Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton Storage Capacity (100g)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

The Kyocera and the Hario Skerton are the same grinder, just with different labels.

Update: Since I posted this video Hario has added a silicone lid and bottom cap to this grinder. Both are very helpful - the lid keeps the beans from bouncing out while you grind and the cup on the bottom helps to hold it firmly on the counter when you grind.

Original review:

We've been using this hand grinder for about a year and love it more and more all the time. At first we found it somewhat annoying because it seemed to take forever to grind the morning coffee, but now we find that it's a great reminder to sloooow down a little - and honestly, it really only takes a minute. But it's become somewhat of a morning meditation. There aren't any real instructions that come with it, so it took me a frustrating half an hour to figure out how to set the grind size. I thought it might be nice to share what I learned to save others the annoyance, so I got out my video camera this morning and put together this product overview along with instructions on setting the grind size.

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

Thanks,
Claire
239239 comments|4,014 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2014
My order was filled by Update Products International. While it looks like a decent copy, it IS a copy. There is not one single marking on the entire product to indicate that it's a Hario. Every picture I've seen of these show Hario stamped all over the product. There are many key differences from what is pictured and what was sent to me. The top nut is shaped differently, the key that locks the adjustment gear in place only has one leg instead of 2, there is no hopper cover, the glass grind catcher doesn't have ribs on it, the burrs are white and have chips taken out of them. This was supposed to be a new item... To see what this item should look like, go check it out at Sweet Marias. It's $12 more there, but most likely you would get what you paid for. I'm uploading some pictures of what I got as a warning to future buyers.

EDIT: ON 1/15/16 I ORDERED ANOTHER ONE FROM AMAZON. I MADE SURE TO CHOOSE A SELLER WHO WAS AMAZON AND FULFILLED BY AMAZON. I GOT EXACTLY WHAT I EXPECTED. A GENUINE HARIO SKERTON WITH ALL ACCESSORIES. I'M VERY PLEASED NOW. FOR EVERYONE READING THIS REVIEW - MAKE SURE TO ORDER FROM THE AMAZON SELLER/FULFILLED BY AMAZON. As for the grinder itself. I will definitely be modding the lower bearing, as there is a ton of wobble/play in the shaft as you grind, causing inconsistencies. I'll order from Orphan Espresso since there is only one other bearing kit sold on amazon and it doesn't include the washer replacement and OE went through the trouble of creating a very good tutorial video on the mod.
review image review image review image
1717 comments|456 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2014
After reading what seems like hundreds of reviews for various mills and grinders, I settled on the Hario Ceramic Mill. I love this product! As others have pointed out, it's very well made, as well as easy to use and clean.

The thing is, if you're planning on brewing more than a cup at a time, it does take time and frankly can wear you out. I've been using the mill to grind coffee for use in a French Press, which highlights another shortcoming that has been mentioned by many reviewers. That is, when using it to grind coarser coffee (as for a press), the grinds can be inconsistent in size. That seems to be a result of two things: when you loosen the burr enough to produce the larger grinds and then turn the crank, the play in the axle moves the shaft back and forth allowing grinds of different sizes to get through.

Here's what I did. Removed the crank handle and replaced it with a "connecting nut", which is basically a nut about one inch long that fits the shaft. The size you need is metric 6 (or M6). It cost me $1 at a local hardware store. When I'm ready to grind the coffee, I put in the beans, put the cover on and attach my cordless drill to the connecting nut. It used to take more than 6 minutes to grind enough coffee for three cups by hand and now it takes no more than 90 seconds. Another benefit of this method is that the constant downward pressure of the drill on the shaft while grinding (as opposed the side to side pull of the crank) results in grinds that are very consistent in size - even when producing a course grind for a French Press!

Obviously, don't go full-speed on the drill. A slow and steady speed will do the job and not damage the beans or the grinder. Another tip is to hold the jar in one hand and the drill in the other while grinding rather than putting the jar on a counter. It can "wiggle" a little bit while grinding and your hands act as shock absorbers during the process, making it much easier.

Enjoy!
review image
44 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2011
This is a nice, cost-effective coffee grinder for anyone who doesn't mind expending some elbow grease before getting that first sip of freshly-ground, freshly-brewed coffee. I basically agree with all the favorable things folks have said in other reviews for this and the similar Kyocera model. What I personally like is the very evenly ground coffee (for drip), plus the fact that the grinder is very easy to clean, with almost no place for stale coffee grounds to accumulate.

One thing I would suggest for anyone buying one of these: visit your local hardware store and get a split-ring lock washer (preferably stainless steel) to put under the top cap that screws down on top of the crank handle. The top cap seems to loosen easily and repeatedly during the grinding process, which probably puts needless wear and tear on the grinder handle and shaft, as well as the plastic bearing that holds the shaft. Adding a lock washer has solved this issue for me.

I can't tell you what size to buy, unfortunately. I just found one that fit, and didn't make note of the size. It cost all of 20¢, including sales tax.
2222 comments|463 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2010
This is a fabulous grinder, hands down. Ceramic conical burrs literally last a lifetime, very easy to clean and adjust to very fine or bigger grind. Be aware though, the design of this grinder allows for too much play in the shaft for bigger grinds and becomes inconsistant. Google skerton hand grinder mod for a cheap effective modification that vastly increases stability of the upper burr. You cannot buy a better grinder for espresso. ZERO grind retention, very low static, and the glass catch bin fits a portafilter perfectly for mess free dosing.
44 comments|327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2013
I bought this for my husband, a coffee connoisseur. Buying a good quality electric burr grinder was well outside what I could afford, but he loves this one. Here's the key though, if you, like my husband, use a French press regularly: get the lower bearing modification from OrphanEspresso.com. On the coarse setting needed for a press, the Skerton, without the modification, will give you an inconsistent grind. Adding the lower bearing modification gives you an incredibly consistent very coarse grind. My husband says he's never been able to get a better coarse grind with any other grinder. And, even with the additional cost of buying the modification, this is still a very affordable option to please any connoisseur. One potential issue though is that, once you put in the modification, unless you remove it (which would be heart-breaking since it's a pain to install), you won't be able to get a super fine grind like you would need for espresso.

Tip: The Skerton is pretty much exactly the same as the Kyocera CM-50 (only perceivable difference: one has slightly more opaque plastic). The price of each varies occasionally, so, if you want this grinder, check them both out to find the cheaper one (here's the Kyocera CM-50: http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CM-50-CF-Ceramic-Grinder/dp/B003S9XF7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357940693&sr=8-1&keywords=kyocera+coffee+mill).

Check out these videos about the Hario Skerton, Kyocera CM-50, and the lower bearing modification for both:
[...]
[...]

If you decide to buy the modification, a 10mm combination wrench works for installing it (they don't say in the video). It can be hard to install and Orphan Espresso's website is hard to navigate, but it's all worth it.
44 comments|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2015
Here's a handy reference photo for setting the right grind size. I agree with many of the reviews that say the consistency breaks down for coarser grinds. Otherwise this thing is perfect. It's built really well and is simple to take apart and put together again.
on November 12, 2014
I got the correct item. It showed up in the proper packaging with Japanese (as opposed to Chinese) instructions. I ordered mine specifically from Amazon because I read the reviews about people receiving a knock-off item. The only downside about this item is that it's much slower than an electric powered unit. For me to grind my daily coffee would take at least three minutes of elbow grease. It could also benefit from a handle on the side to lock your fingers into and the base could be wider so it would be more stable if you're holding it onto a counter top while using it. Otherwise all of the other reviews mention the rest you might want to know about the product. I'm uploading a photo to show what the packaging and contents look like if you're worried that you got a cheap knock-off version. It also shows the size scale next to my electric grinder I'm replacing.
on January 9, 2016
It's a long story why I have two hand grinders. One is a real Hario. The other is a copy. One works, one doesn't. They're both identical except the ceramic grinder. The Hario that's grey works great. The clone that's white can't even grind - it'll only crush. If you get one with the white ceramic, get rid of it.
on February 23, 2015
sadly, this one falls short in quality: perhaps its a defective unit, but I don't have a second one to confirm.

Dont get me wrong, this thing was amazing! Key word.. WAS. I bought this a month ago and was grinding up beans daily with it. Took me about 5 minutes or so to grind because I didn't speed through it: I figure one will wear out the burrs if you grind too fast, and you may even make those ceramic burrs heat up and affect the grounds due to friction. Anyway, I didn't use it for any espresso application..mostly pour-over / drip.

For about 2-3 weeks, this thing was great. Then a week or so ago, I started to notice that I was grinding past the 10 minute mark and there were still a ton beans on the upper chamber. Keep in mind that I only would grind a maximum of 25grams which doesn't even go above halfway in the hopper. I noticed the burrs just spinning with grounds in between, but basically mushed and it was stopping the rest of the whole beans to come down. Only fix is for me to empty the upper chamber, unhinge the screws and manually empty and finger-clean the "stuck mush" in between the burrs. Put everything back together, ensuring I had the same grind-wheel setting, then regrind. Very frustrating!

I surely doubt I wore out these burrs already. They're ceramic and I've heard people have them for months (some years). I have no idea why it started doing this and I really didn't do anything different from when I started using it (when it worked).

Anyway, this is sad because I JUST passed my 30 day return threshold and its no longer eligible even for an exchange. If anyone has any fix for this, that would be great.

I own other Hario products and they're all awesome. This is by far the biggest disappointment. I wish I can recommend this to others, but with my experience and frustration as of late, I'd say save your money and invest in an electric conical burr grinder like the Baratza Encore.

UPDATE 3/10/2015 - This thing is garbage!! Its worthless at this point! I'm so frustrated with grinds getting stuck between the burrs. I know some beans are oilier than others but I've tried just about everything (fresh roast and old). IT ALWAYS GETS STUCK! and I'm there grinding nothing. Its so frustrating! I almost chucked this to the wall this morning. Took a photo of how those grinds get stuck. I dont think I can pay someone to even take this thing. Its crap. Sorry Hario.
review image
66 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse