Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on October 26, 2011
It's Kate Beaton being hilarious with weird historical figures. If you love her comic, you'll love this beautifully crafted book, plain & simple.
on March 6, 2015
Much of this is rather amusing, though some of it missed the mark for me.

Have to be honest, I did want more Napoleon. Ah well.
on May 8, 2014
One of my wife's favorite books I have gotten her. I recommend it to anyone who loves Kate Beaton and comics in general.
on December 21, 2015
I seem to be in the minority here. It's not that I didn't enjoy reading this book, but I don't seem to have found it hysterically funny or even laugh-out-loud funny. At most it was mildly amusing, a chuckle here, a snort there.

It isn't that I didn't get the references, I am fairly familiar with all the characters referred to in the book, the literary references, the historical figures, and so on. I did enjoy the illustrations and the cleverness behind some of the twists in literary and historical events, however, for the most part, I just found it to be...well, a bit meh.

I certainly don't think it deserves to be published in a book, it is funnier in pieces, funnier in small installments perhaps in a magazine or newspaper, but as a collection, it eventually gets a bit redundant, I'm afraid.
on January 26, 2013
If you like history, get this book. The commentary on Liszt, Beethoven, the Kennedys and the Brontës will make you cackle. If you like vampires and/or werewolves, get this book. There are sexy feminist vampires and Dark Age dudes masquerading as werewolves to get all the hot babes (that ploy didn't turn out so well in the middle ages...). If you like comics or reading or being constantly amused--some bits had me weeping with laughter, particularly the Great Gatsbys--definitely treat yourself to this book. It's visually lovely inside and out, and there are enough comics to read and reread for a long time without getting bored of the same ones. I got it for my sister for Christmas and am now regretting not getting one for myself!
on January 26, 2012
Admittedly I haven't read much of it as I've been a fan of the comic for years and have read all of it for free multiple times, really just bought this to throw money at Kate Beaton. But the book is great, too! Very well put together hardcover number, very high quality. And the comics are all intelligently organised, and entries in a series aren't spread out randomly throughout the collection like they are online

And duh if you've never read the comic check it out at [...] then come back here and buy this gosh jeez c'mon man gosh just do it jeez gosh
on November 28, 2011
Bought this for myself: FANTASTIC! Kate Beaton proves the rule that to be funny you only have to tell the truth. From Nancy Drew to David Bowie, 19th century naval battles to 1980s business women -- everything she illustrates is worth reading and re-reading, for the laughs and a little bit of knowledge. Wonderful for nerds of all kinds and people who just enjoy a well-drawn comic. (Been a long-time fan of Hark! A Vagrant and now I'm glad to have a copy of her work to keep.)
on October 11, 2012
I saw this book while browsing a bookstore and flipped through it. The first I read was a Jane Eyre comic which was very funny. I checked out Kate Beaton's website before I actually bought the book and enjoyed her sense of humor so much I needed the book, even though you can find most of the cartoon strips for free at her website. Much easier to sit down with a book. I love how she weaves histroy and literature with her rye sense of humor. She is sort of like the historical version of McSweeney's. I definitely need to pick up her first book, now.
on November 5, 2011
Kate Beaton is one of the best comic writer-artists around! Her art is fantastically expressive and memorable, and her writing shows a keen understanding of her characters and subjects through a lens of well-tuned comedic sensibility.

The book itself is of even better quality than I expected. The binding feels very sturdy and the printing looks great. It's an excellent publication for this consistently entertaining cartoonist.
on December 30, 2013
love this comic and have been a long-time reader. I was kind of sad that the headless horseman comic wasn't in the book (its my favorite!) Maybe next time. :)

Kate Beaton's drawing style is fabulous and her humor is spot on. Check out the comic online if you haven't read her stuff before, though, and make sure it's something you like. Really sturdy hard-cover, looks like it'll last through many, many readings.