5.0 out of 5 stars Another home run for Hardball Times
This year's is another must-have for the more-than-casual baseball fan.

Published on December 7, 2012 by Standard Poodle

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting look at the upcoming season
This book is certainly a resource that I would recommend to baseball fans, but I feel that it lacks the depth of other publications such as Baseball Prospectus. It certainly has interesting statistics and it is chock full of information, but there is a certain element that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me prefer BP to this book.
Published 10 months ago by Josh H.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another home run for Hardball Times, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Hardball Times Annual 2013 (Paperback)
This year's is another must-have for the more-than-casual baseball fan.

All of the articles are well written and informative, and run the gamut from math-oriented to history. There is the usual smart-aleck year-in-review, a great look at the 2012 A's which highlights the touch of Billy Beane, a (necessarily) sad article about the collapse of the Red Sox and a GM in-a-box of the White Sox' Kenny Williams, the same style as Bill James used in his book on managers.

You will also find an assessment of Satchel Paige's career, including MLE's for his last years in pro ball when he was (unfairly as the numbers indicate) stuck in the minors. Talk about a man poorly served by MLB . . . There's an interesting article on the effects of "Tommy John" surgery (I think Tommy should be in the Hall for this alone - the long career is a bonus!) on pitchers, and a lengthy one on Horace Stoneman's (when was the last time his name came up?)contribution to the game. How about an analysis of umpire's strike zones? Great!

There are so many articles, all of which I found interesting and having merit, that I must stress this is the tip of the iceberg.

The plethora of authors keeps things moving, and leads to at least one interesting difference of opinion: in the Tommy John surgery article the author concludes the Nationals were right in the Strasburg decision, while in the ethics article the author is highly critical of it. This gives you something to think about, and isn't that what we want from a baseball book?

Really, the complaint that I have is that I could easily justify paying more for an even longer book (maybe I am in a minority as things do need to be consumable to the masses); for example articles on every team like the ones on the A's and Red Sox.

That's the problem: no matter how much is here, I want more. Hey, if that's the complaint, they are doing great. I love it and I believe you will too. If you don't, it will give you something to think and argue about, and that works too! Great job, Hardball Times!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Double-Play of Baseball Analysis ... But You Won't Be "Put Out", December 12, 2012
Length:: 7:51 Mins

This is my video review of The Hardball Times Baseball Annual 2013. If you don't like my voice, or can't watch video at work, I've summarized it here in the text.

This year, Hardball Times has teamed up with the best writers from FanGraphs for a double-play of analysis. The combo works.

Best improvement: The Word Series is in the annual. For the past few years, the Annual only covered the regular season (though you could download bonus post-season content). Come on, guys, some of us don't even pay attention until October! This year there's a full recap of the playoffs and the World Series. Good call, THT!

All right, favorite articles: First is easily Matt Swartz's follow-up to his great piece last year on free agents, "Bargain Hunting in the Free Agent Market." Matt made a convincing case last year that teams keeping players get better deals than teams acquiring players, likely due to information asymmetry (teams know the value of their own free agents better). This year, he looks back at the best free-agent bargains and suggests a way for teams to beat that asymmetry, particularly for pitchers, by focusing on DIPS.

Other favorites this year: "The Curious Case of the Washington Nationals," in which business and sports-management grad and college students compete to see who can best run the Nats at the trade deadline. "Ethics and Major League Baseball" is an engrossing piece that confronts a hard truth about baseball and society: Being an "ethical" baseball player means something different in each era. And next is a phenomenon about which I was totally ignorant--no, not ethics, I'm talking about the "The Stanford Swing," which gets an in-depth analysis to decide whether it's real or another baseball myth. Perennial funny-guy Craig Calcaterra's "The Year in Frivolity" usually makes me smile, but his running gag about Chipper Jones retiring "to spend more time with his knees" made me laugh so hard I snorted my morning coffee.

I also enjoyed the analysis of which umpires call the most strikes in "Examining Umpire Strike Zones." I'm intrigued by the idea (raised by another reviewer) of examining the same question with Pitch F/X, but that would be impossible for this piece because it stretches back before the invention of Pitch F/X. And the "GM In a Box" feature is back, and nice, but this year it's not about Theo Epstein. That's unfair, but there it is. Still, Kenny Williams was a good choice to put under the microscope, and I feel like I know him well enough now to fake my way through his next holiday party.

A few words about format: The new, smaller trim-size is more portable (easy to read on the train). The sidebars from last year are gone--I was a fan of those, but then I am the sort of person who reads academic papers for their footnotes. And the appendix of stats has been replaced by more articles; this is a good call, although the one thing I miss is the "quirky" stats. Here's hoping they return next year.

Finally, I have to say that I miss "Tuck Sez." Those comics always made me smile. Tuck, if you're reading this, come back to work!

5.0 out of 5 stars First time buying, February 9, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this publication. The book takes you through the past season and was a nice touch. I'm unaware if this is something that the authors usually do as this was my first time purchasing one of their publications. I was able to get through the book quickly due to the authors not overwhelming with too many statistics. Definitely helped expand my understanding of baseball. I read Fangraphs' articles on their website and I find they put out quality work.

This past season I fell back in love with baseball and I was looking for a publication to get me through the offseason. I received this book for Christmas, and I'm glad I left numerous hints around the house as the book was a great gift. By no means do I fully understand the sabermetric side of the sport, but I'm getting there, and this was an easy read for a newbie.

No issues with shipping/tracking, received the order as I should.

5.0 out of 5 stars It keeps getting better, February 3, 2013
david schau (Charleston, West Virginia) - See all my reviews
A thoughtful look at baseball from of the best minds. Analysis of all aspects of the game are inciteful. Look forward to it every year

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Analysis, Great Writing, December 30, 2012
J. Runde (Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardball Times Annual 2013 (Paperback)
Actually, the headline sums up my reaction. More than its predecessors, the 2013 Annual makes some of the supposedly difficult SABRmetrics accessible, enlightening, and fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting look at the upcoming season, February 25, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, Insightful, Well Written, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Hardball Times Annual 2013 (Paperback)
Well balanced and up to date. Whether your interests are on the personal side of baseball, the performance or in evaluating team management, this is invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baseball reviewed, May 28, 2013
Great summary of the year. Fascinating studies of baseball looked at from a mathematical viewpoint. It was very well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, February 17, 2013
This review is from: Hardball Times Annual 2013 (Paperback)
Good read. Lots of case studies about relevant contemporary topics in baseball. Provides an interesting prospective about the upcoming year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baseball Reading, February 9, 2013
F. Koester (Annandale, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hardball Times Annual 2013 (Paperback)
Great reading for the off season. Items on things not always considered as well as plain old good reading. Really enjoyed it and always order it.

Hardball Times Annual 2013
Hardball Times Annual 2013 by Dave Studenmund (Paperback - November 15, 2012)
$15.99 $14.39
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.