2,109 of 2,122 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars How to adjust the grind & video review
Published 22 months ago by Claire Jordan

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best option, but...
I wish there was a better option available.

Pros:
Durable (been using nearly a year)
Fairly consistent grind
Easy to adjust
Screw on lid to maintain freshness if you grind before
Grinds enough for a cup in under a minute

Cons:
Published 23 months ago by Hippo!!

2,109 of 2,122 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars How to adjust the grind & video review, September 26, 2012
Length:: 2:01 Mins

The Kyocera and the Hario Skerton are reportedly the same grinder, just with different labels.

We've been using this hand grinder for about a year and love it more and more all the time. At first we found it somewhat annoying because it seemed to take forever to grind the morning coffee, but now we find that it's a great reminder to sloooow down a little - and honestly, it really only takes a minute. But it's become somewhat of a morning meditation. There aren't any real instructions that come with it, so it took me a frustrating half an hour to figure out how to set the grind size. I thought it might be nice to share what I learned to save others the annoyance, so I got out my video camera this morning and put together this product overview along with instructions on setting the grind size.

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

Thanks,
Claire

4.0 out of 5 stars Great grinder, but inconsistant for larger grinds, May 13, 2010
This review is from: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (Kitchen)
This is a fabulous grinder, hands down. Ceramic conical burrs literally last a lifetime, very easy to clean and adjust to very fine or bigger grind. Be aware though, the design of this grinder allows for too much play in the shaft for bigger grinds and becomes inconsistant. Google skerton hand grinder mod for a cheap effective modification that vastly increases stability of the upper burr. You cannot buy a better grinder for espresso. ZERO grind retention, very low static, and the glass catch bin fits a portafilter perfectly for mess free dosing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Grinder, But Here's a Suggestion:, June 27, 2011
This review is from: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (Kitchen)
This is a nice, cost-effective coffee grinder for anyone who doesn't mind expending some elbow grease before getting that first sip of freshly-ground, freshly-brewed coffee. I basically agree with all the favorable things folks have said in other reviews for this and the similar Kyocera model. What I personally like is the very evenly ground coffee (for drip), plus the fact that the grinder is very easy to clean, with almost no place for stale coffee grounds to accumulate.

One thing I would suggest for anyone buying one of these: visit your local hardware store and get a split-ring lock washer (preferably stainless steel) to put under the top cap that screws down on top of the crank handle. The top cap seems to loosen easily and repeatedly during the grinding process, which probably puts needless wear and tear on the grinder handle and shaft, as well as the plastic bearing that holds the shaft. Adding a lock washer has solved this issue for me.

I can't tell you what size to buy, unfortunately. I just found one that fit, and didn't make note of the size. It cost all of 20˘, including sales tax.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modification For French Press Makes It Perfect, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (Kitchen)
I bought this for my husband, a coffee connoisseur. Buying a good quality electric burr grinder was well outside what I could afford, but he loves this one. Here's the key though, if you, like my husband, use a French press regularly: get the lower bearing modification from OrphanEspresso.com. On the coarse setting needed for a press, the Skerton, without the modification, will give you an inconsistent grind. Adding the lower bearing modification gives you an incredibly consistent very coarse grind. My husband says he's never been able to get a better coarse grind with any other grinder. And, even with the additional cost of buying the modification, this is still a very affordable option to please any connoisseur. One potential issue though is that, once you put in the modification, unless you remove it (which would be heart-breaking since it's a pain to install), you won't be able to get a super fine grind like you would need for espresso.

Tip: The Skerton is pretty much exactly the same as the Kyocera CM-50 (only perceivable difference: one has slightly more opaque plastic). The price of each varies occasionally, so, if you want this grinder, check them both out to find the cheaper one (here's the Kyocera CM-50: http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CM-50-CF-Ceramic-Grinder/dp/B003S9XF7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357940693&sr=8-1&keywords=kyocera+coffee+mill).

Check out these videos about the Hario Skerton, Kyocera CM-50, and the lower bearing modification for both:
[...]
[...]

