

"Blackland Farmer" by Frankie Miller
"Run a Mile" by Dan Herron and Chuck Mead
"I Don't Have a Gun" by Will Kimbrough and Tommy Womack
"Wrecking Ball" by Gillian Welch
on February 11, 2014
This record is in the same category as Elvis Costello's "Almost Blue" and Lyle Lovett's "Step Inside This House": a popular artist leaving a trail of bread crumbs back to their less well known influences. In this case, the Amerricans are doing songs by Gillian Welch, Drivin' and Cryin', and Bottle Rockets, among others. The price is right and the sentiment is noble; however, none of these versions improve on the originals.
55 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2014
Love Todd Snider, I buy anything the guy puts out so for $6 I figured I would take a chance. Not disappointed. As other people have mentioned these are all covers but since I have never heard any of them before they are new to me. This record is fun and in the case of "Straight to hell" moving, all the way through. Not one bad track. I hope they tour because I would love to see these guys live. Help out some hard working Americans and buy this record.
on January 21, 2014
This is a delightful album featuring an all star cast of top notch musicians performing tunes by some of America's most talented songwriters. The songs meld seamlessly together, drawing the listener into a cleverly crafted storyline. From the highly addictive, hell raising Stomp and Holler, written by Hayes Carll, to the hauntingly mesmerizing Down to the Well, written by Kevin Gordon, this album is one of those you will be playing over and over in your head long after your first listen. Featuring the exceptionally gifted Todd Snider, Dave Schools, Neal Casal, Chad Staehly and Duane Trucks.
on May 23, 2014
All the songs are covers but I like em all. It did take me a few listens to get to that point. Wrecking Ball from Gillian Welch - is one of my Favorites, Run a mile is great.....and on and on and on...
on March 8, 2014
I heard a review of this album on NPR and decided to buy it. It is very good. The feel of the band is tight and the songs are all good. I read somewhere that all the songs are covers as if that were a negative or a shortcut taken by the band. Unless you are a hard core alt country fan I doubt you would notice. The music is played with real commitment, the vocals a very good and there is a quality to the music that makes you want to listen over and over. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because the music doesn't break any new ground or reveal great ambition. It is just great American music.
on January 30, 2014
Well produced and tight, this is a good album of covers by the band fronted by Todd Snider. Todd pretty much only sings here, leaving the rest of the band to shine. It's not 5 star, but pretty dang good. Love "Stomp and Holler."
on February 10, 2014
I had no idea who Todd Snider was when I bought this album, but I quickly had to find out. There is no doubt that HWA is comprised of some world-class musicians, but Snider's raspy growl is the show stealer on this album. For a group of covers, the songs on this eponymous record flow together rather nicely, and, in fact, before I realized they were covers, I thought that Snider must be one heck of a lyricist as well a great singer. The music is foot-stompin' and swampy and extremely well played rock 'n' blues with some folk thrown in for good measure, but the reason I will go back to this album time and again is because of the unique and almost hypnotizing way Snider's vocal delivery works with each tune. Highly recommended.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2014
Many people already knew who todd snieder was, and I did not, but now I do. A Great singer. I bought this because Dave Schools (bass) he is apart of one of the greatest touring bands of all time Widespread Panic so I got it because he has teamed up with these Hard Working Americans to produce one hell of a rock band. The other guy are well established in there area of expertise aswell. I hope to hear more albums as long as Schools stays with Panic too. Anyways I couldnt get enough I played it 3 times in a row first sitting. I still havent got my vinyl yet cant wait to spin it, just listening to the auto rip that comes with it. If you like this type of music you should add it to your collection fo sure.