Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2010 10:23:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2010 10:26:23 PM PDT
Seriously how awesome is that going to be?? Who's all going to play it on that mode when they get their hands on it?

An optional Hardcore mode delivers more realism and intensity into the gaming environment. As gameplay difficulty is increased; players are encouraged to implement effective strategies, make careful considerations in resource management and combat tactics, and pay high attention to the surrounding environment. The features that increase gameplay difficulty are as follows

Healing over time rather than instant healing
Healing of crippled limbs requires a high medicine skill and medical equipment
Ammunition has weight
Currency has weight
Requirement of water consumption to avoid dehydration and eventual death
Requirement of food consumption and sleeping to avoid starvation and sleep deprivation
No fast-traveling

Linked from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_New_Vegas

Man I wish they did this on RDR...

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 4:48:49 AM PDT
CROWNED ONE says:
I think I will play this. Although I wish they would keep fast-travel in that section. But then, it would make traveling alot more dangerous and fun.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 6:09:34 PM PDT
Yea I was kinda let down with the no fast travel thing aswell but I understand why they took it out, I mean if im out in the wasteland dying of hunger/thirst and two broken legs I can't just teleport back to base...Hardcore :P

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 4:53:15 AM PDT
CROWNED ONE says:
It will make playing the game very stragetic. I know on Fallout 3 I would just go into some areas gunning it out. Now you will most def. need a very balanced character, because awareness and stealth are going to play a big part in hardcore mode.

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 1:22:05 AM PDT
I love everything about Hardcore mode except the "no fast traveling". That will easily take a 20-40 hour main storyline and make it about 600+ hours. Running all the way to places (which you usually just grab something and run back) is going to take a LONNNNNGGGGGG time.

I will definitely have a hardcore mode character, I just don't see him finishing ever.

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 8:44:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2010 8:44:58 AM PDT
Heh, same here.

Although I do plan on at least trying to, if only for that 100-point achievement. Can't pass that up, though it'll likely be on my second playthrough.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 5:55:08 PM PDT
I guess the no fast traveling thing really doesn't bother me that much because I barely used it in Fallout 3. I was always exploring and finding new things on the way back to a town. I can understand why it would be a pain in the ass though, but remember you can always switch between game modes in-game unless you want that trophy :P

I agree with you Crowned one, I think the difficulty will force you to make very careful choices with your character build. I can see a lot of restarting and thrown controllers in my Fallout: New Vegas future and I can't wait :D

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 7:35:50 AM PDT
Cant wait for this mode, i actually enjoy the fact of no fast travel for a longer game play, love it when games carry 100+ hours. Running through fallout 3 with thousands of ammo on me made it a lil easy, now you'll be limited on how much you can carry, this is what i'm looking forward to is how i'm going to manage my character and play the game. Its going to be rough, but oh man i cant wait for the realism of the hardcore mode.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 9:24:38 AM PDT
Andrew Cruze says:
No fast travel is a bonus for me. I've always thought fast travel was a convoluted concept, but I couldn't help myself from taking advantage of it in Oblivion and Fallout 3. I'm trying to get out of the habit, though, because I enjoy exploring the game worlds I'm in. In RDR, I rode everywhere and never used the taxi system. It didn't drag the game down; it elevated the experience.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 10:39:59 AM PDT
C. Burton says:
I didn't know it wouldn't have fast travel i don't think Ill play it on hardcore first. Playing on medium will allow me to really enjoy on my first playthrough then go for the grinding.

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 7:58:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2010 7:59:08 AM PDT
As Stewart pointed out, if they allowed fast travel it would defeat the purpose of hardcore mode to begin with. I, for one, am going full on hardcore mode, it's the new feature I'm most excited about. I never used fast travel in Fallout 3 anyway, and I'm glad I didn't, often I would find secrets hidden in places I had passed through multiple times before.

I'm also thrilled that they added back in weapon modding (like Fallout 2 had), will have "stupid" speech options for low intelligence characters and there is only one invulnerable NPC (again, like the original two Fallout games). This looks set to be every bit as epic as Fallout 3 and well worth dropping 100+ hours in.

I'm going in for the CE, even though the deck of cards and poker chips weren't a sale for me, the hardcover comic and making-of DVD are must haves. I've done the poker and blackjack thing to death this year with Red Dead Redemption anyway. Still, it'll be cool to have a gambling themed city in Fallout again...which promises to be even bigger and busier than New Reno from F2.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2010 4:11:11 PM PDT
Yea it would totally ruin the atmosphere they were trying to create, I can understand people being let down with the no fast travel option.

People play games diffrently though, I find now that I'm getting a bit older and have bills to pay and whatnot I try to try and get the most out of my games before going onto the next one and Hardcore mode will allow me do this. It will keep me playing well into the 100+ hour mark which will satisfy my gaming needs for a long time to come. Also it will present a fun challenge, where I actually need to think and play tactically instead of being gung-ho and striding into the centre of battle, and lastly will be wallet friendly which will keep me in the good books with the wife :D

Posted on Oct 16, 2010 6:36:38 PM PDT
While you can fast travel in Hardcore Mode, you can't if the time it would take to get you there would result in the player dying from dehydration/exhaustion/starvation.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/14/your-fallout-new-vegas-ps3-questions-answered-hardcore-mode-morality-combat-and-more/

this was posted OCT 14th Its from the playstation blog so i think it's legit, hope this helps those of you concerned bout the lack of fast travel on hardcore mode, tuesday can't come soon enough!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 7:49:10 PM PDT
S. Sigle says:
I am pretty sure it is. It makes it more realistic, fast travel that has consequences, and may not work at all if too far away, guess you could do mini fast travel, like bus stops almost, go to one place stop eat go to next rinse repeat.

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 2:22:19 PM PDT
Also, I was looking at some of the new consumable items for "New Vegas" (there wasn't much info), but I noticed that drinking soda like Nuka-Cola and Sarsaparilla in Hardcore Mode has two additional effects:

1. The caffeine boost can stave off the effects of sleep deprivation.
2. It dehydrates the player.

There's also a new drink called "Nuka-Cola Victory." This one doesn't dehydrate the player. Given that it doesn't dehydrate, and the name "Victory," I'm figuring that it's Fallout's version of Gatorade.

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 2:47:11 PM PDT
OMG!!!! Ok now I really am going to have to play on Hardcore mode...this is going to be AMAZING!!!!

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 6:34:16 PM PDT
Seeing as I only play these games once because I usually do everything...I'll play hardcore...oohhh man ... if fallout 3 could get scary...my goodness...New Vegas is going to be a nightmare..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2010 10:26:08 PM PDT
Bandsaw vigilante:

That sounds really cool, they really put a lot a lot of effort into hardcore mode I hope a lot of people appreciate their effort, I for one can't wait to sink my teeth into this mode. I feel sorry for my poor soon to be neglected wife :P

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2010 10:31:45 PM PDT
Andre:

playing on this mode will ramp the terror way up, one mistake and your screwed, the realism will make those dark ghoul infested tunnels all the more terryfying.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2010 10:33:09 PM PDT
I know!!! My store is having a midnight launch I will be out of work at 11:30pm and will be heading straight for my copy :D

Posted on Oct 20, 2010 2:48:04 PM PDT
So far ive been finding hardcore mode quite...easy. It's a great experience though and it really enhances the game to more of a simulation than an action RPG, this is the way fallout should be played. How's everyone else doing now it's finally been released?

Posted on Oct 20, 2010 6:09:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 21, 2010 7:19:21 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 23, 2010 4:50:35 PM PDT
Well Stewart...I am glad you asked...I FREAKING LOVE THIS GAME!!! All the idiots out there who were looking for a video game revolution with this title can go to hell. This game keeps what was great about Fallout 3 and expands upon the idea just enough. Hardcore mode does feel more like a sim than an Action/RPG but its still worth every penny I paid..

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 9:13:56 PM PDT
dvs1MLG says:
F3NV is great. I overlooked the "Hardcore" aspect at first, thinking it would take away the fun from the game. But now I can't wait to get off work and create a new character. Ugh. Only 8 hours and 48 1/2 minutes left.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Sep 19, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fallout: New Vegas - Playstation 3
Fallout: New Vegas - Playstation 3 by Bethesda (PlayStation 3)
3.2 out of 5 stars   (404)