If you decide to buy the modification, a 10mm combination wrench works for installing it (they don't say in the video). It can be hard to install and Orphan Espresso's website is hard to navigate, but it's all worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hario Hand Grinder, May 7, 2010
This review is from: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (Kitchen)
At first, i was met with disappointment. I didn't realize it was going to take a minutes to grind coffee for my french press. But in reality, it takes a long to grind as it does for your water to boil (it is just something you get used to), and this grinder is of excellent quality. For coffee connoisseur wanting a conical burr grinder for under 50 bucks, this is your answer. Its electrical equivalent averages $200 in cost, making this a great money saver. Grinds fine enough for espresso and turkish grind (though turkish takes a long time to grind) and coarse enough for a french press.

A quality grinder makes a difference. Prior to this, i was using a mr. coffee blade grinder, which doesn't crush the beans just cuts them. The coffee oils were released, and I wasn't getting the full flavor of the coffee.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best option, but..., August 5, 2012
This review is from: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (Kitchen)
I wish there was a better option available.

Pros:
Durable (been using nearly a year)
Fairly consistent grind
Easy to adjust
Screw on lid to maintain freshness if you grind before
Grinds enough for a cup in under a minute

Cons:
A lot of small particles. The grinding mechanism wobbles on larger grinds (french press, for example) so it grinds uneven sizes
Noisy
Always spits out beans and chaff when you get to the end - really needs a lid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, setting grind is tedious, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (Kitchen)
I really like the consistency and control of the grind. The price is excellent for a bur grinder. However, the product comes with no instructions what-so-ever and there are no markings or guides of any kind to assist you in setting the grind. You have to take the crank completely off and twist in a somewhat arbitrary manner to adjust the grind and then you have to put it all back together again, drop in some beans and grind away to test if you like the new setting. You could easily go through 1/4 lbs of beans for each time you want to adjust your grind. I've resigned myself to pick a single grind setting and stick with it so that has limited the usability since I can't do both a chemex grind and a french-press grind without a lot of work and wasted beans. If you are okay with this, or only intend to use it to produce grinds for a single style of brewing then this is an excellent choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, use it every day, December 4, 2011
This grinder has been a part of my morning routine for two years now. I use it on a coarse setting for my French press, so the grinding doesn't take too long - I've got my cup's worth in the press by the time the water's hot. Hand grinding is a process that starts out laborious but becomes more enjoyable as the aroma of fresh-ground coffee fills the air. I could see how it wouldn't be for everyone, but for me it's a slice of Zen in the morning.

Also, the grinder is surviving me handily. I've dropped the glass, the grinder section has been dropped burr-first on a tile floor, and my kids threw a bit of gravel in with the beans one morning. The only visible damage from the abuse is a small chip out of the bottom of the burr; the grinder still works perfectly. It's definitely a sturdy piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars No lid. No problem. Still love it!, February 1, 2012
Bad 'Ol Kat (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (Kitchen)
Well, I can't say I disagree with any of the reviews, positive or negative. Only for me the negatives are negligible. It does take some effort to grind, but then, isn't that why they invented electric grinders? Anything manual takes more effort. That being said, the grind for me is pretty consistent and provides a nice brew that compliments my morning ritual. As my water is heating I can grind the beans and they're both ready at about the same time. The ground beans do taste better than the pre-ground store bought coffee I'd been drinking. As for the jumping beans, I used a lid from a disposable plastic drink cup between the handle and the lock washer and it works fine. It fits nicely on top and no more jumpers! It rotates with the handle but does the job. Overall, no complaints so far and I'm very glad I bought it. I feel better for having ground my own, not using electricity and better tasting coffee. What more could I or you want? I'm 49, so we'll see how I feel in ten years time when I'm still grinding my own. I'll keep you posted!

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say, it grinds coffee, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (Kitchen)
I was looking for a coffee grinder to grind coffee for a chemex drip. I have a Mazzer Super Jolly at home for espresso, and it was a pain to dial it back in everytime I wanted espresso. I didn't want to spend a whole lot on a grinder, so I picked this up.

I am glad I did because it grinds the coffee and I have no complaints with it. Yeah, you get a little workout, but nowadays, a lot of us do. :) It probably takes about 200 cranks to get ~50 grams of coarse ground coffee. It sounds like a lot, but it's really not bad.

I'm glad I bought this and would recommend it. The seller shipped it and it got to me quickly. The only thing I can think of to make this product better would be include english instructions. I could figure it out from the pictures and playing with it a little, but I can see how people may get confused.

Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton